It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2004, 12:12 PM   #1

rubetc93 HB User
Question Need exercise advice/help

Hi!

I'm a 33yr old female (159 lbs 5'4"). I've been dieting my whole life it sees like. Anyway, I've been trying to do Weight Watchers (online) for the last few months b/c that's the best program for me. I'm trying to drop about 10 lbs. I wasn't losing any weight so I decided to add exercise. It's never worked for me in the past but I thought I would give it a try again. Our work has a gym so I joined it at the beginning of June.

My main goal: to lose weight (and tone up a bit). Since then, I have not lost a thing (no weight or inches) except maybe my sanity. I still count my calories (points) and am very dedicated...workout 5 days a week. I was wondering if anyone could take a look at what I'm doing and provide any advice.

Here is my daily routine (5 days a week):

My target heart range is 128-158

30 minutes on the elliptical (3 minute warm-up)
-I've slowly been able to add resistance (I'm at about 5) now
-My heart rate usually stays at about 155-160
and
30 minutes on the treadmill (walking, I hate to run)
-My speed is usually b/w 3.5-3.7
-My incline is usually b/w 8-9
-My heart rates is usually stays around the 140 range
-3 minute cool down

Every other day I do strength training for my upper & lower body (it takes about 1/2 hour to complete)

I figured that with an 1hr's worth of cardio my body would be dropping all kinds of weight or at least inches since I NEVER exercise. But nothing, nadda! It's very disheartening and I'm about to give up. Is 2 months not enough time to see results? I know muscle weighs more than fat but after 2 months I should see some kind of results, right?

Please help, I'm at my wits end.
Thanks!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-22-2004, 03:41 PM   #2
Inactive

SparkleBuggy HB User
Re: Need exercise advice/help

If you could, please list what you're consuming throughout the day. Are you eating 5-6 small meals a day? What time of day are you working out? Are you eating before and after your workouts? How much wieght are you using during your weight training time? How long have you been doing the same routine? There are many different questions that could be the problem.

Just to let you know, lean muscle burns more fat! So, don't be afraid of using heavier wieghts. You will not BULK up, so give it a try. If I were you, I wouldn't do an hour of cardio, but do 30-45 minutes of cardio. You should do 15 minutes of 3 different types of cardio. So, use the treadmill as your warm-up, then the elliptical, then finish with either the stairmaster or cycles. This is more effective then doing the same routine over and over again.

Old 07-23-2004, 06:28 AM   #3

rubetc93 HB User

Food
In the morning I either eat Kashi Go Lean (1 cup)/1 cup skim milk or egg beaters with a slice of whole wheat toast. One cup of coffee. Mid-morning I usually eat a piece of fruit or Kashi Go Lean bar.

For lunch I usually eat a weight watcher frozen meal and maybe a salad or some kind of veggie.

Now the afternoon can be tricky. This is where I usually get ravenous. I try to eat mid-afternoon though. Maybe fruit or sometimes a Rice Krispy Bar (b/c it's only 2 WW points).

Dinner is usually whatever my hubbie fixes. Usually a protein with some kind of carb & veggie.

I don't drink sodas and all I drink all day is water. On the weekends this is drastically different though. I don't eat small meals through out the day b/c I"m usually running errands and stuff. I do have my ocassional slip ups though.

Workouts
Cardio
I always workout after work. Sometimes I work out during lunch but that's only if I can go home & work afterwords. Working out early a.m. is not an option for me.

I started working out June 1st. I was only able to do about 30-35 minutes combined cardio work out. Again though it was split between the treadmill & elliptical. Now I'm up to an hour sometimes a little more split between the two. I do this same routine every day (m-f). Our gym is closed on weekends b/c it's at work. How come it's not good to work out for a full hour on them? I've been able to increase resistance & time on both since I started. Our gym has the following cardio equipment:
  • Treadmill
  • Elliptical
  • Stationary Bikes (the sit down & regular kinds)
  • Stair Master

Weights
This is where I'm sorely lacking. I have no muscle strength what so ever.
I do 2 sets of 12 for each of these. I rest a minute in b/w each and do them every other day (MWF).
  • Triceps (just started lifting 20lbs)
  • Biceps (struggling with 15 lbs)
  • Lats (40lbs)
  • Chest (just upped it to 15 lbs)
  • Abs - (just upped it to 30lbs)
  • Calves (70lbs)
  • Inner & Outer Thigh (I use the Hamstring machine for these) 7.5 lbs
  • Squats (50lbs)

So what do you think? Thanks for your help!!

