It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2004, 02:54 PM   #1
Inactive

serialnovelist HB User
how do you burn fat without losing muscle?

i've already got an extrmely fast metabolism and still need to ADD muscle but i don't want to start doing Cardio and burn muscle or lose muscle, but DAM this fat around my middle looks awful, from the bottom of my rib cage to my waistline it's FAT central and the rest of me is THIN.

i got one of those neoprene wrap things for doing sit ups but it doesn't seem to be helping much.

any suggestions ? don't want to lose my gains in muscle but i want to lose the fat.

Old 05-14-2004, 03:12 PM   #2

Shane S HB User
Re: how do you burn fat without losing muscle?

Make sure you've got plenty of protein in your diet and that your pre- and post-workout nutrition is in order, as well as bed time nutrition. Don't overdo the cardio. Strength train intensely. Supplement properly (i.e. creatine, ZMA, protein powder).

It's a very fine line. You really have to know your body and how it reacts to various situations. It probably will take some trial and error.

Situps won't help you lose fat, though they are a good exercise.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-14-2004, 03:19 PM   #3
Inactive

serialnovelist HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane S
Situps won't help you lose fat, though they are a good exercise.
the guy that got me started weight training in the first place, said the neoprene thing would keep the heat in, from the sit ups and burn the fat away slowly.

to wear it doing sit up and cardio. that the heat from the muscle would literally kind of melt the fat away.

i know sounds kind of silly to me too...

i don't want to lose weight or lose muscle, just lose the fat from around my gut, without losing all my gains so far.

Old 05-15-2004, 09:06 AM   #4

VELOWcity80 HB User

Unfortunately, it is hard, extremely to lose body fat and gain muscle at the same time..You have to do one of the other, EXCESS of caloric intake = gains, deficit = loss of body fat.. You obviously cant do both at the same time..

Eat A LOT OF PROTEIN, small amounts of fat, some carbs etc. There are some good nutrition sites out there..but thats the gist of it.

So eat healthy, the right combination is important..

Cardio, moderate(60-80% max hr) usually walking on an incline, for 2-3 a week, in the AM for about 30-40 min.. This will help insure you do not gain too much more body fat than you already have while trying to build muscle and may help reduce some..
Your goal here is to make large lean mass gain, with minimal fat gains..This will help make your body a calorie burning machine...then once you have your lean muscle gains, start a new diet, and cardio program for fat loss, and a resistance program to maintain lean mass, might want to use some supplements.

Old 05-15-2004, 03:59 PM   #5
Veteran

mjmaciver HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by serialnovelist
i've already got an extrmely fast metabolism and still need to ADD muscle but i don't want to start doing Cardio and burn muscle or lose muscle
A brief cardio workout (20-30 mins) on your off days will actually help to build muscle mass quicker and maintain it by pumping nutrient rich blood deep into the muscles.

talk to ya later

Old 05-15-2004, 04:07 PM   #6
Inactive

serialnovelist HB User

Thank you for the info i totally did NOT know that, very informative. I'll have to give it a try. I've got a cardioglide LOL maybe i can turn it way down and get a 20-30 minute cardio workout, out of it, since it seems to hit your legs, upper body and abs and it's not hard on your joints or bones. Hmmmmm.

Last edited by serialnovelist; 05-15-2004 at 04:08 PM.

Old 05-16-2004, 03:50 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

DiselPower4 HB User

If you do more than 20 mins of cardio you start to break down muscle, not alot but u still burn a lil bit of muscle.

Closed Thread