It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2004, 09:14 AM   #1
(male)

PezDSpensr HB User
What else can I do?

Hi there. I posted in the diet and nutrition area about my daily routine during the week when I'm away from my family (wife and two daughters):

http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=173562

I've been informed that I probably don't eat enough calories for what I'm doing. I really, really want to see my abs before I die...not that I'm dying or anything. I can grab about an inch or two of fat around my mid-section, and it takes everything in me to go to the gym instead of down the street to buy a Little Caesar's $5.00 medium pepperoni pizza. But so far I've gotten to the gym, and afterwards I feel a tonne better.

So my dilemma is "What else can I do?" I have a desk job during the week, so this offers very little in the way of activity. I go for my half-hour speed (well, I think I'm fast and I do end up sweating...but I think I sweat a lot anyway) walk at lunch after I eat.

I want to know if seeing my abs this summer is a realistic goal with what I'm doing. Is it possible? I've already noticed that I can go down a notch on my belt with out turning blue, so I do notice a bit of improvement after two weeks of the diet I mentioned above. I just don't want to do any damage.

My routine is pretty routine. I try to hit each muscle group two times a week, and last night I went and did 45 minutes of cardio with a combination of stationary bike, stair climber and rowing machine and then I did an all around mid-section work out (crunches, leg lifts, back extentions). Should I do anything else?

Thanks in advance,

Pez

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-13-2004, 11:36 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User
Re: What else can I do?

Your diet is ok, but could be a LOT better. But first of all, what are your stats (m/f, height, weight)? Calories you have now might be too low. I also see a lot of carbs, and high GI carbs that could be substituted with a better food choice.

One thing that might help you with cravings is to institute a cheat day. Believe it or not, it will actually help you with fat loss in the long run by keeping thyroid active and metabolism up as well as being a reward for sticking to your diet. Eat low cal and very clean for 6 days and then one day a week allow for some of your junk food weak spots. Either go for one junk meal or maybe small portions of junk through the day. Even if you opt to stay away from junk and keep the "cheat" day clean, you should eat higher carb, higher calorie one day a week.

Old 05-13-2004, 12:15 PM   #3
(male)

PezDSpensr HB User

Sorry, I thought everyone would read my stats in the other post. I am a 30 year old male, 6'2" and 215 lbs. So yeah, I need to increase my cal intake, right? And what are GI carbs? Sorry, I haven't really educated myself on nutrition, but I know (or at least I think I know) what foods are generally good or bad (trying to stay away from fastfood pizza...I love pizza. But I can make a good olive oil crust from scratch, y'know).

I just wanna see my abs and get rid of the love handles...and maybe along the way tighten up the bod. I have no aspirations of become and Arnold or a Ferigno. Just don't wanna be self consious when I take my kids swimming. So, how about it? Will I see my abs soon?

Old 05-13-2004, 01:27 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

Sorry about that. I missed stats in the last one. If I had to guess, I'd say you're getting way too few calories. You might lose *weight* the way you're going, but a lot of it will be muscle and not fat, which will in turn kill your metabolism causing a cycle that's going to ruin your efforts. I know it's a pain, but what you really need to do is to count calories for a week or so. Plan for at least 2100-2300 calories a day. Divide the calories fairly evenly into each of your small meals. You also need to be getting about 1g protein per US pound of body weight, also fairly evenly divided into each meal if you can. Google for USDA NUTRITION if you want to know how many calories, protein, fat or carbs are in any particular foods. has a great database for searching.

About GI (Glycemic Index), it is just a rating denoting the effect that a food has on insulin (how fast or slow it is burned by the body). Low GI is slow burning, sustained energy and less likely to be stored as fat. High GI is like sugar, fast burned, high likelihood of being fat. Obviously lower GI is best most of the time.

Quote:
Breakfast: Two hardboiled eggs (throw the yolk away) and two pieces of brown or multigrain toast (lightly buttered with low fat margarine of the Becel variety - non-hydrogenated)
This is ok, but I'd add more protein. 2 egg whites is only ~6g of protein. If you eat at work, bring more eggs, or if you eat at home, maybe a small egg white omelette. If you're going to have bread, multigrain is a good choice and morning is the best time to have it. Oatmeal would be better. Maybe alternate.

Quote:
Mid-morning snack: Either an apple, banana, or an orange.... Maybe two fruits.
Avoid bananas. They do have potassium, but they are very high GI. An apple is ok (much lower GI), but something with more protein and fiber would be better. Maybe some almonds (good EFAs, fiber, and protein) or cottage cheese.

Quote:
Lunch: Can of tuna and a green salad with low fat dressing.
Excellent. :) Make this spinach if you can. Very nutritious.

Quote:
35 minute quick walk

Mid-afternoon snack: More fruit, carrot sticks, rice crackers or, today, baked Old Dutch corn chips with bean and corn salsa (chips are just corn, salt and trace of lime…that’s it)
All carbs and high GI. Again, go for protein and fiber. You can still have carbs, I'm not suggestiong you go Atkins here, but you will have to minimize them if you want to drop a lot of belly fat and see those abs.

Quote:
Another half-hour walk and jog or a bike ride

Late snack: a hard-boiled egg or peanut butter sandwich
This is a good place for some carbs, so that you have energy in the gym. Have some oatmeal and an apple, or maybe a whole grain cereal. I usually just have a large apple 30 minutes before going in, but I'm sure I need fewer calories than you would. *Natural* peanut butter on whole grain toast is also ok, but watch how much peanut butter you use (limit to 1-2 Tbsp., lots of fat, not the best to have before a workout).

Quote:
Off to the gym for 1 to 2 hours

Protein meal replacement (low carb)
Right here is where you want HIGH GI carbs if you are doing resistance training. When you lift, you are using up the glycogen (blood sugar) that is stored in the muscles. After you're finished, the muscles are starving for replenishment and fast burning carbs go right into the muscle here. The best post-workout nutrition is a shake taken within 30 minutes of your last rep made up of carbs and protein (sugar and whey). The rule of thumb is to keep the carb:protein ratio at about 60:40. I know this contradicts the "no carbs before bed" theory, and if you had been sitting around on your rump all night, this would still hold true, but you have to maintain your muscle if you want to keep metabolism up and burn fat. And that will help tremendously.

Hope that's helpful. Up calories and swap a little content and you'll be right on track.

Last edited by Naxis; 05-13-2004 at 01:29 PM.

Old 05-13-2004, 01:58 PM   #5
(male)

PezDSpensr HB User

Geeze, thanks a lot Naxis. I really appreciate that. So I've probably been starving myself for the last few weeks, eh? I will definitely be taking your advice and trying it out. Thanks for the site too.

Wish me luck.

Pez

Closed Thread