It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2004, 05:36 AM   #1
(male)

dg456 HB User
Ab Routine?

Anyone have any suggestions for a good ab routine?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-05-2004, 06:35 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Black Kat HB User
Re: Ab Routine?

Right now my husband & I are doing Tamilee Webb's "I want those abs" tape. The tape has two 15 minute ab routines. The first workout is more for beginners & the second is more advanced. She is a really good instructor & she covers the entire midsection. My husband also just bought me the book "The Complete Book of Abs for Women", & it is also wonderful! It covers everything from ab routines to nutrition. Hope this helps!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-05-2004, 07:14 PM   #3
Makkankosappo

Lower:
Pelvic tilts, 2 sets, 20 reps
Reverse crunch, 2 sets, 20 reps
Leg lifts, 2 sets, 10 reps

Obliques:
Cross reaches, 2 sets, 10 reps / side
Oblique crunches, 2 sets, 10 reps / side
Oblique leg lifts, 2 sets, 10 reps / side

Upper:
Crunches, 2 sets, 20 reps
"L" crunches, 2 sets, 10 reps
Super crunches, 2 sets, 10 reps (6-count exercise)

That's the routine I use.

Old 05-06-2004, 04:24 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

davelacb HB User

Unless you are skinny enough around you stomach you will not get cut from ab exercises.

Old 05-06-2004, 09:02 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

Evl316 HB User

There are a million different ab exercises and they all pretty much work. You can seperate into probably 3 groups. Those that target the lower abs, those that target the upper abs and those that target the obliques or the side of the abs. Personally what I think when it comes to ab exercises is it's really good to keep your abs under stress throughout the entire movement. The trick is not to come up so far that you lose the contraction on your abs or go down to far to lose the contraction on the abs. Better yet you can simply maintain a position that puts major stress on the ab as long as you can and that really hits them as well.

Old 05-07-2004, 02:00 PM   #6
Senior Veteran

Magpiezoe HB User

Hello, The May issue of Family Circle has 3 pages of some nice ab workouts. I was surprised to see them in there. To add to those, I remember seeing Arnold on "Health Secrets of the Stars." He said he does leg pulls and demonstrated them. He also said that if he wants to loose weight fast he just cuts out the starches rather than doing low carbs and only stays on it for a short time. (That means he'll eat oranges, but not bananas, pasta, bread, potatoes, peas , corn, and rice.) I tried the leg pulls, and he is right about them working fast. The only problem was that my hips hurt. You sit on the edge of a bench or chair, then put stretch your legs out in front of you and pull them in until you're tired...Don't let your feet touch the ground.

Old 05-07-2004, 02:21 PM   #7
Senior Veteran

Evl316 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpiezoe
Hello, The May issue of Family Circle has 3 pages of some nice ab workouts. I was surprised to see them in there. To add to those, I remember seeing Arnold on "Health Secrets of the Stars." He said he does leg pulls and demonstrated them. He also said that if he wants to loose weight fast he just cuts out the starches rather than doing low carbs and only stays on it for a short time. (That means he'll eat oranges, but not bananas, pasta, bread, potatoes, peas , corn, and rice.) I tried the leg pulls, and he is right about them working fast. The only problem was that my hips hurt. You sit on the edge of a bench or chair, then put stretch your legs out in front of you and pull them in until you're tired...Don't let your feet touch the ground.

A lot of people at my gym do the leg pull but they also do crunches at the same time so they are bringing the legs up and torso up at the same time. That looks pretty effective. Another advanced ab exercise for the lower abs is to take 2 dumbells (say 50 pounders) and lay them on the floor, put your hands on the handles and straighten your arms so you are in a sitting position with your legs not bent and straight out in front of you with your butt a few inches off the ground. Then you take your feet and legs and lift them a few inches off the ground too and hold for as long as you can. Be warned, this is very difficult.

Closed Thread