It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2004, 03:00 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

paxy HB User
too much?

do u think i am exercising too often? i go to e gym abt 4 to 5 times a wk. but i seem to get sick very often. 1st i had flu. then 2 wks later, gastric flu. then a wk later, a bloated tummy and now another wk later, a cold. i seem to be getting weaker.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2004, 04:46 AM   #2
Inactive

Laurie2 HB User
Re: too much?

No, but I think you better look at your diet for better health. But then Flu is gotten from being around others with it or in contact with objects used by others who may have it. Good general hygiene will help stop with alot of this.

Feeling weaker with having so much flu so often will lower your immune system. Bloated stomach may have come from any number of things. Getting a cold just comes from a lowered immune system AND for the same reasons as getting the flu.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2004, 12:23 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

paxy HB User

is it ok to exercise with flu/cold? what is the difference b/w flu and cold? how come my immune system is so lousy? is it because i nv allow myself to fully recover b4 i exercise again? or is it i work too hard?

Old 05-19-2004, 08:05 AM   #4
(female)

Xia HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxy
is it ok to exercise with flu/cold? what is the difference b/w flu and cold? how come my immune system is so lousy? is it because i nv allow myself to fully recover b4 i exercise again? or is it i work too hard?
It would be hard to guesstimate all this without knowing what exactly it is that you do while you're in the gym. If you're lifting with maximal effort (i.e. strength specific training) frequently, most of the calories you consume will be facilitating tissue repair and normal bodily functions, as opposed to fighting the virus (which, depending on your activity level, could require some amount of extra calorie intake). This could explain continual illness. However, if you just go in for cardio or light lifting, this is not likely the case.

So in essence, what are you doing in the gym? Are you sufficiently hydrated? Are you eating well and eating adequate calories? What are you eating? Are you sleeping adequately? Do you take any supplements? That would help us be able to make a better guess.

Old 05-19-2004, 02:47 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Rick7799 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxy
The rule of thumb is if you just have a head cold it's o:k to exercise, but if you have a fever it's best to rest.

Closed Thread