It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2004, 07:23 PM   #1
(male)

ixocean HB User
Opinions on my routine...

I've been exercising regularly for the last several weeks and recently read a book on exercise and fitness that had some things which I've incorporated into my routine. The book mentioned that you should workout in the morning, after waking up and having 16 oz of water, as opposed to any another time of day. (The book claims you burn 300% more fat at that time of day due to the fact your body is nearly devoid of triglycerides.) It stated that if you cannot workout in the morning, you should workout no sooner than 3 hours after eating a meal. The book went on to suggest that if you choose to exercise any time other than the morning that you should begin with weights as it will burn triglycerides subsequently allowing your body to burn more calories/fat.

My routine is 20 minutes of weight training followed by 30 minutes of cardio, five days a week in the afternoons.

I'm wondering if anyone has opinions or suggestions for me?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by ixocean; 05-05-2004 at 07:24 PM.

Old 05-05-2004, 11:37 PM   #2
Inactive

Laurie2 HB User
Re: Opinions on my routine...

Some lifters swear by "Morning only" workouts and others will say, it does not matter. Lifting with something in the stomach or with nothing....the same thing.

My college women's strength classes were in the late afternoon/early evening and just got into the habit of lifting about the same time when working out at home. I did workout during the early morning, one semester, because my son was taking a lifting class then....then finish with another routine in my own evening classes. I would have to say, I felt more energized for the rest of the day. But then, driving home so late at night after mine, taking my son home from his classes .....the exercise kept me energized and AWAKE driving down a long windy rural state highway.

My son was on a two year tuition free scholarship but did not have a car yet at the time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2004, 09:09 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

Evl316 HB User

morning cardio has long been said to be the best time to do it. However, a more recent study indicates a person is best to exercise when they most feel like it. When your circadium rhythm is at it's peak. This is generally in the afternoon for most people. Earlier perhaps for the early birds, later perhaps for the night owls. Now this has nothing to do with triglycerides or any of that. It's a study that simply says people have more energy at certain times of the day and a person is likely to get a good exercise when doing it at a time they feel energized.

Old 05-06-2004, 03:28 PM   #4

never2L8 HB User

The book you have read sounds like it is focusing on weight/fat loss. Morning cardio is supposed to be beneficial for fat loss, by exercising before consuming any energy you are forcing your body to tap into it's reserves (hopefully fat). Exercise can also get you going in the morning but this can depend on what you are doing and how hard you work out (I exercise just before lunch and am ready for a sleep by about 3pm).

My theory is that this is not the same for people who want to build muscle or get stronger because your body can start breaking down protein for energy which can defeat the purpose. I find that if I try and lift weights on an empty stomach, my hunger can distract me and I don't have enough energy to push myself, so I eat lightly about an hour before I work out.

For general fitness I say that doing it is the important thing, regardless of what, when, where or how. We are all individuals, there is no one time that suits everyone and you are better off finding a time that you are likely to stick to. If you force yourself to exercise at a time you hate or feel uncomfortable with you are more likely to quit.

Old 05-06-2004, 04:33 PM   #5
(male)

ixocean HB User

Thanks so much in advance for everyone's feedback. I'm really feeling encouraged not only by reading other stories but also being able to communicate with other like-minded people - almost like a free support network! I do want to add that I have dropped 2lbs consistently for the last two days, is this something to be concerned about? My initial thought was that now that I am keeping my caloric intake under 2000kcal per day, and excerising so often that my body is shedding the excess weight fairly quickly. Any additional thoughts on this? For the record, I am a 28 y/o male and currently weigh 215lbs. About a year ago I gradually started to lose weight and went from 247 down to 220 as recent as last week and then began the 2lbs per day for the last two days (losing the extra LB somewhere prior). BTW, I drink a fair amount of water; two glasses in the morning, several throughout the day at work, another one or more during my workout, one glass once I'm home and then by the time I go to bed I've perhaps had another two to three glasses.

Thanks again!

Last edited by ixocean; 05-06-2004 at 04:34 PM.

Closed Thread