It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2004, 10:57 PM   #1
(male)

Trashmaster HB User
Best way to gain muscle???

i just wwant to know if any of you have found certain products to be the best in gaining a lot of muscle mass and works well besides steroides what are some good products out there because right now i am 163 and i need to get up to 200 lbs for next years football season.

plz help me!

Old 11-05-2004, 05:02 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User
Re: Best way to gain muscle???

Creatine can help, but it sounds like you need to *eat*. If you're lifting hard, varying your routine, and eating well, you should be able to see fairly consistent gains. What's your current diet/exercise program look like?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-05-2004, 08:02 AM   #3
(male)

Trashmaster HB User

right now i'm not taking anything special to gain weight i've just been lifting.

Old 11-08-2004, 07:29 AM   #4

Tank53 HB User

40 lbs of muscle in a year? Wow, I mean I don't want to be the heartbreaker but that will be incredibly hard to do. You'd have to be on a really specialized program and it will also depend on your body type too. If you dont mind a bit of fat too, well that's more reasonable.

I'll just echo what Naxis said, she's so smart From the sound of it you need to EAT. I mean I'm not the size I am without eating. Granted, its not all muscle. But I actually had my parents/friends ask me several times in the past if I use steroids. Which I haven't and never will. I'm just dedicated to working out mostly cause I enjoy putting my shoulder into something. Literally sometimes. But outside of my genetics, eating was key. I've always eat fairly well.

My suggestion is don't be afraid of foods. Avoid fried stuff, sweets, and snacks though. Eat things such as apples, peanut butter, soy milk, whole wheat pasta, and things nutritional. And don't forget your vegetables like raw carrots, brocoli, romaine lettuce, spinach, eggplant, and the likes.

Old 12-02-2004, 07:13 PM   #5

STRONGNOW HB User

Food is more anabolic than any steroid. Eat & than eat some more. Eat clean & u will grow...muscle.
Here is how I generally eat..(great read)

SPELLING IT OUT

Here are two simple guidelines that may help put a proper eating procedure in order. After a while, eating right will seem like the most natural thing in the world.

One: Eat Protein At Every Meal.

I can't make it any simpler than this. As a bodybuilder, you MUST make protein your main priority. That doesn't mean you need to eat skinless chicken breasts three times a day. It just means that a bowl of pasta isn't a meal. Eating crap just because you're hungry is worse than not eating at all.

And two...

Follow The Old Rule of Protein Grams.

Way back when, someone wrote that a good guideline of protein consumption was one gram per pound of bodyweight. At first it was accepted, then repeated, and before long, everyone assumed it was an indisputable fact. Then came the scientists. They discussed it. Disagreed with it. And eventually discredited it -- for no other reason other than they weren't satisfied with the "non-scientific" reasoning. Well, as it turns out, the one gram of protein per pound of bodyweight isn't a bad rule after all. Of course, it's an estimate. But if you shoot for it, and get close, you'll be in the right range.

One gram per pound may seem simple enough but to those who've been following a "normal" diet will attest, that's a LOT of protein. But by making this a priority it automatically keeps the fat and carbs in check.

Some skeptics argue that 200 grams of protein for a 200 pound bodybuilder isn't enough and that if you want maximum gains you must eat massive amounts of protein. That's just dumb. The body can only utilize so much protein at a time -- which led some of the old timers to believe more than 25 grams each meal was excessive and that the excess will be turned to waste. Again, this is just conjecture, but it's in the ballpark. You need to "shower" your muscles with protein, but once a cup is full, it's full. Pouring more into it will do no good.

For those who need a detailed plan, here's an example of a "bodybuilders" diet.

Portions are determined by one's goals.

