It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2005, 01:13 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

justanothagirl HB User
Question Couple of questions, new training schedule, want2lose fat, plz help

I was just wondering. If I do cardio for 60 minutes in the evening, shouldn't I be eating the 2 hours before for maximum fatburning? Because I am trying to lose fat (final 5 pounds...pfft so hard) but I usually eat like an hour, or an hour and a half before. Usually something that includes carbs such as fruits, complex carbs whatever. Because I read when you work out you need fuel, or you'll be burning muscle. I know I should exercise in the morning, but I only have time in the evening except for sunday.
If I do 5 hours of cardio a week, like wait here's my schedule:

Monday: Bodypump (50-60 mins, class, weights)
Elliptical (30 mins)
Tuesday: Steps (50-60 mins)
Wednesday and Thursday:1 of the days Spinning (45 mins), the other day elleptical (60 mins)
Friday: I got P.E. and currently we're doing aerobics so I don't think I have to go to the gym that day...do I? When we're starting to do other things like whatever basketbal or something that won't be intensive 40 mins elliptical
Saturday: REST
Sunday morning before breakfast: 50 mins elliptical (+ 15 mins bicycling towards gym + towards home)

And I want to be doing pilates on any of these days whenever I feel like it but not on Sunday, Monday or Tuesday.

How does this sound? Also I'm experiencing some slight occasional but yet consistant pain in my knees. Does this mean I have to stop doing steps and spinning? I love these workouts and they help me burn fat. Any tips on how to perform these things (like leaning on heels rather than toes) to minimize knee pressure? Thanks...

And do you reckon a 1200 -1500 zigzagging diet with 2000 kcal on Saturday will be enough for me since I work out? My diet ratios are: 30-40-30 (all good fats from nuts, olive oil, fish oil). And I get in my vitamins...I get in 500 mgs of calcium, and next to that take a 400 mg Calcium-supplement. I get in my vitamins from my diet but I like to use a half multi-vitamin a day to be sure. I've also reduced my sodium intake to an average of 2000 mgs a day and have an average of 3000 mgs potassium a day. Stats: female, 17, 5'2 ft, 115 lbs but I'm not really active and I sit at school a lot. I do bicycle for like 20 mins to and from school a day but that's not a lot lol.

Thanksss

Last edited by justanothagirl; 01-18-2005 at 01:26 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2005, 06:40 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User
Re: Couple of questions, new training schedule, want2lose fat, plz help

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanothagirl
I was just wondering. If I do cardio for 60 minutes in the evening, shouldn't I be eating the 2 hours before for maximum fatburning? Because I am trying to lose fat (final 5 pounds...pfft so hard) but I usually eat like an hour, or an hour and a half before. Usually something that includes carbs such as fruits, complex carbs whatever. Because I read when you work out you need fuel, or you'll be burning muscle. I know I should exercise in the morning, but I only have time in the evening except for sunday.
If I do 5 hours of cardio a week, like wait here's my schedule:

Monday: Bodypump (50-60 mins, class, weights)
Elliptical (30 mins)
Tuesday: Steps (50-60 mins)
Wednesday and Thursday:1 of the days Spinning (45 mins), the other day elleptical (60 mins)
Friday: I got P.E. and currently we're doing aerobics so I don't think I have to go to the gym that day...do I? When we're starting to do other things like whatever basketbal or something that won't be intensive 40 mins elliptical
Saturday: REST
Sunday morning before breakfast: 50 mins elliptical (+ 15 mins bicycling towards gym + towards home)

And I want to be doing pilates on any of these days whenever I feel like it but not on Sunday, Monday or Tuesday.

How does this sound? Also I'm experiencing some slight occasional but yet consistant pain in my knees. Does this mean I have to stop doing steps and spinning? I love these workouts and they help me burn fat. Any tips on how to perform these things (like leaning on heels rather than toes) to minimize knee pressure? Thanks...

