It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2004, 02:22 PM   #1
(male)

Dave56789 HB User
anyone intolerant to exercise?

I am trying to learn about exercise intolerance. Whenever I start an exercise program, I get sick after a week or two. This happens even if I start out slow. I am not overweight, nor do I have any chronic health problems (that I know of). I have had a lot of blood work recently and it all came back normal. I am wondering if anyone has experienced this or has any recommendations.

Old 09-30-2004, 02:31 PM   #2
(male)

Zshock HB User
Re: anyone intolerant to exercise?

I currently have a semi intolerance...I recently started accutane and everytime I start to sweat and my body temperature raises it feels like I have the chicken pox and I just start itching all over. I know it's just the medicine I'm on because this never used to happen. I love exercising and I'm not about to give it up because some medicine makes me itch everytime I do it.

Anyways enough about me, my question for you is are you motivated about exercise? I found that my mind plays a big part in my exercising. If I think I can't do something my body will find a way to get me to stop doing it. Usually even if you don't feel like exercising you just have to get up and do it because you'll feel so much better afterwards.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2004, 03:33 PM   #3
(male)

Dave56789 HB User

Zshock:

Thanks for your information. And good question. I find that at first, I am hesitant to start exercising. And sometimes I have to push muself to start. But after I get started, I do feel better. But after about 10 days, I get sick (mostly I get sinus infections) and have to go to my doctor, take antibiotics, and stop exercising for several days. Then it seems like I start the cycle all over again.

Old 10-01-2004, 09:37 AM   #4

Tank53 HB User

What do you mean by sick exactly? Like sick to your stomach, flu like symptoms, etc.? And how often do you work out and for how long? Do you drink enough water to keep your body hydrated?

The first thought that popped into my head was the articles I was reading today about L-Glutamine. Its an amino acid that's produced naturally in the body (I think..don't quote me on the natural-in-the-body stuff).....mostly found in the muscles. Weight lifters use a supplement of this because after a rigorous workout, the muscles can be depleted by up to 50% of this AA. Taking it helps with recovery, less breakdown of the muscle, and other benefits.

My point is that I read that L-Glutamine also helps with the immune system and your resistance to get sick. I know from personal experience if you work out too hard and too often it leaves you open to get sick. That's probably the only reason I've gotten sick twice this year...too hard and too much. This is because a lack of L-G being in the body to help boost the immune system. My wonder, and its pure speculation, is if you are working yourself too hard then depleting yourself of L-G. That would leave you open to the chance to get sick.

Surely theres plenty of variables to the possible problem you're having. My was only a suggestion. If L-G is the problem, a big "if", then two suggestions and recommend the first. Don't exercise so hard and let your body recover more. Or decide to take a supplement for it.

Old 10-01-2004, 09:45 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

Dave, what did they test that came back normal? Do you have a hard time putting on weight? Do you feel anxious or jittery ever (like you've had too much caffeine)? Or do you find yourself tiring easily? And one more, is your blood pressure abnormal? (either high or low).

Nat

Old 10-19-2004, 11:14 AM   #6
Inactive

Rickhard HB User

a few years ago my doctor told me i had exercise intolerance. all my bloodwork was normal. cardio stress test good. however, after doing thirty minutes of light aerobic exercise i would either fall asleep or feel very weak and tired the next day. i would often have to stay in bed all day to recover and feel normal again. this continued for around two years. my doctor said there was nothing he could do for me. in march of this year i did an extreme diet makeover. i dropped all the processed foods and junk foods and began eating lots of oatmeal, brown rice, raw fruits and veggies, low fat milk, lean meats, whole wheat bread. after about a month i began to feel better. i decided to try exercising again. to my pleasant surprise i began to tolerate aerobic exercise again. i worked my way up to 45 minutes at a time 4 days a week. then i started eating ground flax seed in june. this is october. now, i can ride the bike 90 minutes or longer 5 or 6 times a week. since i started eating ground flax i have severely reduced my use of allergy and asthma meds. flax strengthens your immune system and it should help with your recurrent sinus infections. when i started eating ground flax i started with 1 tbsp and gradually increased it. i felt better mentally and physically better at the 1/4 cup level but didn't get the big benefits until i got up to the 1/2 cup level. i'm off antidepressants and anti-anxiety meds. i drink a lot of water and a multivitamin/mineral supplement, too. i'm not totally fatigue free. after six active days i need one day of total rest, but this is so much better than feeling tired every single day. i cook the ground flax seed with my oatmeal. good luck.

Old 10-22-2004, 11:06 AM   #7
(female)

pandapunch HB User

that chicken pox feeling is because your skin is dry. the accutane is drying your skin out and once you start to sweat your pores go crazy and you get all itchy. i have this problem and i don't take accutane. mine however comes and goes with the weather. sometimes it is so bad that i can't exercise. i have to stop and itch my body all over. i've noticed though that if i use a light lotion before i exercise it really cuts down on the itchyness.

Old 10-22-2004, 06:48 PM   #8
(male)

Zshock HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandapunch
that chicken pox feeling is because your skin is dry. the accutane is drying your skin out and once you start to sweat your pores go crazy and you get all itchy. i have this problem and i don't take accutane. mine however comes and goes with the weather. sometimes it is so bad that i can't exercise. i have to stop and itch my body all over. i've noticed though that if i use a light lotion before i exercise it really cuts down on the itchyness.

I know it's because of my dry skin, I do put on moisturizer on before exercising and it does cut down on the itchiness, but I still itch like crazy. I have found though that once I get through the initial itching phase it seems to go away. Either it's because I'm sweating at that point and my skin isn't dry, or it's because I am no longer focusing on the itching, but instead on the exercise I'm doing.

Old 10-22-2004, 06:51 PM   #9
Inactive

Weatherman Pipe HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave56789
I am trying to learn about exercise intolerance. Whenever I start an exercise program, I get sick after a week or two. This happens even if I start out slow. I am not overweight, nor do I have any chronic health problems (that I know of). I have had a lot of blood work recently and it all came back normal. I am wondering if anyone has experienced this or has any recommendations.
I think what you need is a little inspiration.Think of all the benefits exercise can give you.Then, i think you will be on the righ track!

Closed Thread