It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2004, 07:52 AM   #1

brettskittie HB User
Reps and Goals

I read that to build muscle, you add weight and do reps of 8 or so, and to tone down, you take off weight to do reps of 12 to 15, but a couple of days ago, I ran into a man who told me to do 8 reps of 20 to 30 on one machine, and 6 reps of 20 to 30 on 3 other machines. He looked like he knew what he was talking about... So what's right?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2004, 09:58 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

Evl316 HB User
Re: Reps and Goals

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettskittie
I read that to build muscle, you add weight and do reps of 8 or so, and to tone down, you take off weight to do reps of 12 to 15, but a couple of days ago, I ran into a man who told me to do 8 reps of 20 to 30 on one machine, and 6 reps of 20 to 30 on 3 other machines. He looked like he knew what he was talking about... So what's right?

This is totally confusing. I'm assuming he told you 8 sets of 20 to 30 reps and 6 sets of 20 to 30 reps. Is that correct? 8 sets on one machine is way too many. Pretty much with any muscle you can find a lot of different exercises to work that muscle. Why do 8 sets on only one exercise when you can hit that muscle many different ways and do 2 or 3 sets per exercise for a total of more than 8 sets for that muscle. You're actually working your muscle harder and more effectively that way then with this brainiacs lame brain idea. 20 to 30 reps isn't going to be building much muscle. Keep in mind when you start lifting any crazy workout plan is going to add muscle but the true test comes after you've made your initial gains and you aren't going to be making any good gains with that crazy routine. Stick with the 6 to 12 range for gaining mass. Unless of course you prefer to listen to this guy and discount all scientific research and bodybuilder on the planet.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2004, 02:11 PM   #3
(male)

Bacardi HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evl316
This is totally confusing. I'm assuming he told you 8 sets of 20 to 30 reps and 6 sets of 20 to 30 reps. Is that correct? 8 sets on one machine is way too many. Pretty much with any muscle you can find a lot of different exercises to work that muscle. Why do 8 sets on only one exercise when you can hit that muscle many different ways and do 2 or 3 sets per exercise for a total of more than 8 sets for that muscle. You're actually working your muscle harder and more effectively that way then with this brainiacs lame brain idea. 20 to 30 reps isn't going to be building much muscle. Keep in mind when you start lifting any crazy workout plan is going to add muscle but the true test comes after you've made your initial gains and you aren't going to be making any good gains with that crazy routine. Stick with the 6 to 12 range for gaining mass. Unless of course you prefer to listen to this guy and discount all scientific research and bodybuilder on the planet.
Agreed, by the way I workout, and when I started again, doing too many sets on one machine or in one exercise actually made me hurt my arm my first night back. I used to just do martial arts and natural training (i.e. pushups, situps, etc..). But when you get into weight training and for what you want, that many sets isn't necessary at all. What I usually do is find a weight that is comfortable for me, then I go under about 15 lbs and do medium reps in like 2-3 sets on one machine or exercise, then move to something else that works on another part of my body but still requires strength from the area I just worked, if that makes sense. I get almost instant results and in the past week I've gotten compliments on how much more defined I'm becoming. Stick with what you were doing in my opinion, it'll pay off better in the long run.

Old 06-30-2004, 08:03 PM   #4
Inactive

Laurie2 HB User

The higher reps sound more like endurance (ie Rotator cuff therapy...low weights and high reps)

Strength reps is in the 6-8 range. Building mass is generally even lower reps with higher weights. But not doing 20 to 30 reps.

You would be defeating your purpose with that guy's suggestion. What works for him may not work for you. And, then, there are alot of gym "knowitalls" who dont.

Old 06-30-2004, 08:09 PM   #5

brettskittie HB User

well thank you very much everyone! your advice has been a relief and encouraging! I am still sore from the day I tried doing what he said, and that was 4 days ago, and I only made it to 4 reps of 20 on the 4 machines!

Closed Thread