It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2004, 07:53 PM   #1
(female)

txcntrygrl HB User
Question about fitness

I just started a diet and workout plan. My question is how much of what am I suppose to do and how much of what can I take (food wise).

I am 5'7" and weigh 168lbs. I would like to get down to 130 if possible (before baby weight).

Here is what i am doing:

30 min of brisk walking/day
10-15 min of free weights/day
15 min elliptical on loose setting/day

I started taking Whey protein drinks.

I am averaging:

1400 calories/day
35g fat/day
200mg cholesteral/day
145g carbs/day
15g fiber/day
42g sugar/day
144g protein/day.

Am I doing okay or should I change anything in my diet or fitness plan?

Old 05-08-2004, 10:45 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User
Re: Question about fitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by txcntrygrl
I just started a diet and workout plan. My question is how much of what am I suppose to do and how much of what can I take (food wise).

I am 5'7" and weigh 168lbs. I would like to get down to 130 if possible (before baby weight).

Here is what i am doing:

30 min of brisk walking/day
10-15 min of free weights/day
15 min elliptical on loose setting/day
That's an odd split, but it's certainly better than nothing. I'd recommend doing weights first (a 5-10 min warmup is ok - and recommended) and then a solid block of 30-45 minutes of cardio afterward. It will give you more energy via glycogen for the weights and as a result, allow your body to tap into more fat for fuel when cardio comes around. I don't know how heavy you are lifting, but if it's heavy enough to be building any muscle mass, you shouldn't lift every day. Muscles need time to repair, usually 24-48 hours. A more elegant solution to this might be to do weights 2 or 3 days a week (i.e. Mon Wed Fri, 30-60 minutes) and cardio on the "off" days, so that you spend more time doing each. Adding some lean muscle will really help with fat loss as it will increase your metabolism in the long term.

One question... what exercises are you doing with weights? I can't imagine how you are working all your muscle groups in 10-15 minutes.

Quote:
I started taking Whey protein drinks.
That's fine but not absolutely necessary. Based on the macro breakdown below, you seem to be getting enough protein (Im assuming this is including the shakes), so if this is helping you reach that level, it's a good thing.

Quote:
I am averaging:

1400 calories/day
35g fat/day
200mg cholesteral/day
145g carbs/day
15g fiber/day
42g sugar/day
144g protein/day.
I would increase calories to between 1500 and 1700 a day and drop or eliminate sugars. Keep carbs complex and low GI when possible. Also, Keep fats unsaturated when possible. EFAs are very important to fat loss. Another big component will be dividing the calories up into small meals every 2-3 hours. Will keep you from being hungry, too.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2004, 08:08 AM   #3
(female)

txcntrygrl HB User

Thanks for replying.

The weights are very light....3lb weights to start with and it is all on my upper body. I haven't done anything with my lower body. I am thinkin gof getting the weights that can velcro to your ankles. I am just starting out so I am doing very little weights. I do have 10lb weights. Should I use those instead?

As for eating....it is kind of hard to figure out what to eat. The mini wheats, plain chicken breast, and potato seemd to carry most of the carbs. Would it be better for me to take Metemucil(sp) to get my fiber in? I guess with time I will have it figured out. Thanks.

Old 05-09-2004, 04:35 PM   #4
Inactive

Laurie2 HB User

Working out with moderately heavy weights for strength/muscle building will force your body to work harder to burn the fat as energy. Those 3lbs should be getting very light for you right now. Upping the weights to 5 to 10lbs would be better. Try for 4 sets of 10 reps with them. Be sure to rest a minute between each set. You might not be able to complete the full 4 set of reps at first but the next time you will get closer, as your arms have gain strength. Keep in good form always to prevent any injuries and to build upper body strength properly. You dont want to do any "cheat moves".

What kind of exercises have you been doing? As Naxis says, 10-15 minutes is not very long nor enough. 30-60 minutes each session is best with cardio afterwards or on non lift days. The lifting keeps your metabolism up longer to burn the bodyfat longer too.

