It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2004, 05:47 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

dfwgoodguy HB User
Stomach Muscles..keeping stomach sucked in..

Well i have been working out consistantly for about 8 months. I have lost quite a bit of fat and gain a lot of muscle mass. was 235lbs no muscle. Am now 175, with quite a bit of muscle all over. I am 5'8" (male), i still have some lbs to lose, but am seeing my abs a little, and still have some fat on my stomach. But my stomach is hard even at rest. I really don't work my stomach out that much. I use to use the ab roller every once and a while, but not conisistant. (although i find the ab roller to work well, i was sore for a few days after using it for a while when using it.)

I tend to keep my stomach sucked in and tightened throughout the day. I guess at first it was to keep my gut in, like when i was at work or out and about. To not look so fat..lol. Well over the months, it comes natural now, to have my stomach tightened and sucked it. I do it all day, breathing normally but with is tightened all day. And when i let loose and just let it sit there now, its still real hard. So i can't wait to see the abs that have came out of just keeping my stomach sucked in throughout the months.

I recommend trying it, its not difficult at all, or in any way tedious*. So even when your not working on your abs, keeping them tightened (not fully tightened, but just enough to keep your gut in) really helps your abs.

Even when i am finished losing all my weight i probably can still stick my stomach out and look kinda pregnant looking..lol. But keeping my stomach in has become natural even as i sit at my desk to anywhere. Anyone else do this? I find that its made my stomach really hard and bulked out with muscle.

Anyways, dunno if anyone else has done this, but i think you should. It has helped my abs a lot, and after a while it becomes natural to keep it tightened and keeps you stiff. Well whatever..lol just wanted to post and give some, what i think it useful information. Good Luck if you try it, i started out doing it just to keep my gut in lol, and now its become natural, and improved my abs tremendously.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2004, 04:53 AM   #2
(male)

ruglayer09052000 HB User
Re: Stomach Muscles..keeping stomach sucked in..

I do that too. I believe it's called isometrics. People keep telling me to stop sucking in my stomach, when in reality, it's just natural and effortless to do it. something else that I do, besides ab work, is I work on creating the 'vacumn' in my abdominal area. I got that tip from reading and article on Reg Park and he was describing one of the ways to 'look' leaner across the mid section.

Old 05-30-2004, 07:46 PM   #3

redlinestar HB User

the 'suck in' or 'vacuum' motion you talk of is actually very good for keeping the stomach flatter. there are muscles that keep everything held back, and you can tone and tighten those up through the 'suck in' exercise. i usually do this after my morning cardio. i'll kneel and suck in for about thirty seconds, relax, suck in for 30, relax, suck in for 30. it's a very good exercise, one that i think is somewhat underrated for getting the flat stomach. afterall, you don't want to give those abs TOO much mass.

Old 05-31-2004, 03:43 PM   #4
Veteran

mjmaciver HB User

Didn't your dad ever tell you? "Shoulders back Stomach in" it's good posture as well and excellent for your back. And your right, once it becomes habit, it stays forever.

talk to ya later

Old 05-31-2004, 04:09 PM   #5

b.t HB User

i heard you should suck in when you exhale
and relax when you inhale...

Closed Thread