-betsy

Old 07-23-2004, 12:39 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

It looks like your on the right track and your doing it right. I would keep trying and don't give up. Are you sure your not sneaking a few cookies here and there or cheating just a little? I found that to be my problem even if I was just doing it a little, it all ads up. If not, keep trying or get your thyroid checked.

Old 07-26-2004, 08:19 AM   #5

rubetc93 HB User

Ok, I'm really confused now. I've been reading up this weekend on exercising for my body type. My main goal for exercising is to lose weight/inches - neither which has happened after 2months. I've also been reading some old posts on this board.

Description of my body:
Upper body smal//normal but arms are fat & flabby
Small waist
not much belly
Hips, butt, thighs, calves BIG/Huge & Fat! I would comare my legs to tree trunks or as I heard in a movie once "cankles".

It's almost like my upper body doesn't match my lower body. My lower body is also the last place I lose weight/inches when I diet.

When I do my cardio (an hour a day)I add a lot of resistance, I also do strength training 3 days a week. Should I not be adding resistance or doing strength trainging if I want to slim down my legs? I want them to be firmer though b/c they jiggle all over the place.

Upper Body? My main goal is to tone up my arms. Should I not be doing any resistance training there either? Is it better to do more reps & less weight?

If my goal is to lose weight/inches should I be doing more reps and less weight if at all? I know muscle burns fat but I don't want to push out the fat that I've got. I want to lose it...which I'm not.

I always thought the main goal of strength training was to lift heavier weights as time goes by. Is that not true, for toning & losing weight that is?

This whole exercise thing is new to me. Yes, I'm 33 and should know better but I only did diets alone b/c exercise never worked for me. And this case is proving true. Instead of giving up on exercising this time though, I want to learn all I can and do the right exercises.

Thanks!!

-betsy

Old 07-26-2004, 01:31 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

Betsy,
I think your being a little too impatient about your goals. Seeing results will take time so be patient, DON'T give up cause once you start seeing results you won't ever want to stop and you'll probably make exercise a ritual daily habit. Anyways, I think your a pear shape, where it's virtually hard to lose weight in the lower body. I think you should increase your weights instead of doing more reps, at least that works for me. If you can do 12 reps without feeling challenged the you need to increase the weights. For example, ya know bicep curls, if you can do 12 without a problem it's time to increase. I think an hour of cardio on the days you don't strength train (which is 3 days) is great. You have to stick to your diet and exercise plan, drink lots of water, and BE PATIENT! I think patience is the main problem when dieting and exercising. If you keep it up at this rate I can promise you'll see results. I have always found step aerobics to be great for losing weight, especially the lower body. Again BE PATIENT, it will be worth the hard work!!

Old 07-27-2004, 07:54 AM   #7

rubetc93 HB User

I know I'm not patient but I think I would start to see something by now, you know. Especially since I hadn't exercised in years prior to starting in June. In fact, I've gained a few pounds since starting which is very discouraging. I'm still going to continue since I know it takes a long time for me to lose weight. I was just wondering what I was doing wrong since I hadn't lost a thing.

Old 07-29-2004, 05:24 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubetc93
Now the afternoon can be tricky. This is where I usually get ravenous. I try to eat mid-afternoon though. Maybe fruit or sometimes a Rice Krispy Bar (b/c it's only 2 WW points).
Betsy, this stood out to me. If you're getting 'ravenous' by mid afternoon it's a sign of falling blood sugar. I find that heavy carb meals do this to me and if I increase my protein and have a little more fat at my earlier meals it stops.

Also be sure you're atcually eating enough; sounds wierd but it's true. Eating too little will slow fat burning as it stresses your body and an overly stressed body isn't going to shed fat, it will be too occupied trying to conserve reserves for what it sees as an impending famine (fuel shortage). When you increase energy expenditure you should also increase calories; both exercise and eating raise metabolism, which is what you're striving for.

Cheers,
Nat

Old 07-29-2004, 01:49 PM   #9

rubetc93 HB User

I figured out what my BMR is supposed to be with exercise included and am reducing my caloric intake by 10-20% so that I expend more energy (calories) than I'm eating. I'm also keeping a daily log of what I eat and am trying to balance my meals/snacks with carbs-proteins-fats.

I tell you what, it's hard.

Old 07-29-2004, 02:26 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

As one of my favourite health and fitness gurus is fond of saying "If it were easy everyone would look like they were lean and fit".

It really does pay off. You feel so much better it's incredible. The good thing is you feel better almost right away - makes it easier to keep going.

Nat

Closed Thread