HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Exercise & Fitness (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/exercise-fitness/)
-   -   Want to lose weight so bad! (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/exercise-fitness/189337-want-lose-weight-so-bad.html)

susanna_29 07-11-2004 10:36 PM

Want to lose weight so bad!

I'm 29 and I need to lose like 50lbs! I never thought I'd ever have to deal with it but now I do. Problem is I know swimming is one of the best ways to burn fat and tone all your muscles but I just don't have the confidence to go down to the pool at my club house!! I know I shouldn't care what people thing but I do. So, I might just stick around in my house and do step aerobics like 4x week and then do free weights w/ lower and upper body workouts 3x week. I eat pretty good. I just have this major problem with chocolate!! I'll usually eat wheat free cereal like Puffins or oatmeal with crushed pineapple for breakfast w/ a glass of juice. Lunch might be a salad w/ veggies and chicken strips and some fruit. Then dinner is sometimes a frozen dinner like rice and veggies and chicken. I'm trying really hard to drink tons of water too. I try to snack on other things that are good for me like raw almonds,low fat cheese and dried fruits. Does this sound good? If i eat chocolate it might be like 3 snack size hershey. mabe once a week. Is that bad? I'm taking a multivitamin for more calcium since I break out when i eat yogurt. Does this sound pretty decent? It's so hard!!! I'm taking two summer classes at night and I'm currently not even working til end of August so I definitely have the time to work out during the day. I don't know. Does anyone have other ideas or does it look like I'm ok.

VELOWcity80 07-12-2004 06:00 AM

Re: Want to lose weight so bad!

Here is the thing Susanna..when you need to lose weight, EVERYTHING that you already know is bad for you, is still bad for you even in smaller quantities.. if you want to start losing weight, you have to take drastic measures.....some people may look at you and say losing an arm is drastic..excluding chocolate from your diet for a few months is NOT, but i am a chocolate lover as well, i know how hard it is.. Here is the thing...50lbs equals approx 175000 Calories that you have to burn. Now whether its 20 or 200 unneeded calories with no real nutritional value, doesnt matter, it still counts against you.. Say you run hard for 45 amount of time and it burns 300 calories..Then you eat a bag of chips or whatever thats 200 calories....you wasted your time...Not 100% of it, maybe not even 50%..but still..if you want it bad, it takes A LOT of hard work.. You want everything you do to have the maximum effect otherwise you WILL get discouraged when you do not start seeing results as quickly as you would like...Once you have lost the weight, and maintain a healthy and active lifestyle, then its ok to splurge once in a while, and your metabolism should be high enough to burn off the junk you eat...as long as you stay active and eat somewhat healthy....you **WILL FAIL** if you dont discipline yourself....you will have to know the right exercises and form, but start with your EATING HABITS.....
I have been working out for a while now, worked as a trainer then for some time...took me a long time of trial and error, college classes and weeding out the good and bad information to achieve my goals...and i found a few things...some people trying to gain muscle hard, arent exercising right, same thing with people trying to lose weight..but mostly****ALL****dont achieve their goals, whether if be losing weight or gaining muscle in significant amounts because of their NUTRITION... What, When, and How much you eat will make all the difference..
What you eat and when should be like a work schedule.....

Naxis 07-12-2004 08:04 AM

Before we can give a valid critique of your workout/diet, we need your stats. Height/weight/age. For the record, I don't think that 3 mini Hersheys a *week* is bad at all. In fact, if you're being very strict with workout and diet, I think it's a fantastic reward. The thing that I'm more concerned about is that you may not be eating enough, OR that the snacks are pushing you over your calorie threshold. I know it's a pain, but keep a food journal for a couple of days. Record everything that you eat - snacks, drinks, condiments. The food, how much and when, and note how many calories it is (use the nutrition info on the box, or if it's fruits and meats etc. you can look it up on the USDA site). The BIGGSET factor to losing weight is to make sure you are burning more calories than you are eating, but not TOO much more or your body will kick into a "starvation response" which slows metabolism, holds onto fat and eats up muscle instead which is what you REALLY don't want. Your workout looks fine for now if you stay consistent, but diet is what is going to make a big difference.

