It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2004, 07:01 PM   #1
(male)

Sebum HB User
Concerned. High or Low Intensity?

For the past two weeks I've installed HIIT cardio in my schedule. I'm 16, male, and I'm aiming to lose about 10lbs while also working on my muscle bulk. I read that HIIT uses glycogen more over fat, and muscles depend on glycogen for energy and growth. So, should I do low intensity cardio? I love doing HIIT because I feel so great afterward and I can feel my metabolism pumped up, and the workout is only 20min. But if I want to work on my muscles too should I just do low intensity? It's boring...

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2004, 06:27 PM   #2

asdfgh HB User
Re: Concerned. High or Low Intensity?

what is HIIT?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-11-2004, 12:31 PM   #3
Inactive

VELOWcity HB User

Yeah, what is that HIIT crap? Its difficult to burn fat and build muscle at the same time. To lose fat you needs less calories, to build muscle you need more calories, how do you do both at the same time? If you do cardio at 60-80% of your max heart rate, you will tap into fat stores, but the effects will be slow. Concentrate on one at a time, whats more important, building muscle, or losing fat? I would do cardio in the morning, 2-3 times a week 30 min, probably walk up him, monitor your heart rate. Then left 3-4 days a week, and eat LOTS OF LEAN foods, high protein, you will fart a lot haha..

Old 05-11-2004, 01:13 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

You CAN lose fat and build muscle, but it will be slow going in both directions and you would have to be meticulous with what you eat and when. You might want to try cutting first and then bulking up for muscle. Focus your efforts to one goal. HIIT is good to do either way. It uses glycogen *during* the session, but it raises your metabolism for hours afterward which is where more of the fat burning will come from if you stay on a low cal diet. I would stagger *some* low intensity sessions in there since a higher percentage of calories burned during the cardio are from fat. I know it's boring, but the payoff will be worth it. Good luck, man.

*** HIIT == High Intensity Interval Training - shorter cardio sessions using intervals of sprinting or the equivelant.

Last edited by Naxis; 05-11-2004 at 01:16 PM.

Old 05-11-2004, 02:57 PM   #5
(male)

Sebum HB User

Thanks for the replies and input you two. I'll lose the fat first, then bulk it up. So if I should add low intensity should my routine go like this?

Monday: High
Tuesday: Low
Wednesday: High
Thursday: Low
Friday: High

Also, its very hard to workout on the weekends, but I always fear that my efforts will be useless if I don't exercise on Saturdays or Sundays. Is it ok to not exercise on the weekends if I maintain a good diet? Also, is it advisable to only do 20min of HIIT or could I go for 30min?

Old 05-11-2004, 04:53 PM   #6
(male)

Sebum HB User

Also, would doing exercises such as push-ups or crunches also increase metabolism? Or is it just lifting weights and cardio? I really wanna tone down my pec region because that's where I'm most self-concious. So would doing push-ups or bench press help with the fat pockets in my pecs? It's all genetic since my dad has them, but I really just want to get rid of them. I know you cant spot reduce, but would push-ups or benchpressing do anything to reduce the fat or contract the fat? Thanks!

Closed Thread