It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2004, 07:23 PM   #1

Dorkfish22 HB User
Achilles Tendonitis, how much can I get back to doing and how soon?

Hi. I'm not sure if this is the right board for this, but it was an exercise related injury so I'll ask about it here. I am a 23 year old female and my main focus is weight training but I also do about 45 minutes of running/jogging six days a week and lifting 3 to 4 days. This weekend I developed Achilles Tendonitis and was wondering if anyone here had had experience with this sort of injury.

I am going to be taking time off from cardio until it heals but I would like to keep on some sort of lifting schedule. Would it be safe for me to continue doing any leg work or should I take off entirely from that as well? I guess I could spend my recovery time just focusing on arms and abs but I would really like to stay on track for the most part.

Also would wrapping that particular ankle before running possibly help prevent re-injury? Since I am not training to be a runner or a cyclist I am pretty much open to doing either as a way of getting my cardio time in. Is one a better choice than the other as far as stress on this tendon?

I apologize for the length of this but the injury occured just one day after my personal trainer left on a two-week vacation and I'm kind of at a loss at what to do next. Thanks in advance to anyone who has any insights/suggestions.

Old 05-18-2004, 12:52 PM   #2

Used2BScooterTX HB User
Re: Achilles Tendonitis, how much can I get back to doing and how soon?

I've never had Achilles tendonitis, but I have sprained my Achilles, and know from first-hand experience that this is a slow-healing body part. It basically took me 8 weeks of no running or jogging to recover fully.

I would think that this injury will heal itself in a few weeks, as long as you don't do anything to aggrevate it. Seems like cardio on a recumbent bike would be fine. Also, I don't see why you can't continue your weight training, although you might want to avoid working your calves until your Achilles is feeling better.

Basically, keep doing any exercise that doesn't aggrevate the injury, would be my advice.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2004, 01:15 PM   #3

MarineDuck HB User

Hi. I actually had tendonitis a while back. The best thing that helped me was iceing and stretching it constantly. It hurt no matter what I did, but I ended up getting an ankle brace to help and wore that for a few weeks to a about 3 months. I did thera bands to help (rubber bands that provide resistance) and regular ankle excersises to help. All in all it too me about a month of "rehabing" it and resting it to get back to where I was. Now after about a year it gives me no problems as long as I stretch it well before hand. Taking time off helps any injury like this, it's over used and needs to be rested. You can still do leg work, but I wouldn't do anything to hurt it more. After a few weeks of icing after working out and resting it and ankle strengthening excersises you should be back to where you were, or at least able to run without too much pain. But an ankle brace might help or some places sell achilles wraps (as long as you know where to look). If you want to try the achilles wrap go to ten-ogymnastics.com and they sell them there (I believe) for about $20 I think. Good luck!!

Old 05-20-2004, 02:58 PM   #4

Dorkfish22 HB User

Thanks for the help. I have continued training minus the calf raises and the running and haven't had any problem. The ankle is feeling much stronger now but I'm still going to wait on my trainer to return before I start working it again. Thanks again!

Closed Thread