It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2004, 11:59 AM   #1
(male)

Sir Charles HB User
Weight loss/muscle gain

Hello, I'm new to the boards, and I seek help from you. I'm 17 years old, 6'1" tall and 195 lbs. My dream is to be a fighter pilot, but I may be too big. I've never been a small person so I really don't know if I'm capable of losing the spare tire that has been there most of my life. My goal is to lose a lot of fat and replace it with muscle (I bet that's not the first time you've heard that one). I have weight lifted and I am very strong for my age, but I want it to show (muscle definition and muscle mass), people just look at me and think "he's just a chubby big kid." Does anyone have any advice to really get me started? Please keep in mind I don't always have access to a weight room. If you need any more information about my build just ask, because I'm really serious about doing this because my dream of being a fighter pilot may rely on it.
Thanks a lot for your time and regards,
Charles

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2004, 01:21 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

Magpiezoe HB User
Re: Weight loss/muscle gain

Hello, Weights + aerobic/cardio + healthy diet = the results you seek. You mentioned that you can't always get to a gym, which means you can get there a few times per week? You don't need to lift everyday, because you need have rest days for the muscles to develop. The aerobic/cardio can be done on days you don't get to the weight room.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2004, 03:21 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

Getting some lean muscle will be your first order of business. If you haven't worked out much before, it should be pretty easy in the beginning. If you can make it to a gym 2 or 3 times a week, thats a good start. Start with a full body workout each session. One exercise per body part, and hit each muscle group every time (back, chest, legs, abs - arms if you want to, but do them last). Use compound movements (squats, rows, presses) since they work arms as well and use more stabilizers. Don't go to failure at first. Use a weight that you can do 10 reps comfortably, but struggle to get 15.
On days you dont lift (allow 24-48 hours between lifting workouts) do some kind of cardio. Run, jog, bike, rollerblade, jump rope, punching bag, swimming... anything that keeps your heart rate up for 30-60 minutes at a time. One day of total rest a week is good for the body and soul.

Diet: there are a lot of methods to reaching the same goals, but a few "rules" that must be followed. Calories are the primary factor in determining fat loss. You must have a caloric deficit (burning more than you are eating) or you will not lose fat. Conversely, if you eat too little, your body will slow its metabolism and hang onto fat, so you have to find the right range for your body. Gerneral rule of thumb is 10-12x bodyweight in calories each day (higher in the range if you're working out). If you can, divide those calories into 5 or 6 small meals to eat throughout the day (every 2-3 hours). It will keep you from being hungry and keep metabolism up so that you will use the nutrients and burn fat more efficiently. It can be kind of hard if you're in school, so little snacks or shakes you can have between classes might be very helpful for the sake of convenience.
Once that is in order, check the content of your diet. You need to be getting enough protein to build and maintain lean muscle mass (which keeps metabolism high) which is generally .8 to 1g per pound of body weight.
Carbs should be complex (oats, whole wheat breads, veggies). Avoid sugars and white foods when possible (white bread, white rice, pasta etc) because your body metabolizes them like it would sugar which increases likelihood of fat storage. Whole grain breads and brown rice and the like are burned more slowly and less likely to be stored. Vegetables are always a good choice, fruits are ok, but don't overdo it (sugar).
You must have fats. They are not the devil. But fat has 9 calories per gram (as opposed to 4 calories per gram for carbs and protein) so those calories can add up fast. A little healthy/unsaturated fat each day will help your body to use it's own fat for fuel (under a caloric deficit). As well as regulate hormones and various body functions. Go for nuts, natural nut butters, avocadoes, olives/olive oil, fatty fish etc.

Also good is to drink 1-3 litres of water a day.

Hope thats helpful. Good luck.

Old 05-19-2004, 08:38 PM   #4
(male)

Sir Charles HB User

Thank you both very much. Right now my muscles are pretty bulky, not long and lean like you were saying they should be. Is there a way to convert it from bulky to lean so I can burn fat faster? Also, exactly how many grams of protein should I be shooting for to gain muscle also? Naxis you said .8-1g of protein per pound of body weight, that seems like a lot of protein and maybe that's something I've been doing wrong. Is beef jerky a good snack to have between meals? Well sorry for all the questions, but thanks for the replies.
Regards,
Charles

Old 05-20-2004, 07:39 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

You don't need "long and lean" muscles. Genetics determine the shape of the muscle, but training is what gives you more solid mass. And it wouldn't cause you to burn fat faster anyway. The more muscle you have, the higher your metabolism. Working with what you have will get the job done. When I say "lean muscle mass" I just mean good, solid muscle as opposed to the flabby muscle of someone that doesn't use them.
Protein is the building block of muscle. It is very important to get enough, especially if you are working out. Jerkey is fine, in fact excellent for protein as it is low in fat, high in protein, but it is very high in sodium. Not somehting you need to be too worried about at your age, but something to be aware of. Drink a lot of water and it won't be a problem.

Last edited by Naxis; 05-20-2004 at 07:42 AM.

Old 05-20-2004, 02:58 PM   #6
(male)

Sir Charles HB User

Thank you very much Naxis, you have been very helpful

Closed Thread