I am 52, 5'6"/largeboned and 180lbs. I took a year's worth of college Women's Strength classes starting back in Fall 2002 and lost 60lbs lifting alone (no cardio). Was 245 when I started and now able to fit into premarriage clothes sizes (33 years ago). Found I liked it and ran with the class's premise, increasing the poundage as I went. I was 165 before marriage but had kept pretty fit with riding a 10 sp all over San Diego. At 180lbs, I figure that extra 20lbs is muscle mass built up during the year of classes with a 3 day split at 90 minutes a session.

The class was a mixture of women of all sizes and ages with most new to this. We all started out with 3-5lbs dbls for the curls and 10lbs for bentover dbl rows (back exercise). Overwise we used machines for the presses (bench, shoulder and leg). There were other freeweights (barbells, benches, et.c) and I eventually took to those at the end of the first semester. My strength in the upper body improved greatly after that for the bench/shoulder work. Most of my leg workouts consisted of squats afterwhile.

You can buy a standard (1" hole) barbell w/plates rather cheaply. The best bars are the solid ones with an inside lip for the plates to butt up against to keep the balance on both sides. They do come with locking collars to keep the plates on. The plates are graduated in size depending on weight with 10lbs being the highest. Depending on the company, these are sold with of 100-136lbs. Some companies also include dumbbell bars as part of the set or you can buy these seperately. This way you can perform barbell or dumbbell exercises. Flat or adjustable lifting benches, if you have room, are useful too.

My husband bought me a Professional Olympic style adjustable bench w/leg extension attachment with bar and plates at the end of my first semester. To use at home between classes during the semester break and after the classes are over. He found this at a local St. Vincent de Paul's for cheap. Quite abit of good exercise equipment finds it way to these places if you do not want or cannot afford to buy new. Iron is iron.

As for diet. Fiberous veggies and whole grains are among the complex carbs (i.e. oatmeal, beans, lentils, whole grain cereals) These are better than using Metamucil for the natural fiber and for the nutrients and vitamins you get. Cut the sugar as these are "empty calories" and you get better energy from the food you get elsewhere. Also you will not suffer from the glucose spike and drop. A small to medium potato is fine but it is a starchy carb.

Better to up your protein through skinless chicken, lean red meat and Tuna. Whey protein suppliments are good if you cannot get enough protein through your regular diet. But do not depend on them alone. Your protein index is fine but you do need to up your calorie intake. Go too low and your body will go into "starvation mode"....meaning your metabolism will slow down to conserve bodyfat. The idea with exercise is to burn more calories than taking in and building lean muscle mass will do this.

Eating 5-6 smaller meals a day is best. About every 3 hours as this keeps your metabolism up and prevents you from getting hungry. Drink plenty of water to keep you hydrated and it does help flush your system. Polyunsaturated fats include Olive oil/flaxseed oil, nuts and peanut butter.

The rest of it is time, patience, determination and keep motivated. Whatever fat you have took time to store and it will take some time to go. Places like the stomach are where the body started storing fat first....and it will be the last to go. There is no such thing as "spot reducing". The body takes the fat from everywhere to be used as energy while exercising/dieting.

Look to your wardrobe first rather than the scales. After a few weeks, you will notice your wardrobe becoming looser as the inches come off although the scales may say the pounds have not or show very little. Keep a journal of your routine and diet. Take a picture of you now and another after 6-8 weeks to see the changes. Dont be surprised that others will see changes in your body appearance before you do. We are so used to a particular body image for so long....it is sometimes like seeing the forest for the trees.

After a year of doing this, I found I had established a lifestyle that will stay with me as long as I live. I have gained alot of upper body strength which is what most women need. Came in handy a few days ago when my Cordoba blew a rear tire while driving alone. Changed the tire myself and was not exhausted as the last time when I was 245.

Good luck with your new program

Old 05-10-2004, 12:18 PM   #5
(female)

txcntrygrl HB User

Thank you both for the information given.

I do have 10lb free weights. I started on the 3lb because I have never lifted before. As for the longest time I can spend on cardio..it just depends on how I am feeling. I can ususally do about 20-30 min.

I weighed today and it said 164 on the scales. lately it had been 168. I understand a lot of it is just water weight.

