It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2004, 09:43 PM   #1

steeletugboat HB User
Question built, but still fat

hey, I have been working out now for about three months...almost straight. i do a lot of wieght lifting. Curls, benching, thrusts, squats, push-ups, walking, sit-ups, and even jump roping. i have been doing this for three months, six days a week. However, i can not lose the "ring of fat". you know, the gut and the love handles. i was wondering if there is anything i can do.....@home. I am kinda broke, so i can't afford a gym subscription, or a home gym. all i have are my dumbells, barbells, a jump rope, and my own two feet. I walk about 4.5 miles a day, sometimes nine. and i am a very active guy. please, if anyone out there knows a way to help, please help. thank you

Old 05-07-2004, 01:34 AM   #2
Inactive

Laurie2 HB User
Re: built, but still fat

What have you done about your diet?

Since you started, what has your wardrobe been like? Looser, the same or ? You cannot go by the scales in the beginning. Too many factors cause daily fluctuations ....so your clothes are a better indicator of change at first as your body "shifts" around. Losing that "tire" is going to take time, patience. You will have to stay determined and stay motivated. The first place the body stores the fat, will be the last place to go. But the body takes fat from all over....not just one place. Why there is no such thing as "spot reducing."

What you are wanting to do is lose bodyfat. Losing weight is a misnomer really. You can stay the same "weight" but lost some bodyfat/waterweight and exchange it for muscle. Muscle is denser than bodyfat but smaller in size. A tangerine size portion of lean muscle weighs about the same as two grapefruit size portions of bodyfat.

But lifting does force the body to work harder and keeps the metabolism up longer than cardio. You might want to cut down the cardio and stick with the weightlifting. If you feel you need it, then just some after the lifting or on the non lifting days. What have you been doing in the way of sets, reps and weights? Strength training is lifting moderately heavy weights for 4 sets of 10 reps or lower. Try for a three day split for a hour/90 minutes a session. Rest a minute between each set. Use the cardio as a "cooldown" afterwards.

It sounds like you have everything there to do the job....you dont have to join a gym.

As for diet. Eat 5-6 smaller meals a day...about every three hours if you can. This keeps your metabolism up to burn fat for energy. Try to eat enough calories to keep the metabolism from slowing down and the body conserving fat ("Starvation mode") Increase your protien to about one gram per pound of lean body weight. Lower your carbs....cut the overly processed ones. Eat more complex like whole grains/veggies. Cut the sugar and drink plenty of water. If you cannot eat enough protein through your diet, then use a whey/soy protien powder to fill the gap.

I lost 60lbs taking a year's worth of college women's strength classes. Went from 245 to 180. I am 52 and 5'6"/largeboned. Got sick and tired of being overweight for the 33 years of my marriage. Now I am down to premarriage clothes sizes....although the scales show me to be heavier. I was never skinny and always hefty as a teen. I rode a 10 sp all over San Diego and to college and that kept me fit. But my diet was a mess....hardly ate or did fad diets.

After I started lifting, I noticed inches beginning to drop rather than scale weight. Noticed my jeans were starting to get looser after the first couple of months. But I was depending on my bodyfat to burn the calories for energy while lifting. When I relearned to eat properly.....I lost more weight and gained some muscle mass. Why I weighed more on the scales than my pre marriage clothes sizes would have me think. Then I realized what had happened.

I dont mind the exchange and the upper body strength especially I gained came in handy recently. Blew a rear tire on my 79 Cordoba and changed the tire myself. Last time I had to do this was several years ago when 245 and was exhausted afterwards. Not tired this time. Taking those classes made a big difference. I still lift twice a week since the classes ended six months ago. All I have is an Olympic style (adjustable) bench with Olympic barbell and plates. Have a couple of Ivanko standard dumbbells to go with it. My husband bought the bench/bar for me to workout at home with.

I still have a "tire" to work on and my abs are a mess after two c sections (21 and 18 years ago...both styles). But that "tire" is a heck of alot smaller than when I first started out. I can see definition in areas where fat was covering before. Unlike most women, I carry my fat in the stomach, back and shoulders...like a guy. Always had slim but muscular hips/thighs and butt.