Breakfast:
Eggs, Bacon, Sausage or Ham, High Fiber Cereal, Coffee

Afternoon snack:
MRP or homemade protein shake

Lunch:
Turkey or Roast Beef Sandwich

Afternoon Snack:
Nuts or hard boiled egg or a piece of cheese or some fruit

Dinner:
Fish or Beef with large salad

Late night snack:
Protein bar with glass of milk

This diet isn't mystical or magical. It doesn't have a trendy name or macho title. It's just eating. It's only one example of a sensible diet for anyone looking to make the most of their bodybuilding goals. There are millions of variations. This is meant as nothing more than a starting point toward getting on track toward proper eating. Of course, I could say stuff like, substitute meal one with nothing but meat and on the following day, every other week, eat brussel sprouts every third hour and blah, blah, blah blah blah. I hate that ****.

A popular question among many novice bodybuilders concerns gaining bulk. They want more size and they want it yesterday. I can't tell you how many people have told me they can't gain weight no matter what they do. They've tried every diet and every supplement and nothing works. Well, I have the answer. It's foolproof and guaranteed. Everyone who has followed this advice has gotten bigger. But you must follow the instructions implicitly! No variations or deviations of any kind!

Do this, and you will definitely grow.

Eat more.

Right about now, you may be saying; "what are you, some kind of wise ***?"

Well, yeah, I am, but one thing has nothing to do with the other.

No matter what anyone tells you, you must increase calories in order to get bigger. You CAN NOT gain size without doing so.

PERIOD!

Now for those of you who need further edification, this is not a justification to eat gobs of junk food. The simple key is to follow the guidelines of a healthy diet and simply crank up the quantity.

I apologize for the lack of convolution. Maybe you wanted a detailed diet plan that has you eating strange foods at weird intervals along with the latest poly-nucleac razzmatazz super supplement which will insure MUSCLE GROWTH BEYOND YOUR WILDEST DREAMS!!!!

Just pretend. The end result will be the same.

So how long will it take to get bigger? As long as it will take not to get bigger. Don't worry so much about "when" as "how." Do what it takes and stop waiting for easy answers.

EAT ALL YOU WANT -- AND STILL LOSE FAT!

Diet plans come and diet plans go, yet one thing remains the same. Taste and hunger are powerful forces. They're a desire and they're a need. Attempting to reject that need in an effort to lose fat can only lead to failure and disappointment. Although just about everyone would like to shed some extra flab, at times it seems to be a near impossibility and that lean muscular look continues to elude.

Isn't it funny how once hunger pangs have been quelled, that's the time we realize the need to eat right? That's why you hear so many people say they're going to start their diets tomorrow, or next week, or after the New Year. The intention may be sincere but the days are long and when hunger sets in, there's only so much willpower one can muster before the cravings become too great.

Instead of using denial as a method for staying on track, a more effective and realistic tactic would be to adopt an eating plan that allows you to eat good tasting food and still stay within your bodybuilding goals. This is the premise behind many of the low carb diets. The idea of eating steaks and cheeseburgers and rack of lamb is very appealing, yet it becomes quickly apparent that without carbohydrates, the food choices are very limiting which is exactly the reason why many people lose weight on low carb diets.
With less food to choose from, the less you tend to eat -- which leads to eating less overall calories. The problem with this game plan is what causes the downfall. Sooner or later, you just have to eat a piece of bread or a bowl of pasta! And when you do that, the diet is blown.

A more practical approach is to stick to a variety of foods that are filling and offer a high ratio of nutrients with the emphasis on protein. In this way, you can apply and adhere to a more "normal" eating lifestyle. As long as you don't binge or eat total junk food (sweets and snacks with empty calories), it's possible to eat what you enjoy and as much as you need.

The following is a list of 20 foods which fit the bill perfectly. They're nutrient dense and each choice is meant to serve the purpose of either providing maximum energy or muscle building protein. They also taste good. And let's face it, that counts!

1) Salmon

Besides being an excellent source of protein, salmon is abundantly rich in heart healthy omega-3 oils. Omega-3's have been shown to lower LDL levels (the "bad" cholesterol), improve the immune system and help the body utilize body fat for fuel. Salmon is also high in Vitamin B12, which helps in the metabolism of carbohydrates.