So if I weight in the 160s and would like to be in the 130s, should I take in at least 1500 calories in order to make it toe 150s and just gradually go down on the calories until I reach my goal. (with the calories not going below 1200-1300 after I reach my weight goal)? How many calories should I burn a day if I was to take in 1400-1500 calories a day? Sorry for all the stupid questions but I am not very well educated in this department.

Old 05-10-2004, 02:42 PM   #6
Inactive

Laurie2 HB User

Actually 1700 would be better. The idea is to burn more calories than taking in. While lifting, you need the extra protein to also repair and build the muscle. Your protein intake should be about one gram to one pound of lean muscle mass. The complex carbs will help give you the energy too.

You are building muscle mass for strength as well as burning the fat. Women do not bulk like the guys....so dont worry there. But building lean muscle mass will also burn the stored fat.

Once you get where you want, you can maintain an exercise program and diet to keep you where you want. But right now, you want the intensity and weight to get you there first.

As for the scales, you are probably right. When first starting out....I actually did not have scales and used my wardrobe as my indicator. Started using a local gym's medical scale after a few weeks for a week or biweekly check but did not use it every day nor was worried if I gained abit one day or another. Eating, drinking water or any of a number of things can make your body flucuate.

Old 05-11-2004, 11:55 AM   #7
Inactive

VELOWcity HB User

Alright Texas chic..you have reached the guru..

You count calories and everything, good start already, most people can only count the hours they sit on their *** dreaming of the weight to come off.
Ill give you a little background on myself if you are interested, but it doesnt make a difference to be honest with you, some good advice can come from a bum, and some bad advice can come from a doctor, its all relative. But I studied arts and sciences in university, and more than that, ive tried everything with myself, and others that ive trained.

I agree with whomever stated it previously, dont be afraid of weight training, women wont bulk like you see in magazines like those beasts that graze on small live animals.

You have to have expended about 3500 calories more than you consumed in a week.

cont...

Old 05-11-2004, 12:04 PM   #8
Inactive

VELOWcity HB User

Here is what you want to do....

Eat Approx 1300 calories..Eat balanced and frequent. Many SMALL meals a day, 4-5.
Small means till you are no longer hungry, not till your full.

ex. lean meat, veggies, fruit, etc
ex. chicken(not fried), baked potatoes, etc..
ex. special K cereal for snacks, oatmeal
you get the drift..
STAY AWAY FROM unnecessary SUGARS, cola, sweets.

TRAINING: first 10 min of cardio is like first 10 min of tanning for those of you that tan, it doesnt do **** except warm you up..

Do cardio 3-5x a week, 40 min stretch, keep your heart rate up, heart rate monitors are greattttt. Of just pause and count your heart rate yourself.

Train with weight where you feel difficulty at about the 15th rep, if its too easy, your body has become acustom and you are wasting your time. Do workouts that encompass ALL YOUR MUSCLES, full body, that INCLUDES legs..LEGS IS A HUGEEEE burner of calories... Lunges, squats, butt kicks.. GOOD LUCK

Old 05-11-2004, 01:06 PM   #9
(female)

txcntrygrl HB User

Thank you all for your advice.

Velox..so do I still take in 1300 calories if I am burning approx 300 calories a day? or do I take in 1600 calories?

Old 05-11-2004, 01:31 PM   #10
Inactive

VELOWcity HB User

Wait?? Maybe I missed something here, I thought you were trying to lose body fat? Why would you eat more calories when you are trying to lose body fat? Say you consume 1300 calories a day, 7 days a week..knowing you have to burn 3500 calories a week plus what you consumed...Broken down per day..theoretically you would have to burn 1800 hundred calories a day to lose 1 lb of body fat. So to answer your question, yes, eat just 1300. Make sure its well balanced.
Other than cardio, what helps in burning calories you ask?
- Drink lots of water(if you dont pee a couple times a day, drink more)
- Eat frequently
- FULL BODY weight training
- Sleep

Old 05-11-2004, 02:05 PM   #11
(female)

txcntrygrl HB User

Velow (sorry I misspelled it earlier)

Thanks for clarifying it to me. I will stay at 1300 calories and yes I drink way over the 64oz of water that is required for us to drink. I do need to improve on my sleep.

Closed Thread