It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2004, 12:09 PM   #1

big neal HB User
Calorie deficient (off days vs. on days)

I'm trying to fine-tune this "calorie deficient" process for the summer! My question is, should you shoot for more calorie deficiency on off days from working out or does it matter? Notice my following diet for on-days & off days:

(Work-out days)
5:30 (Protein shake w/milk & creatine...occasional banana)
8:30 (tuna)
11:30 (turkey sanwich on wheat, fruit, pork rhines or low-fat chips)
2:30 (Protein shake w/water & snack...chex mix or peanut butter crackers)
5:30 (Dinner...mostly baked chicken or sometimes fish or baked hamburger
and vegetables)
9:00 (Protein shake w/milk)

*Now on off days, it's pretty much the same! (sometimes I'm hungrier)...every once in a while, I'll eat a snack or something so that I don't deprive myself! This morning (work-out day), I had some cereal w/skim milk about an hour after my protein shake & creatine...I felt pretty good!

*Should I reduce this more or should I continue? By the way, my stats are
5ft 9 inches, 236lbs....I've been on the Max-OT program for about 1 year now! (it works great...I just want to try to get my eating fine-tuned)

Input welcomed!

Old 05-20-2004, 08:37 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User
Re: Calorie deficient (off days vs. on days)

For fat loss, every day should have a caloric deficit. Since you're burning more on workout days (or any high activity day) you need to eat a little more so you don't lose muscle, but you wanna keep intake less than what you burn. I don't know what the total calorie count is in everything you listed, but as for timing meals, just keep in mind what you will be doing for the next three hours. If you're going to be sitting at a desk doing work, eat light. If you're going to the gym or working in the yard or moving furniture etc, you'll want more calories. But keep the deficit to no more than 500 calories below your BMR or you're risking muscle loss, whether it's a workout day or an off day. I try to keep it as close to 500 below BMR as possible. In conjunction with the cardio you can lose about 2 lbs of fat a week.

ps. It kills me that you list "pork rinds" and "low fat chips" in the same sentence.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread