It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2004, 06:36 PM   #1
(female)

SuEstrellita HB User
Good shoes for Shin Splints

Hey, does anyone have any suggestions for shoes that might help my shin splints when I jog? I don't have a good gym near my house so when I'm home from college over the summer jogging is the way to go - but my shins hurt so much! Thanks in advance!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2004, 09:09 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User
Re: Good shoes for Shin Splints

I love Saucony, but anything that is intended for running/cross training will do so long as it is comfortable and cushiony. Have you just started jogging or are you already pretty conditioned? Most of the time, it is just a matter of building endurance for undertrained shin muscles (a majority of "shin splint" pain is weak muscles being suddenly worked beyond fatigue).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2004, 07:14 AM   #3

johnx HB User

Hey, when I get the beginning feelings of shin splints, I buy new shoes. Any pain I start getting in my legs means my shoes are worn out, and when I stop to think about it, they almost always have around 500 miles on them. Has worked for me every time - when I get pains in the legs, I buy new shoes and that fixes it.

Old 05-21-2004, 11:11 AM   #4
(female)

SuEstrellita HB User

I used the elliptical machines at my school's fitness center at least 4-5 times a week when I was back at college. I'm in pretty good shape. My legs (calves especially) are very muscular...might this have any impact on my pain?

Old 05-26-2004, 03:52 PM   #5

kell HB User
Wink Re: Good shoes for Shin Splints

If you get shin splints it is 9 out of 10 times your sneaks. What you should do is goto a running store, not your local sports authority or modell's a REAL running store, they are trained to find the right fit for you. They will measure and watch your gait some have computers they use, it is SOOOO important.
They will ask what exactly is bothering you and it makes a BIG difference. Everyone has there favorite sneak and some are marketed "just" for running, but unfortunately everyone has a different shaped foot and a different gait, so you really need to get what is best for you. I'm speaking from experience and I hope this helps!
good luck to you!

Old 05-26-2004, 05:34 PM   #6
(female)

SuEstrellita HB User

Wow, thanks...gotta' find some place like that in my area!

Old 05-28-2004, 12:23 PM   #7

VELOWcity80 HB User

actually, you can get insoles that help with shin splints, not dr scholls...but molded ones...some places do a test on your foot to test what type you need..HELPS A LOTTTTTTTT

Closed Thread