It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2004, 08:39 PM   #1

msloquacious HB User
Definition of a Cheat Day?

Hi all!

I'm interested in knowing, for those of you who do some modified Body-for-Life thing where you take cheat days, what those days consist of? Are they more:
- junk food, eat-what-you-want days, OR
- healthy food, but jack-up-the-calories days?

Also, would it be far less beneficial to do a minor cheat each day, than to do one full day of cheating each week?

I'd love to hear your opinion on these! Thanks!

Old 05-19-2004, 09:15 AM   #2
(female)

AnitaPita HB User
Re: Definition of a Cheat Day?

When I cheat, I find myself eating more carbs. Not necessarily junk food like chips or sweets. I love asian food so cheating for me consists of rice/vermicelli noodles. I find that after following a strict diet for a while my body cannot tolerate fast food or greasy food...I feel sick for hours afterward.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2004, 10:04 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

Here's a little bit of science behind the cheat day: when you keep a caloric deficit for long periods of time, your metabolism will eventually start to slow down, the thyroid goes a bit dormant. The cheat day is like a fire up so that the metabolism boosts back up. The rest of the time, the caloric deficit is needed in order to burn the fat. If you had a cheat every day, you're probably going over the caloric deficit needed for fat loss and therefore not doing any good . Also, depending on what you would consider a cheat food, you may be able to fit in a little reward snack so long as you stay in the right calorie range but keep refined carbs out or that insulin spike will just be a hinderance.

I'm with Anita on the "healthy cheat day". Too much sugar or fat makes me feel like crap for days afterward, so unless it's a special occasion, I keep it clean and just eat more normally - meaning non scheduled/measured meals.

Last edited by Naxis; 05-19-2004 at 10:04 AM.

Old 05-19-2004, 04:17 PM   #4
Veteran

mjmaciver HB User

As far as I can recall, when my dad was on the Body for Life program a cheat day meant to eat healthy but give in to any cravings you have.
and yes as Naxis said it will help to maintain your metabolism. Another interesting logic behind it is to feel gross at the end of the day. It gives you motivation to get back in the gym and stick with the program solidly for another 6 days.

talk to ya later

Old 05-19-2004, 09:13 PM   #5

msloquacious HB User

Thanks, everyone! More questions:

a)How many *more* calories does one need to ingest to spike the metabolism? Assume a regular diet of about 1900 calories (male, active).

b)If the "reward" snack during the day results in a caloric intake that's still a deficit, *but* the "reward" was a refined carb (a Hershey's kiss, for example), would that still be catastrophic for fat burn?

c)Is it better to do 4 days on, 2 days off the clean diet, or 6 days on and 1 day off?

Thank you thank you!

Old 05-20-2004, 06:33 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

a) If you're looking for a minimum, I'd say about 25% more than your usual intake, so 400-500.

b) A chocolate won't ruin all your efforts or halt fat burning, but it certainly won't help. If you absolutely have to have it, aim for right before your workout. It will increase the chances of putting the carbs to use with less chance of going to storage. But keep in mind "nothing tastes as good as being lean feels".

c) 6 on, 1 off. 4 on and 2 off is too little time on and too much time off.

Old 05-20-2004, 06:11 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hitmen HB User

my definition of a cheat day is eating something I normally wouldn't eat. I might go for some ice cream or some chinese food or something. other than that, im pretty strict with my diet. a cheat day does not mean you should indulge in endless amounts of fast foods and candy. be reasonable with your cheat days and you'll be fine.

p.s. speaking of cheat days, what do you guys do about eating birthday cake? I hate eating that cake but I also hate to be disrespectful and not have any cake either lol.

Old 05-20-2004, 08:05 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

If it doesn't land on a cheat day (or if it isn't planned on a cheat day), I politely decline. Almost everyone I know is aware that I'm nearly ludicrously strict with what I eat - "health nut" comes up a lot - so no one is too surprised.

Old 05-20-2004, 08:57 PM   #9

msloquacious HB User

Should a "cheat day" be *anything* in *any* quantity, though? My BF has had previous cheat days where he pretty much GORGED until he could fit nothing else into his body, and the food choices he made were pretty excessive sometimes (2 L ice cream, whole pizzas, dozens of wings, etc.). I always fear that he has undone everything he's tried to achieve during the 6 days of the week...but his argument is that anything *that* excessive gets rejected by the body and eliminated anyway, so there's no real concern.

What do you all think?

(As for the B-day cake, just sing the song and then go to the bathroom for a while, until all of the cake is gone. Another good excuse is an aversion to dairy (if it's ice cream or whipped cream) or to gluten (flour!).)

Old 05-21-2004, 08:50 AM   #10
(female)

AnitaPita HB User

Since this subject was brought up I just wanted to comment....
I live in a small town in the midwest....there are NO healthy places to eat here, mostly everything is centered around BBQ of some sort or fried food...And the majority of people are not that concerned with what they eat. I think most people get a notion they are eating healthy if they just throw in a salad to whatever their meal is. I have no problem going out to eat with friends or coworkers, but alot of times I end up not eating at all. People are weirded out by it, and then I feel rude. Or often if I go out with friends they seem to get annoyed....they will say something like "Just eat some cheeseballs/mozz sticks/french fries It WONT kill you!!!!"
I think they have the misconception that I am paranoid of being overweight. That is not it at all....I just know it's bad and I feel sick after eating stuff like that now....

I am all for cheat days, believe me LOL...but my cheating is not really considered cheating to most people here...do you guys have this problem also? And how do you react?

Old 05-21-2004, 10:14 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

Some people simply don't understand, no matter how you explain it. You can alsways "develop" an "allergy" to grease or somehting. I have on occasion. Saying "i don't like cheese sticks" usually does the trick too. They may gape and think you're weird, but they usually don't press.

Btw: That "excess to null" theory of binging until you can't break down food anymore sounds like a load. If there is an ounce of scientific evidence to back it up, I'd be surprised. I suppose it's not impossible, but why do that to yourself?

Last edited by Naxis; 05-21-2004 at 12:06 PM.

Old 05-23-2004, 09:19 PM   #12

msloquacious HB User

Well, I am still stuck on how a person can indulge in a cheat day in such a way as to not cause major damage to the progress they make each week? Obviously, if one were to eat clean (but jack up the calories) once a week, that would be the most metabolically-efficient; however, that doesn't help satisfy any major cravings for a doughnut or a piece of cheesecake or some pizza. If one were to eat all the stuff they craved, during the break day, then that might thwart their progress on their workouts simply by overloading the body with fat and refined sugars and salt! *sigh* What is the happy medium?!?

Old 05-24-2004, 06:39 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

The cheat *MEAL*. Pick the one or two things you REALLY crave and keep it to a single meal on your cheat day. Minimal damage, still allowing for a little indulgence.

Closed Thread