It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2005, 10:18 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

justanothagirl HB User
knee hurts...can I still exercise?

I'm not sure since when it hurts and what's caused it. One thing that may have caused it is too much pressure by walking stairs etc. etc. etc.
Another thing that could have caused it is I fell of the elleptical on sunday and hit my shinbone under my knie (like the place I hit was 8 cms under the knee, but the bruising goes up to the bottom of the knee, but my entire knee hurts...but not like bruised cause the bruise hurts when i touch it while my knee hurts when i walk and move it (just a little bit but i can feel it constantly)). The first day I hit it it swoll like an entire cm up, and around it it went purple/blueish and now greenish. The size of the bruise is as large as a fist or something.
Anyway, I know not to run, no bicycling, no spinning, no stepping while my knee is hurting.
Though, can I use the elleptical/crosstrainer? Preferably without resistance I'm guessing to put less pressure on my knee. Will this be alright because I don't want any rest because I can't go to the gym tomorrow or the day after tomorrow. So it really sucks. Please answer quickly I have to decide within 30 minutes whether I go or rest. Why are knees always so hurtful............pffffffffffffffffffff ffffffffffffffft. Wish it would just become stronger. If I get a light workout, I should be fine right?

Old 01-13-2005, 12:14 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

ChappyBoy HB User
Re: knee hurts...can I still exercise?

Pain is your body way of saying stop- I would rest it

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2005, 02:50 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

justanothagirl HB User

Hmm well I went but took it easy. My knees didnt hurt while I was on the thing, but when I went off I could hardly walk without my knees hurting. And I got 2 hours of P.E. tomorrow. :s

Old 01-13-2005, 05:16 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

bluehen94 HB User

Please be careful when it comes to your knees. You sound young...so let me just say when I was younger I was pushing myself really hard to lose weight for my wedding. Doing 90 mins of hard cardio a day, 6 days a week, mostly running on a treadmill and stairmaster. My knees would be killing me, but I kept saying to myself, "no pain no gain!". I kept pushing myself and it got to the point where I couldn't walk without my knees caving in, I had to wear braces on my knees. I developed a condition called patella femoral syndrome, which was caused by all the stress I put on my knees through high impact cardio. I had to go into physical therapy for 3 months, then I developed on top of that something called a thickening plica, the doctor had to othroscopically shave down the build up under the knee cap. I was out of comission for 3 years through it all. I don't want to scare you, but when your young you think these things won't happen to you. If your in pain listen to your body...realize in the big picture missing 1 or 2 workouts in the long run won't hurt your fitness level or any goals you are trying to achieve. Take care!! Best of luck!!

Old 01-16-2005, 11:36 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

justanothagirl HB User

Oh wow, that sounds really bad. I'm sorry. Yeah, hmmm I do 6 days a week of cardio. But I go on the crosstrainer/elliptical. That's not so bad is it? When I run on the treadmill though, it seems way more intensive so I was planning on doing that more often but that kind of puts a lot of pressure on your knees right? I also do spinning twice a week....so is this really bad or do you think I can handle this? Are there any ways on supporting your knees like kneepads or anything? Thanks... I really don't want to mess up my knees but I really want to lose some weight.

Old 01-16-2005, 01:49 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

bluehen94 HB User

I know where your coming from. I have thay back and forth in my head every day. I want to exercise a lot, but then my knees hurt and I always think to myself, be careful, we don't want to have another incident. I would say 5 hrs of cardio a week should be the max no matter how you break it down into days. If you don't lose weight doing that then something else is wrong, maybe your diet. You shouldn't have to do more than that to lose weight. Yes, the elliptical is good, my knee surgoen said the treadmill is not, better to walk or run outside. I actually use the stairmaster and the bike. The stairmaster is good as long as you use it properly. The key is not to let your knee go over your toe. You should always be able to see your toes. As far as knee pads I used to wear them, but my doctor said take them off because they actually make your knees weaker. Your knee starts to rely on that support and then the muscles around the knee that support the knee get weaker and thus can cause injury not keeping the area strong. The best thing you can do to keep your knees strong, is weight train your legs. Do leg extension, leg press, inner and outer thighs, calves, etc the stronger you get all those muscles surrounding the knee the stronger the knee will be. Remember your knees have to last you your whole life so be careful, don't make my mistakes.

Old 01-16-2005, 01:58 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

justanothagirl HB User

Yeah I guess my legs are pretty strong. I recently printed out this page: [url]http://www.workoutsforwomen.com/a022_strong_knees.asp[/url] do you think it's any good? I know knees are very vulnerable and get injured a lot so I'm really trying to prevent this from happening because lately I've been having pain in my knees occasionally. 5 hours of cardio...hmmmm.... Does P.E. (easy aerobics/tae bo...etc) count? I think I get around 5 to 6 hours of cardio a week. I don't count bicycling to school, gym, wherever. So is there any way in decreasing pressure on knees on the crosstrainer? Like bending your knees or stretching them or bouncing or staying on one line I don't know? I think spinning puts much pressure on the knees, and so does steps but can I still do these things? Are they not so bad as running? Cause I really love doing them...Is endurance spinning better than strength then?

Old 01-17-2005, 12:37 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

bluehen94 HB User

I went to that website those exercises look good. Be careful, I don't think your allowed to post websites, the moderators could ban you from the boards. Be careful!! I don't know what your fitness goals are....I'm not saying you have to do 5 hrs of cardio a week, I'm just saying not more than that. I wouldn't count classes in that total. The only way to really decrease pressure on any cardio macines is keep your knees bent. Also I find it easier on the knees to lessen the resistance and do it faster. Putting resistance on an eliptical or a bike always bothers my knees so I just do it faster with less resistance. Stretching before and after will help too. I would say running is the worst. If you look on that website you sent me, there is an area in there that talks about why woman are very susceptible to knee injuries. Its very good, the pounding on the treadmill is really bad for knees especially in woman, it explains why at that website. You also might want to try something called arniflora. Its like a Gel it comes in a tube and you rub it on your knees or the injured area. Its about $10 a tube. Its good to use before and after workouts, it helps temporarily. You can get it at any vitamin shop type place.

Closed Thread