It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2004, 04:48 AM   #1
(female)

tara_may HB User
Unhappy Losing 5kg before Prom

Hey……
I’ve always been pretty slim – 48 kg to a height of 160cm.
However recently I’ve noticed that I gained about 2 or 3 kg’s.
This got me a little worried.
Yesterday I wore a pair of jeans that always used to be quite loose for me.
And I noticed that they were pretty tight around my waist and belly (especially when I was sitting down).
I went to this restaurant with my parents and I had quite a big dinner (pasta with tomato sauce- yummyyyy) after which I felt so full that I actually had to unzip my jeans…..
Its so odd seriously coz this used to be one of the most comfortable pairs of jeans that I have.
Physically I cant really notice that much of a difference but it just seems like I have become a lot more fat (especially my tummy).
Now I got prom coming up after about a month.
I would really like to lose some of those excess kg’s (around 5 or so) before prom.
Does anyone have any idea on how to achieve sumthing like that relatively quickly?
Plzzzz any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanx,
Tara

Old 05-08-2004, 05:55 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rita HB User
Re: Losing 5kg before Prom

Quote:
Originally Posted by tara_may
Hey……
I’ve always been pretty slim – 48 kg to a height of 160cm.
However recently I’ve noticed that I gained about 2 or 3 kg’s.
This got me a little worried.
Yesterday I wore a pair of jeans that always used to be quite loose for me.
And I noticed that they were pretty tight around my waist and belly (especially when I was sitting down).
I went to this restaurant with my parents and I had quite a big dinner (pasta with tomato sauce- yummyyyy) after which I felt so full that I actually had to unzip my jeans…..
Its so odd seriously coz this used to be one of the most comfortable pairs of jeans that I have.
Physically I cant really notice that much of a difference but it just seems like I have become a lot more fat (especially my tummy).
Now I got prom coming up after about a month.
I would really like to lose some of those excess kg’s (around 5 or so) before prom.
Does anyone have any idea on how to achieve sumthing like that relatively quickly?
Plzzzz any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanx,
Tara
5 kg (about 11 pounds) is totally doable in a month but with your statistics ( 5'3" and about 112 pounds) I think losing that much may be a bit more difficult since you are not even overweight to start with. Maybe you should only try to lose te 2-3 kg you have gained and no more.
The answer to weight loss? Diet, Diet Diet (about 80 percent of success)
Add some exercise (cardio and weight training)
For your diet you should consume about 1100 calories per day, eating a lot of protein, whole grains, vegetables and fruit. Skip (or limit greatly) sugar, cookies, candy. No white bread, pasta, white rice. For dessert have a piece of sweet juicy fruit or a small scoop of ice cream or frozen yogurt. Lots of big salads with tons of vegetables and 2-3 tablespoons of low calorie dressing. A protein rich food such as eggs, fish, lean meat, non-fat dairy or beans at every meal or snack.
Drink lots of water (or other low calories liquid).
Don't skip breakfast.
Eat at least 2 servings of non or low fat dairy per day (it actually helps your body to get rid of fat).
Cardio: 30-45 minutes, 5 -6 days per week. It could be running, walking at an incline (the higher the better), elliptical trainer, jumping rope, biking, etc.,
Weight training: 30 minutes, 2-3 days per week.
Do not eat less than 1100 calories per day.
You should lose the extra 2-3 kg in a month with no problem.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2004, 06:02 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

justme_ HB User

1100 calories will put u in starvation mode. try 1200

Old 05-08-2004, 06:06 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

no patience HB User

atkins i lost 15 lbs in about 2 weeks its awesome but you gotta stick with it plus walk every day

Old 05-08-2004, 06:16 AM   #5
(female)

tara_may HB User

hey thanx a lot guys...!!!
i'll try some of the things that rita & no patience have recommended and see how it works out.
thanx again.
tara

Last edited by tara_may; 05-08-2004 at 06:22 AM.

Old 05-08-2004, 08:13 AM   #6
(female)

tara_may HB User

if anyone has got any other ideas-
possible exercises or diet that could help me to reduce some weight more quickly?
any other tips would be welcome.

Old 05-08-2004, 12:32 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

rita HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tara_may
if anyone has got any other ideas-
possible exercises or diet that could help me to reduce some weight more quickly?
any other tips would be welcome.
As I mentioned before, the diet you need is simply a healthy diet that's low in calories. There are NO diets that will let you lose any more REAL weight. The weight you initially would lose on the popular low carb diets is simply water weight. It will come right back as soon as you start eating carbs so what would be the big deal here? No matter how many diets there are out there (and there are a LOT) none of them do any better than simply eating sensibly with an eye on total calories. So, start eating good things and exercise and I can almost guarantee you that you will lose the weight you want and if you stick with healthy eating (but increase caloric intake in order to maintain desird weight) and exercise you will not regain the lost pounds. Losing weight is fairly easy for most people but keeping it off is very difficult UNLESS changes that were made during weight loss cycle are permanently incorporated into lifestyle.
As far as exercise, again there are no miracles here either. No one special exercise routine that will make fat disappear. It is simply about plain, hard work but it pays off. Trust me.

