It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2004, 01:32 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

BostonGirl44 HB User
Exercise videos

Does anyone work out with videos alone and feel like they get a great workout? I alternate between videos and walking. I have no motivation to do anything else and I don't know how to motivate myself to start running. I'm not trying to lose weight, I'm just trying to maintain my body the way it is (5'3", 120 lbs).

Old 05-14-2004, 09:58 AM   #2

VELOWcity80 HB User
Re: Exercise videos

Its all mental, its all how bad you want it..Just starting doing it, you will like the way you feel, and hopefully you will continue..its like winning the lottery, you arent going to win if you dont play...so you arent going to see results if you dont do anything...

You dont seem like you need to lose a lot of weight, and probably need muscle tone as well.

Go to the store, and buy some 3, 5 and 8 lbs rubber coated dumbbells, and a floor mat.

You need to start doing some resistance training, full body..dont be discouraged, from this sentence, it isnt hard to learn, and you arent going to be huge. All the exercises you can do at home within 30 minutes a day, 3 days a week.

And you won't lose anything unless you eat right, and SWEAT, that means high intensity..Using resistance training to make your muscles more dense will aid in burning calories. Ill make you a plan, but you better stick to it, and not waste my time.. Write a reply on your body type, problem area, whether you build muscles in your legs, etc easily..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2004, 09:15 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

BostonGirl44 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by VELOWcity80
Its all mental, its all how bad you want it..Just starting doing it, you will like the way you feel, and hopefully you will continue..its like winning the lottery, you arent going to win if you dont play...so you arent going to see results if you dont do anything...

You dont seem like you need to lose a lot of weight, and probably need muscle tone as well.

Go to the store, and buy some 3, 5 and 8 lbs rubber coated dumbbells, and a floor mat.

You need to start doing some resistance training, full body..dont be discouraged, from this sentence, it isnt hard to learn, and you arent going to be huge. All the exercises you can do at home within 30 minutes a day, 3 days a week.

And you won't lose anything unless you eat right, and SWEAT, that means high intensity..Using resistance training to make your muscles more dense will aid in burning calories. Ill make you a plan, but you better stick to it, and not waste my time.. Write a reply on your body type, problem area, whether you build muscles in your legs, etc easily..
Hey Velowcity,
Thanks for the reply. I really do want to become more fit-looking. Everyone always says, "Oh, you're so skinny" but I want to tighten up my body, especially my butt, thighs, and abs. I'm not worried about my arms because they get toned very easily when I lift weights. It's mainly my lower body. I started taking up running so I'm not running far as of yet. What kind of exercises do you suggest? I know I also have to start eating right. I don't snack much so I don't gain weight easily. I just want to eat healthier foods. Any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Old 05-15-2004, 12:35 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

yes i workout to videos every single day and i lost alot of weight from them. for example, i started with kathy smith's weight loss workout which works up a great sweat!! it includes strength training, aerobics, and squats throughout the video which tones, and really boosts the metabolism. then i bought a step, which i love because it is equivalent to burning as many calories running 7.7 mph. in addition, the stress on our joints are minimal compared to running, which is really tough on the joints. since you said you want to tone and shape your arms, legs and but, the firm has some awesome videos for that. kathy smith is a good start, she has modifiers (people doing low impact) if your just starting out. she is very knowledgable and i love her videos. now i do more advanced videos like cathe fredrich. the intensity is the same as kathy's videos but the choreography is more intricate. i love working out at home, i would never go to the gym. i have my weights, and about 50 videos so i don't get used to the same routine, and i keep buying more. plus i live in a climate where it's either real cold or real hot. if you have any other questions about videos feel free to ask. there great!

Old 05-15-2004, 03:04 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

BostonGirl44 HB User

Jessicca,
The thought of being in the gym to work out is so unappealing to me too. I have about 15 different videos now and I really like it so much better. I'll definitely check out some Kathy Smith videos. I love to dance so I bought a bunch of videos that teach dancing to hip hop and other kinds. It's pretty fun and it's nice to do it in the privacy of my own home because I'm sure I look ridiculous as I'm learning lol. The thing about running is that I really don't want to stress my joints and possibly cause problems in the future. I thought maybe I could run once or twice a week to supplement my videos. We'll see what happens and how I feel. Keep me updated on different workout videos you've tried and that you like!

Old 05-15-2004, 07:00 PM   #6

gfd HB User

I have 19 workout videos and never use them I did when first brought them for me tabeo is ok I like doing a abs workout video Or somthing simple like those walk video's but kind of slow for me at 23 but your not killing yourself when your doing the workout like some video's your moving fast and feel like I"m going to have a heart attack. For me I like bike riding we have trail by our house That someting I loved to do . When you find exercise you loved to do than easy to do it all the time. Maybe working out to video's not somthing you like doing all the time when you find exercise you loved them it will be easy to do it all the time.