Anyway....stick with it. Give yourself time. Maybe change your lifting routine abit. Go with more poundage maybe. Usually what is needed is a diet tweaking if you havent done it already.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2004, 08:49 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

Evl316 HB User

I'd say diet is the key. I work out lifting regularly but do little in the way of cardio. I've always had a tiny guy and never been able to do anything with it until I tweaked my diet and in no time at all I started loosing it. I cut out skim milk as I used to drink tons of that, cut way down on processed foods, strictly limit starchy foods, and switched from white breads and rice and that sort of thing to whole grains. I eat a lot of meat and nuts and veggies now.

Old 05-07-2004, 11:04 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

Magpiezoe HB User

Hello, You need to do some twists, but don't do them fast or you can pull a muscle. You might also need to add more cardio/aerobic exercise to your routine. A cheap exercise video can do the trick. (Notice I said cheap.)

Old 05-07-2004, 11:25 AM   #5

beebsqtip HB User

I have the same issues. I started working out. I didn't really need to lose weight or inches but when I started I gained weight and inches. Will cutting down on the cardio help. I usually do 30 minutes of cardio after lifting 4x a week.

Last edited by beebsqtip; 05-07-2004 at 11:26 AM.

Old 05-07-2004, 12:49 PM   #6
Senior Veteran

Magpiezoe HB User

Hello, What do you do on your non-lifting days? You might want to continue the cardio or some form of aerobic exercise on non-lifting days to decrease the inches. If you can't exercise 7 days/week, then try 6 days.

Old 05-08-2004, 03:33 AM   #7
(male)

ruglayer09052000 HB User

Cardio, nutrition, and weight training all go hand in hand. Synergistic you might say. 3 work better together than just 1 or 2. Nutrition tops the list, however. Without proper nutrition, you can do the other 2 till the cows come home and still have that roll and love handles. In men, the midsection is the first place we put on fat and the last place we lose it from.

Old 05-11-2004, 11:04 AM   #8
Inactive

VELOWcity HB User

Well, exercise is a science, and tagged that for a very good reason. Yes, nutrition, resistance training, and aerobic activity are all the keys to achieving your goals, but its not that easy. The science comes into effect because you need to figure out what works your body. What stimulates muscle growth, fat loss, raised metabolism. You think 3 sets of a specific workout is going to work for everyone? No. Here are things you should know. To lose fat you need to have expended 3500 calories plus all the calories you ate that week. You think you can do that by just running? Even if you were eating bird seeds all week, still wouldnt be able to expend that many calories and have a life. You are what you eat, different foods help raise your metabolism, so it is NOT just a simple eat less run more, although you will see some results, but not as good as eating right. Once you are built, you just want to maintain your muscle, no need to lift extremely heavy, just use the muscles.. If you are built like you want, id suggest alternate resistance training programs, a program that uses as many muscles as possible, including stablizers. If you build muscle easily, stay away from cardio equip with high resistance.

Old 05-11-2004, 11:15 AM   #9
Inactive

VELOWcity HB User

SIMPLIFIED: 1) Eat Healthy - first off, eat frequently, small meals....lean beef, chicken, veggies, fruits, etc....wheat bread and not after dinner, try not to eat sweets, cola, anything with excess sugar. MANY SMALL MEALS...
2) Train Wisely - Try circuit training, do exercises you normally don't, try to hit all parts of the muscle group. EX. chest(dumbell flys, incline press, cables)..hit all the muscles. They call it specialized training. The more muscles in use, more need for fuel. YOU NEED TO SWEAT
3) Cardio..Try a variety of things, TRY TO DO IT IN THE MORNING BEFORE BREAKFAST. 3-5 a week, 40 min max...if you don't run, you NEED to pay attention to your heart rate.

Good Luck

Old 06-05-2004, 01:38 PM   #10

steeletugboat HB User

All you are doing is building muscle, your problem doesn't come in to the whole fat issue. when you work out, you are building muscle, and burning fat. there is nothing to worry about. However, if you are concerned about the gain, only lift twice a week, and do an hour of cardio to make up

Closed Thread