2) Oatmeal

The bran found in oatmeal helps eliminate toxins from the digestive tract and assists in the removal of fat before it's digested by clinging to the fat particles and pushing them through the intestines unabsorbed. Oatmeal can be eaten alone or added to a wide variety of foods. Homemade oatmeal cookies with added protein makes a wholesome high protein treat.

3) Eggs

If it were possible to concoct the perfect food, it wouldn't be much different from the good old egg. Eggs are pure high quality protein but their advantages don't stop there. The yolks, which many a health conscious individual discards, contain mono and polyunsaturated fat (the "good" fat) as well as a hefty dose of lecithin which helps to emulsify body fat. Eggs also contain vital lipotropics such as DHA as well as lutein and carotenoids. Many experts believe eggs are also anabolic due to the cholesterol content. (All cell growth requires cholesterol). And one egg contains only 75 calories. They're are also extremely economical, making them a "must have" for anyone interested in growing muscle and losing fat.

4) Broccoli

It may not be on everyone's list of favorites, but broccoli is one mighty nutritious food. High in vitamins C, E and A, it's also rich in sulforaphane which has been shown to inhibit cancer growth. Try cooking it in olive oil and garlic and you may change your mind about the taste of broccoli.

5) Soups

Many soups contain beans and vegetables making it a filling and nutritious adjunct to a meal or as a "light" meal all on its own. Just watch out for canned soups which tend to have an excess of 1000mgs of sodium per serving!

6) Salads

Sufficient roughage is a must for proper digestion when on a reduced calorie diet. A common mistake among dieters is to eat salad without an accompanied side dish. Lettuce is mostly water and digested quickly, leaving you with hunger pangs shortly afterward. Salads are best with a meal because they "take up room" in the stomach and prevent overeating.

Old 12-02-2004, 07:15 PM   #6

STRONGNOW HB User

There you have it. Twenty fabulous foods that not only won't blow your diet but help you have more energy and gain more muscle. There's no reason to starve or deny yourself good tasting food. As long as you make the right food choices, you can enjoy eating and still get in great shape. Bon Appetite.

Great Tasting Ways To Grow More Muscle

If you're looking to gain weight, extra calories, especially protein, is essential. If losing fat is the objective, maintaining adequate protein is the only way to prevent muscle loss while in a calorie deficit. Most any quality protein supplement fills these needs quite well. One of the problems with most meal replacements is that they don't work very well in accomplishing what their title suggests, that of replacing a meal. A liquid food source is digested quickly, which is great when you want to replenish nutrients after a workout but not so great if you're looking for something that will keep you full for hours. Some products attempt to fulfill the "satisfaction" quotient by adding thickeners producing a more immediate feeling of fullness, but this tactic has its drawbacks. Swigging down two or three "heavy" shakes every day is a procedure few people can tolerate on a consistent basis. Besides, even if the drink is thick, it will be quickly digested, leaving you with hunger pangs soon afterward. In that regard, meal replacements are most effective for weight gaining purposes. Having a shake in-between meals will add extra protein and calories while still maintaining enough of an appetite for solid food.

Take a look through any bodybuilding magazine or stroll down the aisle of your local health food store and the apparent choices of products are staggering. Literally hundreds of companies are vying for your business. I'll forgo recommending any particular brands since a big factor in choosing a meal replacement is its taste, and what one person thinks tastes like ice cream, another person thinks tastes like melted linoleum. To each his own. If you've been supplementing for a while, you probably know what you like and are reluctant to change. But getting extra protein is never a bad idea.

The following recommendation is meant to be an adjunct to your current protein supplementation. It requires nothing more than an initial investment of some unflavored protein powder.

Although whey has become the most popular choice due to its high bio-available profile, it may be best to use a combination of protein sources. Egg protein is, in some ways, preferable to whey in that it's a more "pure" protein. Milk protein has the advantage of being slow to digest, making it a more "time released" muscle building source. It also provides a nice texture and "mouth feel." Personally, I prefer a blend of 50% Ion Exchanged Whey, 25% Casein, 20% Egg White, and 5% Whole Egg.

