It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2004, 01:07 AM   #1
Senior Veteran

justme_ HB User
Question weight gain in the future?

Ok, so right now I'm trying to lose weight and everything. At the moment I have time to go to the gym everyday, do cardio and some weightlifting. But in a few years from now on I'm sure I'm going to be a very busy woman and well if I suddenly have to cut back on exercising, like maybe twice a week, will I suddenly gain more weight, far more than I am now which is a healthy weight? Should I only go to the gym 3 times a week or so, so my body wouldn't get used to this? I know that I would burn less without exercising so I should eat as much as I burn, but still I don't know you see all these people with these yoyo diets and everything, it's just frustrating.

Old 05-06-2004, 01:27 AM   #2
Inactive

Laurie2 HB User
Re: weight gain in the future?

Learn proper nutrition and eating properly coupled with a good workout program...will keep you in shape for years to come. Even if you end up ony working out twice a week, you can still keep the intensity to burn the calories/bodyfat. Learning to eat right will become a lifestyle you can keep.

I found this out after going through a year of college women's strength classes. I had to relearn how to eat properly and what to eat during that time. My diet was a mess...if you could call it that at all. I took the classes because at 52 and 245, had become less flexible, back hurt, getting fatigued and out of balance. Finally was sick and tired of being this way for so many years.

Overall, I lost 60lbs taking the classes three times a day for an hour/90 minutes each session. Now it has been six months since the last class ended and I still maintain a twice a week workout schedule. Sometimes it is an hour, sometimes only 30 minutes because of my work and family. Couple with, finally, maintaining a proper diet...this has become a lifestyle I can keep for the rest of my life.

I wear a leather belt that I wore with my size 48 jeans for over 20 years. After starting the classes back in Fall 2002....and starting to see inches drop.....I would punch holes backwards. Now I am able to wear pre marriage size clothes (been married 33 years) and still have that belt to wear with new jeans. To remind me of where I had been and how far I had come.

I am 5'6"/largeboned and 180lbs. I had built up some muscle in that year as I found I liked lifting and ran with the class's premise. I was about 165 when I first married. Had never been skinny as a teen but kept pretty fit riding a 10 sp all over San Diego at the time. Muscle is denser than bodyfat. I dont mind the exchange....feel much stronger, got my flexibility back. My back doesnt hurt anymore and feel much, much better.

I do not want to go back up again.

Last edited by Laurie2; 05-06-2004 at 01:32 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2004, 05:42 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

justme_ HB User

oh wow, you sure have accomplished a lot with all of your hard work! congrats on that. I already do have a very healthy diet.. i was just thinkin if i suddenly stopped exercising this much my body would get out of shape really quickly, but i guess if i did weightlifting twice a week that'd be more effective then some aerobics right? oh well those years are yet to come but i just wanna know im not making things worse by doing it pretty extreme.

Old 05-06-2004, 01:29 PM   #4
Inactive

Laurie2 HB User

Lifting forces your body to work harder than just cardio alone. Why most suggest a combination if you want to do that. I just weightlifted to lose the bodyfat and gain body strength. Not that I didnt want to do cardio. It was I was seeing more results with the lifting. The gym did have a stairstepper and a stationary bike. Just never used them.

It is a myth that once you stop, all that muscle turns to flab quickly. You will eventually lose some muscle bulk, if you stop altogether but this takes time. However, you will stay strong. Only if you keep eating like you were lifting (to keep the energy up) you may gain some weight. You tend to eat more calories while lifting is why. However eating a good diet and watching your calorie intake, you can maintain your weight.

It is even suggested that taking off a week or two from lifting is fine if you have been going hard for six to eight weeks. As a "rest period" and then continue. There have been a couple of times I had to do this for family/business reasons and then went back. Just started out abit lighter than my last lifting routine showed and proceeded to progress from there. At this point, I am maintaining what I gained so far. I have tweaked my diet and now lost five more pounds. Maybe I will get to 165 afterall, finally lose all my stomach and see my abs But in the meantime, just enjoy keeping my upper body strength.

It certain came in handy a couple of days ago. While driving home alone on a long windy rural state highway, a rear tire blew on my 79 Cordoba. I had to change the tire myself. Not near as tiring as the last time I had to do this last year after six months into my classes....nor as exhausting as when I had to do this, some years back, at 245. I carry a 2 1/2 lb hammer in my toolkit to help "break"/finish tighten the lugnuts with while using the "four way". The next day my shoulders were abit sore but it was a good feeling. So lifting has other benefits other than just losing bodyfat and better health.

You may find you need that extra strength in an everyday circumstance.

But in the long run, doing some kind of exercise twice a week is a very good idea. You are taking time for yourself doing something to feel good overall.

Old 05-06-2004, 01:35 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

justme_ HB User

oh yes, well thanks for your good advice.. you always do

Closed Thread