susanna_29 07-12-2004 02:53 PM

I'm 29, 4'11" and 155lbs. I do have a small body frame and would like to get to a goal weight of 107-113 . FOr my body type I shouldn't be over 113 lbs. SO I'm really going to give my all. What do you suggest as nutrition? Because I only eat 3 times a day and may snack on healthy stuff like raw almonds and dried & fresh fruits and water of course. This is how I ususally eat
Breakfast: Oatmeal with crushed pineapple
glass of oj or
bowl of Puffins rice cereal w/ 2%milk
fruit & glass of juice

Lunch: Salad w/ lots of veggies,feta cheese and chicken strips w/ a red wine vinagrette or it could be a turkey or tuna wrap w/veggies and I always have some fruit. and water

Dinner: Salad w/ veggies, roasted vegetables , grilled chicken or turkey. Fruit.
sometimes a small sweet potatoe
Am I missing anything? I know I really need more calcium but I can't eat yogurt so I thought maybe a sugar free fat free pudding? Also, I'm taking a vitamin supplement. Any other ideas would be great.

Naxis 07-13-2004 06:59 AM

Your diet doesnt look too bad at all. For your current height and weight you should be shooting for 1300-1500 calories a day. On days that you work out, you should aim for the higher end of the range. Based on what you listed, this is a basic breakdown of your caloric intake (I'm not sure about the portion sizes, so you'll have to adjust accordingly)

1/2 c. Oatmeal = 150 calories
1/2 c. pineapple = ~70 calories
6 oz fresh orange juice = 170 calories
Total = 320

Salad/veggies = 50-100 calories?
1/4 c. feta cheese = 100 calories
1/2 chicken breast = 130 calories
Piece of fruit = about 60-100 calories
Total = ~410 calories

Salad = about 100 calories
Roasted veggies = 50-100? calories
1/2 chicken breast = 130 calories
fruit = ~80 calories
1/2 c. Sweet potato (no condiments) = 88 calories
Total = 240 - 328

Daily meal intake: about 970 calories

Snacks:
1 oz (23 whole kernels) almonds = 164 calories
1/4 c. packed raisins = 123 calories

Nuts have a lot of fat (but it's HEALTHY fat) so just be aware that calories add up quickly. Dried fruit generall has a lot of sugar too, so I'd generally avoid it if you can help it. You could probably use a little more protein and less high GI carbs (sugar). Some fruit is good for vitamins and all, but there is a lot of sugar in them. When trying to lose weight, it's best to either go for fewer pieces of low GI fruits (cherries, apples, grapefruits, pears) preferably in the morning only, or to replace the fruit with veggies, or protein. I'd ditch the OJ in the morning and go for the orange (then you get the fiber as well, no added sugar or preservatives) or skip it altogether and have tea or skim milk. Cereal is one of my least favorite things ever. Most cereals are primarily refined carbs that your body treats like sugar (metabolizes it very quickly and anything that isn't almost immediately used gets stored as fat). Oatmeal is a much better choice, takes longer for your body to burn. Whole wheat toast or an egg white omelette is good stuff too (and get some good protein). If you have to have carbs with dinner, have fruit OR a potato. Both is too many carbs before bed (unless you're particularly active after dinner). I'd recommend losing them if you can stand it. have some fat free, sugar free jello for dessert to satisfy the sweet tooth. :)
So like I said, overall it looks like you're doing pretty good. Might try to get a little more protein in and move some carb choices around, but with your workouts, I'd say you should expect to see weight loss fairly quickly. Good luck!

susanna_29 07-13-2004 08:24 PM

Thank you so much for your tips and adivce. I really appreciate it.

VELOWcity80 07-14-2004 05:14 AM

Naxis had some good advice, but people respond to different foods in different ways. I would say experiment too, and every 2 weeks track your progress. Definitely get a solid workout plan, resistance and cardio.