Old 05-16-2004, 07:19 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonGirl44
Jessicca,
The thought of being in the gym to work out is so unappealing to me too. I have about 15 different videos now and I really like it so much better. I'll definitely check out some Kathy Smith videos. I love to dance so I bought a bunch of videos that teach dancing to hip hop and other kinds. It's pretty fun and it's nice to do it in the privacy of my own home because I'm sure I look ridiculous as I'm learning lol. The thing about running is that I really don't want to stress my joints and possibly cause problems in the future. I thought maybe I could run once or twice a week to supplement my videos. We'll see what happens and how I feel. Keep me updated on different workout videos you've tried and that you like!
If you like to run, like i said, stepping is a great supplement to running. collage video has a great selection of workout videos and they are dancy. i also have christy tailor's solid gold cardio and rob glick's amazing step styles. those videos are fun, dancy, and really make you sweat! i also love dancy videos, and that site has tons of them. i will be purchasing more soon so i'll let you know. if you have any further questions, ask!

Old 05-17-2004, 08:16 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

BostonGirl44 HB User

I'm a big fan of the collage video website. As a matter of fact, I just got 5 videos delivered from them about a week ago. I haven't had a chance to try them out except for one since it's been so nice lately that I've been walking outside. Definitely keep me updated on the videos you buy and which ones you like.

Old 05-26-2004, 07:05 AM   #9

bridgette HB User

I'm going to the gym - reason: they have two pilates classes and two kickboxing classes a week at the right time for me, however, I would like to tone and sculpt my body while in the process of losing weight. I didn't feel the burn in the pilates class - maybe not doing it right. I really enjoy kickboxing. Can anyone suggest a couple of tapes/dvds that help with toning? I appreciate any and all help. Thanks - - Bridgette

Also, this is my workout and diet (any suggestions to modify for a better workout)
Workout:
M-F Walking 1.5-2.5 miles (1.5 on days when I take a class)
T/TH Pilates and Kickboxing
15 minutes on Abs every other day
(Plan on walking at least 2 miles on Saturday and Sunday - if possible)
Diet: NEED HELP WITH THIS! Low-Carb - only because a year ago I lost 25 pounds and have maintained that since.
I started eating breakfast - however gained 10 pounds and stopped - scared.
Lunch: A small garden salad w/wo chicken and a cheeseburger w/o bread.
Dinner: Chicken Breast, green beans, small salad.

Thanks again and good luck to everyone...

Old 05-26-2004, 07:18 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

BostonGirl44 HB User

Bridgette,
I was thinking about kickboxing classes myself, but never really looked too much into it. I'm a poor working girl trying to pay rent, a car loan, and a student loan, and can't afford a gym lol. I actually applied to work part time nights at a gym because they give free memberships for employees. Anyway, I digress. I don't know what suggestions I can give you regarding diet help. I would recommend breakfast though. Back in college, I wouldn't eat breakfast and would find myself eating anything I could get my hands on throughout the day, especially if it came from a vending machine or one of the delis around my college. The only reason I think I never gained any weight is because I commuted to college and walking from the train all the way uphill to school (about a 15 minute walk each way) probably kept me in shape. Once I started working after graduation, I was afraid I'd start gaining weight because I wasn't running all over the place like I used to and of course I loved to eat. My weight has fluctuated between 110-120 for the past 10 years, which is fine with me. I just didn't want to be more than that. Anyway, my point is, once I started eating breakfast, I didn't have the urge to grab everything else throughout the day. Some days are stressful and I grab something quick, but it's never as bad as it used to be.

Old 06-01-2004, 08:37 AM   #11

arachne HB User
Wink Re: Exercise videos

Hi there!

I recently quit the gym and gave up running. I did this because I am so totally enjoying my work out regimen, which consists of rotating about 12 different video tapes. First and foremost I love The Firm. I've been doing The Firm Body Sculpting System 2 (BSS2) for 6 months and I'm seeing amazing results. I started to see results after only 10 work outs!! I also do Winsor Pilates, BSS1, and a Kickboxing video by Kathy Smith. I love the convenience of working out at home. My video rotation challenges me and keeps me really interested in my work outs. It's so important not to get bored with or lose interest in your exercise regimen! Best of all I've gotten unbelievable results from my own customized work outs. I will never waste my money on a gym membership again.

Old 06-02-2004, 07:28 PM   #12

jodimarie75 HB User

arachne,

Hi,

I'm on my 2nd week w/ The Firm 2 System. I love it!! It's so much fun!! What other videos of theirs do you like? I bought Lower Body Sculpt 1 and Cardio Sculpt Blaster new off of E-bay...haven't tried them yet. I don't really like their 'older' ones..the 80's style ones. But I know they came out w/ a whole bunch of add-on ones for the Firm 1 and 2. Which ones would you recomend? I love Max. Cardio Burn, and Complete Aerobics and Weight Training. The Total Sculpt is kind of easy.

Old 06-09-2004, 08:03 PM   #13

jodimarie75 HB User

bump................

Old 06-10-2004, 06:53 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

BostonGirl44 HB User

Jodi,
My sister uses The Firm videos and she loves it. I've been meaning to borrow them and give it a try. I've used the weighted bar (I don't know what they call it) and I really like it.

Old 06-11-2004, 08:08 PM   #15

Lisa1976 HB User

I have found the best exercise for my legs and butt has been inline skating and working out to Billy blanks's Tae bo. These have both become an everyday addiction to the point where if I don't do them...I get crabby...lol

Closed Thread