It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2004, 07:08 PM   #1

Sofran HB User
Alternating Routines?

I've been exercising for quite a bit now and I've always had a steady routine for every day of the week (Except for Sundays, that would be my "break" for the week). I spend about 45 minutes at the gym every day with my routine.

Let me break it down quickly (This is my "daily" routine):

WARMUP
--------------------------
1 mile warmup run.
1 set/10 reps pull-ups.
1 set/10 reps dips.
POST-WARMUP
3 set/10 reps crunches at 130 pounds.
3 set/10 reps of that hip-turn thing at 100 pounds.
3 set/10 reps of dumbbell bicep arm curl at 30 pounds per arm.
3 set/10 reps of tricep cable pushdown.
3 set/10 reps of dumbbell bench press at 35 pounds per arm. (Just started this)
3 set/10 reps of cable pull down at 100 pounds.
3 set/6 reps of lever should press at 60 pounds.

Now, someone told me that it's advised to alternate your routine every 6 weeks... how would it be advisable that I alter my routine? I don't believe I quite understand what was meant, do I do different exercises? Or in different orders? Some help, thanks.

Also, is it unadvisable to do an overall body workout every day as opposed to specific body parts every day?

Finally, what is the ideal set/rep combination for building size?

P.S. Would Auxilary exercises eliminate the need for changing my routine? If so, any good suggestions?

Thanks for all the answers in advance, I'm really trying to increase overall muscle size, but I want to make sure I'm doing it correctly!

Last edited by Sofran; 05-19-2004 at 07:11 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2004, 10:27 PM   #2

never2L8 HB User
Re: Alternating Routines?

Altering your routine can be any one of a number of things to keep your body from adapting to what you are doing. If you do the same thing every day, your body soon adapts to that stress, you stop progressing and unless pushed, your body will only do what is necessary to get by.
You can vary your routine in any number of ways, including:
changing the exercises
changing from free weights to machine or vice versa
changing the rep range
changing the exercise order
increasing the weights being lifted
changing your exercise days/habits.

Overall body exercise days are good for fitness and/or beginners but of you are looking at seriously increasing strength or size you will have to look at breaking it up. Your muscles need to be given time to build and this happens during rest. So you can either do an overall body routine every 2nd or 3rd day, or split your exercises into two or more separate routines, doing them on alternate days.

For size I suggest the 8-12 rep range, 3 or 4 sets per exercise, starting with 2 exercises per body part. This brings up the previous point about splitting up your routine so that each session doesn't take 2 hours.

My split routines are chest, shoulders, triceps, upper abs in one session, legs and lower abs in another, back, biceps and upper abs in the third. Chest exercises tend to utilise the triceps, back exercises tend to also work the biceps, which is why I put them together. There is no real right or wrong grouping, you can find what works for you.

Old 05-20-2004, 12:16 PM   #3

Sofran HB User

Would doing all upper body one day, then all lower body the next day be a good way of alternating? I'm considering taking that approach, and then possibly devoting a third day to aerobics.

Thanks for the advice.

Old 05-23-2004, 03:25 AM   #4

never2L8 HB User

Upper body one day, lower body the next is a way to split your routines and making the third day aerobic would be a reasonable plan. Having aerobic exercise on a different day is deemed to be wise.

Closed Thread