It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2004, 04:53 PM   #1
Inactive

serialnovelist HB User
help want to be 215 lbs super strong

here's my dilemma i'm 6'4 almost 6'5 and right now i weigh 193 lbs.
I want to be 215 lbs but strong as hell. i have no desire to LOOK like a body builder or Arnold but i want to be strong as hell. I want to be as strong as my frame will allow. Anyone know exactly how i can do that ??

right now i'm lifting five times a week with weekends off and my leg days are tues and thurs. mon-wed-fri all upper body.

i usually do five sets of three different exercises per body part. my reps are fairly heavy and usually 6 to 8 reps per set on the lighter stuff i'm doing reps of 10 to 12.

can someone tell me how you train exactly for strength ? if my body can take it i'd like to TRY and get as strong as that guy who can break handcuffs, but he doesn't look big at all and only weighs 168 lbs.

i'm thiking i need to lighten up the weight slightly and do more reps per set like 12-15 ???

thanks for your time

Old 05-12-2004, 06:53 PM   #2
Veteran

mjmaciver HB User
Re: help want to be 215 lbs super strong

If you want to get "strong as hell" and don't care how you look, workout 3 times a week with the following exercises:

Clean and press (or military press and do the clean as a separate exercise)
Bench Press
Deadlift
Squats
T-bar Rows or another "row" targeting the back (many people don't work their back when strength training, you'll be thankful)

do each exercise with a 6,4,2,1 rep scheme with heaviest weight possible (use a spotter). if you can do more reps on a certain set add more weight. Warm up with a light set of 20 for each exercise before going heavy on it.
this rep scheme puts strength first, size second. And don't forget to put back some protein and keep as healthy a diet as possible.

talk to ya later

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-12-2004, 07:00 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

When I'm training myself or anyone else for strength gains, I set up a split working each muscle group once a week. The way you're working, I'd guess you're not allowing enough time for recovery, which is where the real growth occurs. Usually a 4 day split is sufficient. There's a lot of different ways to do it, but here's a sample split (the one I'm using right now):

Sun: Chest/abs
Mon: Back/traps
Tue: cardio only
Wed: Legs/Calves
Thu: Arms (bi/triceps)/Shoulders
Fri: cardio only
Sat: cardio only and something active (hiking or something)

For strength, you need to work heavy. Start with a weight that you can manage no more than 4-6 reps with on the first set and try 3-5 sets per exercise, 2-3 exercises per muscle group. Work legs at higher rep (10-15 reps). This will increase strength with some mass gain, but you shouldn't get too bulky this way. When you can work up to about 8 reps per set, up the weight.

Also you need to be eating for gains. At least 500 calories more than you burn a day. Eat carbs shortly before your workout and a shake with liquid protein and simple carbs immediately afterward. It will give you energy for the workout and start repairs and muscle building right away.

That's the basics.

Old 05-13-2004, 12:05 AM   #4
Inactive

serialnovelist HB User

Naxis thanks so much for the detailed answer it's very appreciated. You said you don't think i'm giving myself enough time for recovery, but the way i've got it set up i actually only work ONE muscle per week like in your split. Mondays it's usually bebch presses, biceps, lower abs, (leg lifts) Tues it's leg lextensions and reverse leg curls, wednesday it's triceps, overhead presses, shoulders, arnold presses, thursday legs again, fri it's forearms, wrists, military presses, some others i don't know the name of but it works the traps. As far as the weight goes i'm lucky if i can even do 10 reps it's usually 6-8. Then sat and Sun are OFF for adequate rest. I found Ensure Plus (high protein) makes a great after workout supplement with the pharmacy grade amino acid tablets i take. I'll mix things up on different days so it doesn't get routine.

Old 05-13-2004, 07:41 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

Ohhhh... ok. Good. I assumed that "upper body" meant working the whole upper body each of those days. In that case... keep it up. Maybe change the split once in a while for variety. Good luck.

Old 05-13-2004, 09:48 AM   #6
Inactive

serialnovelist HB User

Yeah i think i might have to change the split somehow. I'm not usualy very sore the next day cause i've ben real good about Protein before and after working out and right before bed. i don't really notice the soreness and stiffness till the SECOND day after my workouts. Which is why i do the bench presses on the first day cause it works mor than once or two muscles. I'm trying to do as much compound exercises as i can with my limited equipment (some free weights, dumbells, and a bench, plus my extra bar)
Thanks for the help, so far since January i went from 160 lbs to 193 lbs on a 6'4 frame.
I'd like to think that's a good gain and i'm doing "something" right.

I'm thinking of taking a week off and doing just "body weight exercises" since i have a real problem with them. I cna lift the weights just not MYSELF lol

pull ups, push ups, sit ups, dips, etc.. they kill me while the weights are much easier. I was thinking if i just do body weight stuff for a week or two it'll really help the strength aspect.

Last edited by serialnovelist; 05-13-2004 at 11:18 AM.

Old 05-13-2004, 08:12 PM   #7
Senior Veteran

Evl316 HB User

So what's up with this super strong stuff? You want to be super strong for a certain sport or activity? Keep in mind there is a difference between being strong as far as lifting weights and as far as functional strength. Functional strength requires a lot of compound movements that involve stabalizer muscles. Also many sports require a high degree of balance or explosiveness or strengthening certain areas to prevent injuries from high impact movements just to list a few.

To sight an example many baseball players have been tearing their hamstrings in the past few years (more than in the past). Obviously baseball players have much larger legs then they did years ago from all the weight lifting and dare I say possible or probable steriod use. They use the added strength in the hamstring to be able to be a better hitter as far as hitting power goes but at the same time they can't run like they used too or they tear the hamstring which has happened a lot. I'd like to see Barry Bonds running full speed in the outfield to catch a fly ball. He doesn't cause he knows he'll rip that ham right off his bone and his career will be finished.

Not saying you're going about anything the wrong way just want to let you know that if you are wanting strength for a certain activity you have to train with that activity in mind.

Old 05-13-2004, 08:21 PM   #8
Inactive

serialnovelist HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evl316
Not saying you're going about anything the wrong way just want to let you know that if you are wanting strength for a certain activity you have to train with that activity in mind.
Okay well basically i've been sick a lot of he past couple years, had a stomach disorder and then kidney stones dropped from 200 lbs to 145 lbs lost a LOT of muscle and i was a twig couldn't lift anything. I went to work as a "stocker" for one of the grocery chains and couldn't handle the job. wasn't fast enough, wasn't strong enough.

After my stone surgery in december once i healed i started weight lifting and i had to start slow and SMALL and now i'm finally getting close to my original weight before i got sick except i'm more muscular than i've ever been, before it was all drinking fat LOL

I don't want to ever walk into a job like that or any other job for that matter that requires a lot of physical strength or lifting things like say being a over night stocker for Wal Mart or something, and NOT be able to do the job, and have the other people at work PICK ON ME, for it. PLUS right now i'm lifting so i hope women will notice me a bit more yanno ?? so yeah i'd like to look good without looking like a wrestler or Arnold but still be very strong.

Old 05-13-2004, 08:24 PM   #9
Senior Veteran

Evl316 HB User

Then you are probably going about it the right way. Keep in mind when lifting heavy they say you should lift with your legs, not your back so for something like that you should be doing stuff like squats, deadlifts and straight legged deadlifts.

Closed Thread