It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2004, 07:10 PM   #1
(female)

woodahs HB User
Need help in planning exercise routine

I need help in organizing my exercise routine (what I should do on certain days of the week). I don't want to overdo my body, but I want to get a sufficient workout that will help me lose weight, body fat, and inches (primarily) and also gain muscle (secondary).

I plan to workout 5-6 times a week and my exercises are:

Walking (30-45min = 1-2 miles)
Jogging (20min = 1 mile)
Tennis (roughly 45min - 1 hr)
Pilates
The Firm

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Old 05-13-2004, 01:25 AM   #2
Inactive

Laurie2 HB User
Re: Need help in planning exercise routine

You are doing alot of cardio from what I see. Might want to cut back on the walking or the jogging...whichever you prefer.

To help your tennis game, you might what to include some strength lifting to build the upper body. This will also force your body to burn more bodyfat and keep your metabolism up longer.

Try for a three day split lifting moderately heavy weights for 4 sets of 10 reps. This for a hour to 90 minutes. Stretch/warmup first. Rest for a minute between each set. Include the cardio (walking or jogging) after the weight training or on the offlifting days.

To most people, to "lose weight" means losing bodyfat. You do build lean muscle with lifting and this is denser than fat. A tangerine size portion of muscle weighs about the same as two grapefruit size portions of bodyfat. So you can weigh the same on the scale but wardrobe wise.....be smaller. This is what I found out after losing 62lbs of bodyfat after over a year of strength lifting. I am 5'6"/largeboned and 52, postmenopausal woman. I had been 245lbs and more for nearly 33 years of my marriage. Can now wear pre marriage clothes sizes but on the scale, I am 178lbs and not the 165lbs I was then. The difference is muscle gained from the lifting.

By the way, I was never skinny as a teen but had kept fit by riding a 10sp all over my city then.

Also what has your diet been like? Keeping to a proper diet and eating 5-6 smaller meals will also help lose the bodyfat and keep your metabolism up. Just do not get too low with the calories or else your metabolism will slow down into "starvation mode" as your body starts to conserve it's fat stores. The idea is to burn more calories than taking in.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-13-2004, 03:42 PM   #3
(female)

woodahs HB User

Thanks for your input

About my diet, I am having a little trouble with my diet - I think I may be getting too few calories. I'm also wondering if I am getting adequate amounts of all the important vitamins and nutrients (i.e. b12, potassium, calcium, magnesium). Do you think I should take a daily vitamin?

So far my eating plan is like this:

BREAKFAST:

Either Ham or Turkey or Chicken slices
Either Beans or Carrots
Either Peach or Apple or Strawberries or Orange or Pear
Cheddar Cheese & 2 eggs

------------
SNACK:

Fruit or Vegetable or Low-fat Yogurt

------------
LUNCH:

Tuna & either Chicken or Turkey slices
Lettuce & Tomato; Either Cucumber or Carrots or Beans or Peas
Cheddar Cheese

------------
SNACK:

------------
DINNER:

Either Chicken or Turkey breast
Either Beans or Peas or Green Beans or Carrots

------------
SNACK:

Thanks

Old 05-13-2004, 07:29 PM   #4
Inactive

Laurie2 HB User

Eating a whole grain cereal in the mornings will give you a "jumpstart" for energy. I generally put a scoop of protein whey powder in my oatmeal for the extra protein boost. Egg whites is another good source of protein without the chloesteral from the yolk. But one whole egg is fine.

Cottage cheese is also a good source of slow digesting protein in the form of casin to use at night or whenever, instead of yogurt. Generally it is higher in protein than plain yogurt.

I like chedder cheese too but have to keep it in moderation. Taking a daily vitamin is a good idea as well.

Some polyunsaturated fats are needed for overall good health. Why Flaxseed and olive oil are suggested to use. Also some nuts and peanut butter.

Last edited by Laurie2; 05-13-2004 at 07:30 PM.

Old 05-18-2004, 05:33 PM   #5
(female)

woodahs HB User

Thanks so much for your post and input!

Closed Thread