Old 05-08-2004, 12:38 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

rita HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme_
1100 calories will put u in starvation mode. try 1200
At her weight, 1100 is not going to put her in starvation mode. Because she has so little weight to lose and is fairly thin to start with, in order to lose weight she needs only 1100. More than that and she would probably simply maintain her current weight. Of course, if she gratly increases her activity level by doing high intensity weight training and cardio 6 days a week, then she could up her calories to 1200 and still lose some weight.

Old 05-08-2004, 05:37 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

Be aware with atkins or any low/no carb diet, a lot of the initial weight lost will be water, not fat. The numbers look good on the scale, but it's not making you a whole lot slimmer.

Old 05-09-2004, 08:19 AM   #10
(female)

tara_may HB User

hey....
thanx for the replies guys
i'm new to the exercise and fitness forums so i didnt expect such a good response.
i've already started reducing on some of the fatty food in my diet and started working out .
i just wanted to ask what good exercises i could do to flatten out my tummy (coz as i said also this extra weight seems to be mainly concentrated in that area).

regards,
tara

Old 05-11-2004, 03:58 PM   #11
Inactive

VELOWcity HB User

Ya, use Atkins.. Dr. Atkins, had like what, 5 heart attacks, and now what..oh thats right, HE IS DEAD..

5kg(2.2lb/kilo)

Well first thing is, you probably arent that fat, women are crazy..

You want to look hot in that dress:
-Do not drink cola
-Drink 8-10 glasses of water a day(if you dont pee a lot, drink more)
-Eat well balance and healthy, probably 1200-1600 calorie diet
-Fruits, Veggies, Lean Meat, complex carbs(fruits, potatoes,NOT FrenchFries)
-3-5 SMALL meals a day
-Full body resistance training(use as many muscles as possible)
-Cardio, 40 min a day 3-5 days a week...YOU GOTTA SWEAT
-Sleep

Its hard work and discipline, but ive trained people and they have done it..good luck..

Old 05-11-2004, 10:02 PM   #12
Inactive

temtashun2001 HB User

I had a uncle that never even heard of Atkins ate healthy and exersice never even smoked and had a heart attack! So whats your point? Atkins will make you have a heart attack? I have a aunt thats 73 been doing atkins for 11 years healthier than ever! So again whats your point?

Old 05-12-2004, 02:58 AM   #13
(female)

tara_may HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by VELOWcity

Well first thing is, you probably arent that fat, women are crazy..

well i didnt say that i was fat. if u had read the beginning of my post you would have known what i'm talking about.
anyways i was asking what good exercises i could do to reduce my tummy a little
tara

Old 05-12-2004, 09:10 AM   #14

mybody HB User

VELOWcity gave good advice. You won't be able to reduce your tummy without a good diet and cardio. There are no exercises that will make just your belly go away. You lose weight all over, not in one spot.

Start with the diet and cardio and add some sit-ups and crunches. If you can work in some weights, you see faster improvement in your overall appearance.

The problem with trying to lose weight too quickly (like Atkins and other "fad" diets, which I've done, so I'm not preaching) is that you'll most likely gain the weight back. You need a lifestyle change, not a quick fix.

You're lucky because 1. you're young so starting healthy habits now will help you for the rest of your life. And 2. you'll probably be able to lose your weight pretty fast if you cut out the junk. (It gets harder as you age, so read #1 again )

Stay focused and you'll be the bell of the ball!

Old 05-12-2004, 12:03 PM   #15

shye&curious HB User
Arrow Re: Losing 5kg before Prom

tara -
hey there! i'm a relatively small person too (5'3 and 3 quarters, 107lbs) ... and when i wanted to lose a couple pounds and tone my tummy, pilates was the way to go! i purchased the winsor pilates tapes... they are workouts done by all these famous people, instructed by Mari Winsor... and if you stick to them, they are awesome! theres one tape that is a 20 minute workout that you do about 3-4 times... and on top of that do some walking/running...
anyways, even within a couple weeks icould see results... then i got lazy and quit haha but im planning on starting up again soon!
and with dieting... umm, i just say eat all healthy stuff, don't mind the calories... just don't eat a lot of crap food and drink water!!!
anyways, just an idea, good luck!!!

Closed Thread