Okay, so you've got your protein. Now, what do you do with it? The answer is to simply implement the protein into your favorite flavor shakes and desserts. For some strange reason, many of the chocolate flavored pre-flavored meal replacements taste dreadful, yet chocolate is the easiest flavor to make delicious! In some cases, the reason for the foul taste could have to do with the additional vitamins and minerals added to the MRP's, but if you take a quality vit/min supplement, your micronutrient requirements will be covered.

For the best tasting Chocolate Protein Shake, try this:

In a blender, mix one cup of 2% reduced fat milk, 4 ice cubes, and one scoop of your protein blend.

Mix ingredients together. Then add 1 spoonful of cocoa, one spoonful of sugar, and one packet of either aspartame or sucralose.

If preferred, you can use a pre-mixed chocolate flavoring (i.e., Bosco or Nestle's Quik -- either regular or sugar-free or a combination of both.)

Note: Most artificial sweeteners work best as sweetening "enhancers." If there's some real sugar used along with it, they're fine, but by themselves, they're pretty gross -- at least I think so.

Although this chocolate shake may seem like it would be too high in sugar, the overall carb content won't be much higher in products which use maltodextrin or fructose or dextrose. And it'll taste a lot better!

If you want a weight gaining version, substitute the 2% reduced fat milk with Half and Half. That'll make you grow! If you're extremely underweight, you can add a scoop of ice cream.

Old 12-02-2004, 07:16 PM   #7

STRONGNOW HB User

CITRUS SMOOTHIE

Here's one that would normally be considered for fat loss since it's light and refreshing, but due to the fact that it goes down so easily, it's actually great for mass building programs as a super source of extra protein.

ýIn a blender, mix a half cup of cold water, one scoop of protein powder, one banana, 10 frozen strawberries, 4 ice cubes and 2 packets of sucralose or aspartame. Voila! A delicious summertime treat -- anytime!

When working with unflavored protein, it doesn't only have to be used in shakes. There are plenty of ways to utilize the protein without even knowing how to cook. Here are a few examples:

INSTANT PROTEIN PUMPKIN PIE

ýBlend protein and milk into a thick batter and pour into a bowl. Add one can of pumpkin, and a half box of instant vanilla sugar-free pudding.

Mix in 4 packets of aspartame or sucralose and a glop of honey.

Add 1/4 ounce of pumpkin pie spice (Cinnamon, Nutmeg and Allspice)

Pour contents into a graham cracker pie crust and refrigerate for 20 minutes.

A killer dessert with approximately 15 grams of protein per slice -- and a hefty dose of fiber as well!

PROTEIN BROWNIES

Using a half cup of pre-packaged brownie mix along with a half cup of protein blend, add one egg, a quarter cup of oil, walnuts, and 4 packets of sucralose.

ýPour batter halfway up in a greased cupcake pan.

Bake at 375 degrees for 8 minutes.

Allow to cool fully. YUM!!!

PROTEIN OATMEAL COOKIES

Mix two packets of apple cinnamon instant oatmeal with a large scoop of protein powder. Add one egg, a spoonful of cinnamon, 1/4 cup of wheat germ, a small box of raisins (optional) a dash of salt, 4 packets of sucralose and an 1/8th of a cup of oil.

Squish batter into flat 2" cookie shapes on an ungreased pan.

Bake in pre-heated oven at 350 for 8-10 minutes.

These will be hard to resist! And they're great to throw in a Tupperware bowl and take along with you for a quick high energy/protein snack on the go.

Naturally, desserts of this type, even though they're protein fortified, aren't meant to be consumed in copious quantities. They're more of an additional source of protein that will quell your sweet tooth without blowing your diet -- or your budget. By making your own "meal replacements" you'll be saving a ton of dough as well as making sure you like what you're eating.

Protein supplementation isn't doesn't have to be a financial back breaker and it doesn't have to be treated as if it's something mysterious and highly scientific. It's just food.

Closed Thread