It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2004, 01:18 PM   #1

MarineDuck HB User
Too much water?

My roommate and I made a deal that over the summer we would both drink a gallon of water a day. We are both very active and want to lose or maintain our current weight. Now my question is, are we drinking too much water? I know 8 glasses is good for you and all that, but are we drinking too much water by drinking a gallon EVERY day? Thanks!

Old 05-18-2004, 01:47 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Rick7799 HB User
Re: Too much water?

If you are very active and especially if you are sweating a gallon a day is not to much. There is a serious condition if you drink to much water but it's rare. I don't think you have to worry about it with only drinking a gallon a day. You may find yourself urinating more.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2004, 02:08 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

Agreed. A gallon isn't too much at all. Especially if you are active. It's good for healthy kidney function, body function and general hydration. Think about how much soda and coffee people drink. Substitute all that with water (something your body can actually use) and you're in much better shape. Adding a little lemon once in a while is nice for variety also.

Old 05-18-2004, 02:24 PM   #4

redlinestar HB User

if you have a water purifier, go for it! if not, you and your buddy may want to split the cost for a good one. make sure it's a -purifier- and not just a filter. the news about the army dumping "treated" VX nerve agent byproducts into the delaware river was a huge wake up for me. the amount of other chemicals like sodium fluoride, pesticides, and countless pathogens can also be harmful to your health.

that aside, i drink close to a gallon of water every day with no adverse side-effects. i pee a lot, that's about it

Old 05-19-2004, 07:52 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Endorphin Junky HB User

Rule of thumb: 2 litres per day minimum plus an extra 1/2 litre per 1/2 hour of exercise.

1 gallon per day is fine. Just make sure you replace electolytes (i.e salt). It's not dangerous if you don't (in the short term) but you can start to feel a little off if they drop to low levels, even a little sick. If you're execising too, this is doubly important, especially if you're a salty sweater. You can tell if you sweat out alot of salt by letting your training kit dry after you've sweated in it. It'll leave white marks. Wear something black if you wanna check as it'll show up better.

Closed Thread