It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2004, 06:42 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

froe HB User
Anybody heard of Bill Phillips' "Body For Life" Program?

My uncle gave me the weight training book "Body For Life" by Bill Phillips. He is supposedly a very successful person. Has anybody heard of him or used his program? What do you think of it?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-14-2004, 09:03 PM   #2

Shane S HB User
Re: Anybody heard of Bill Phillips' "Body For Life" Program?

Bill Phillips used to own EAS, which at one point was at the forefront of the supplement world (but now is just overpriced/overhyped). He was more of a salesperson than anything. BFL is a good program for beginners, women, and those looking to lose weight. It's not particularly good as a muscle building or weight gain program, although it can be useful when you need to change up your routine for a bit to shock the system.

I do think that it cuts out way too many foods, though what it does provide is a solid foundation, and the nutrition principles are sound in terms of teaching portion control and regular eating. There is overemphasis on supplements, and if someone really is going to go that route, they should make better choices. Prolab Matrix instead of Myoplex, ON 100% Whey instead of MyoPro, anybody else's fat burners (EAS has always been the dog of the fat burning market because of Phillips' reluctance to get with the times), plain creatine monohydrate instead of any of the various creatine blends (Betagen, Phosphagen, Riboforce), plain glutamine instead of Cytovol, Sheesh Bars instead of Myoplex bars. Skip the HMB and the CLA altogether (too expensive).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-14-2004, 09:41 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

froe HB User

yeah... the program is more for people trying to lose weight

I'm an ectomorph and I was just looking over the book... I'm not too sure whether I should follow it.

Old 05-15-2004, 07:37 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

It's an excellent starting point for any regimen. You can always alter it to fit your needs, but the basic plan (timed meals, am workouts, macronutrient ratios etc) is a good one. I made both of my parents start the program. Success so far.

Old 05-16-2004, 03:33 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

froe HB User

hey naxis

i'm glad to hear the your parents have had success with the program. When I looked at most at the before and after pictures, about 98% of the stories are based on people trying to LOSE weight. I'm not too sure if the program is suited for an underweight person like me, but i'll see.

Old 05-16-2004, 10:22 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

The principles will be the same, you just need to up the calories until you start gaining weight and de-emphasize the cardio aspect.

Closed Thread