It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2004, 09:53 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Abbey32 HB User
Heart rate and advice for me

I am 32, 138ish and want to lose weight, mostly fat. I walk every day about 2 miles...not so fast. And it is broken up into 10 minutes 4 times. Back and forth taking son to school. Today was the 1st day I decided to run-walk on the treadmill and man, my heart rate was up to 160!! I got a bit dizzy. I was running-walking for about 20 minutes. 5 minutes walking warm up, 5 minutes running, 5 minutes walking, then 5 minutes running.

Questions...
Is that 160 heart rate normal? What should I have done about the dizziness? Is that something to worry about?

Is 20 minutes on the treadmill a day suffice to lose weight, along with the walking to school and eating better? I want to lose like 10-15 pounds or tone it up.

Thanks

Old 05-12-2004, 12:34 AM   #2
Inactive

VELOWcity HB User
Re: Heart rate and advice for me

Well heart rate is relative. Different methods for calculating target zone for burning fat etc. They say for your age group 160 is target correct. Here is the thing, if you are looking just to lose body fat you can exceed your target heart rate sometimes. Target heart rate burns greater percentage of body fat, but higher intensity(heart rate)..burns more over all calories. Diziness could be from a number of things, maybe you havent eaten healthy throughout the day. Normally diziness is a result of your body is not use to cardiovascular activity and your normal oxygen supply to the brain is reduced because it is being supplied to other parts of the body. Once your body has become conditioned(use to) the type of cardio, the lightheadedness should lessen until you increase the intensity once again. Usually the first 10 min of cardio isnt really burning any stored fat, its usually just warmup, and burning whats in your blood stream known as immediate energy supply; energy which is readily available, then it starts tapping into stored energy, fat. 40 minutes of cardio is necessary to see any results id say, considering you need to burn the amount of calories you have consumed, plus 500 per day for one week to lose 1lb of fat. Eat well and do resistance training. If you want a program, let me know.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-12-2004, 07:04 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Abbey32 HB User

40 minutes! Please tell me you're kidding. LOL. I am so out of shape right now that 40 minutes just seems soooo long and boring. I'm not sure I agree with it because I have seen people lose weight with only 20 minutes a day and a good diet. Or a good diet alone. I used to do the stepper for only 20 minutes a day and lost weight and inches. ?? And why do some say you can work out 30 minutes a day by breaking it up 10 minutes each throughout the day?

Sorry, I am just confused. Sure, a program would be nice. Oh and what should I do when experiencing dizziness? Stop right away or just slow down?

Old 05-12-2004, 08:53 AM   #4

mybody HB User

Hi!

40 minutes a day would be ideal, if you can work up to a nice intensity level. (I say this because a slow stroll for 40 minutes won't show you much improvement) Don't worry - no way you should hop on the treadmill for 40 minutes right now. It's a gradual process toward a goal of longer work outs.

But in the meantime, every little bit helps. Do what you can for as long as you can.

And YES!!! Work on the diet. That's probably more important than the exercise (you can run 100 miles but it won't help if you still eat a high fat, processed diet).

If you feel really, really dizzy, then stop. If it's just a little light headedness, slow down until you regain a normal feeling and slowly speed back up. If you're otherwise healthy, then as you become more used to exercise, this should stop.

Keep up the good work!
Ami

Old 05-12-2004, 05:28 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Howitt44 HB User

Abby32,
You sound just like me! Only I am older than you (47) and considerably overweight. I need to lose about 70 lbs. Anyway, I joined a gym back in November and would love to be able to jog/run (more like jog, I guess)
I got to where I could jog for 4 minues, then walk, then jog, etc. Well, my heart rate would get up to 168 when I would jog! It kind of scared me since my target heart rate is about 148. I guess I'm just trying to really stretch my lungs a bit. I have asthma, allergies, and I really want to be able to run for about 30 minutes! (Maybe I could work up to it). Anyway, I was told that if your heart rate get that high is OK FOR A SHORT TIME. But I'm assuming that when you slow to a walk, your heart rate slows also, right? So it is ok for a short spurt and then slow down for a walk and then speed up. I was told its the perfect training routine and also VERY GOOD for burning fat. Keep it up if you can! GOOD WORK!
Cindy

Old 05-12-2004, 08:42 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Abbey32 HB User

Thanks everyone! It is so funny....when people see someone who is not overweight(like me...I am just dumpy, LOL) They never guess that that person is soooo out of shape! Seriously, that is all I could jog too howitt!!!! 4-5 minutes then I had to stop and walk!! I see people jogging marathons or 30 plus minutes and I can't even do 5!!! And yes, when I did stop and walk....my heart rate went down to 130 and stayed there until I jogged again....then it shot back up to 160-170. It kinda scares me only because I do have MVP-Mitral Valve Prolapse....I was never put on any restrictions but...still.

Old 05-14-2004, 10:31 AM   #7

VELOWcity80 HB User

Well, I didnt know you had a condition or your physical shape...Take it slow, gradual progression each time pushing the limit...when i say limit i dont mean to near death, i mean a little past what you were previously able to do...EACH TIME you must push the limit, even if its a small push forward...If I were there i would be able to judge better, but Im not, and i would hope you wouldnt cheat yourself, must newcomers give up short, and need someone to show them their real limits, but anyhow.....

Do what you can, say walk 5-10 minutes to warm up, say 2.5 -3 mph, then do a jog for like 2-3 minutes, then RECOVER which is a walk at 2.5 mph again or so.....then jog again...try a little bit longer, then recover, and so on......each time you workout, try to increase the jog time slowly, and decrease recovery time, this will help you build stamina..

Old 05-14-2004, 08:53 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Abbey32 HB User

Thanks...that seems like a good plan. I have heard that interval training is the best.

Closed Thread