And do you reckon a 1200 -1500 zigzagging diet with 2000 kcal on Saturday will be enough for me since I work out? My diet ratios are: 30-40-30 (all good fats from nuts, olive oil, fish oil). And I get in my vitamins...I get in 500 mgs of calcium, and next to that take a 400 mg Calcium-supplement. I get in my vitamins from my diet but I like to use a half multi-vitamin a day to be sure. I've also reduced my sodium intake to an average of 2000 mgs a day and have an average of 3000 mgs potassium a day. Stats: female, 17, 5'2 ft, 115 lbs but I'm not really active and I sit at school a lot. I do bicycle for like 20 mins to and from school a day but that's not a lot lol.

Thanksss
If your knees hurt then yes, I would stay away from stepping, spinning and the eliptical. Maybe you can walk on the treadmill for a change and add some weight training to your routine, I only see it once on Monday I think(weight training), unless I'm reading it wrong. About the zigzagging, I'm not sure but it seems to work for you. I thought about trying this to lose my last 5 pounds for the summer, but I'm okay with them right now but that's another story. I usually eat one cheat meal a week, and one cheat dessert a week but this zig zagging thing is new and like I said, I think I'm going to try it for the summer. I think Jake in "Body For Life" advocates the zig zag approach and Naxis knows a great deal about it. We'll see what she says.

Old 01-18-2005, 06:45 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

justanothagirl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessicca
If your knees hurt then yes, I would stay away from stepping, spinning and the eliptical. Maybe you can walk on the treadmill for a change and add some weight training to your routine, I only see it once on Monday I think(weight training), unless I'm reading it wrong. About the zigzagging, I'm not sure but it seems to work for you. I thought about trying this to lose my last 5 pounds for the summer, but I'm okay with them right now but that's another story. I usually eat one cheat meal a week, and one cheat dessert a week but this zig zagging thing is new and like I said, I think I'm going to try it for the summer. I think Jake in "Body For Life" advocates the zig zag approach and Naxis knows a great deal about it. We'll see what she says.
Even the elliptical? But it puts less pressure on my knees than the treadmill. I really want to do steps tonight ill put all the weight on my heels and wont stand on my toes. Any other things I can do? Tomorrow I'll do the elliptical instead of spinning, to give my knees some rest. Thursday as well. Yes I have weight training on monday. But I'm going to be doing pilates too one day so that's sort of strength-training. Muscle maintainance anyway, the little muscles matter 2. And I dont wanna bulk up. I am pretty muscular right now (with fat on top). I mean yeah my arms are strong I got abs strong legs etc. I think one day of weight training is enough for me. Thanks for your help.
You should definitely try zigzagging I think its a very good approach.

Last edited by justanothagirl; 01-18-2005 at 06:46 AM.

Old 01-18-2005, 06:56 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanothagirl
Even the elliptical? But it puts less pressure on my knees than the treadmill. I really want to do steps tonight ill put all the weight on my heels and wont stand on my toes. Any other things I can do? Tomorrow I'll do the elliptical instead of spinning, to give my knees some rest. Thursday as well. Yes I have weight training on monday. But I'm going to be doing pilates too one day so that's sort of strength-training. Muscle maintainance anyway, the little muscles matter 2. And I dont wanna bulk up. I am pretty muscular right now (with fat on top). I mean yeah my arms are strong I got abs strong legs etc. I think one day of weight training is enough for me. Thanks for your help.
You should definitely try zigzagging I think its a very good approach.
Oh, sorry, I thought the elliptical puts pressure on the knees. When my knee started to hurt, I just did regular floor aerobics and more strength and it got better in about 5 days. Sometimes they just need a little rest. Your right, pilates is strength training too, and it's a good choice.

Old 01-18-2005, 07:02 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

justanothagirl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessicca
Oh, sorry, I thought the elliptical puts pressure on the knees. When my knee started to hurt, I just did regular floor aerobics and more strength and it got better in about 5 days. Sometimes they just need a little rest. Your right, pilates is strength training too, and it's a good choice.
Okay, cool. Well I'll give my knees some rest starting tomorrow till next tuesday. (steps is only on tuesday evening, so yeah...)
I can live without spinning but I really need my steps lol. Besides, the day after steps my knees never hurt. But the rest of my legs (muscles) really do! So thats okay. When my knee pain is entirely over I'll start spinning again.

Old 01-18-2005, 01:54 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

justanothagirl HB User
Re: Couple of questions... new training schedule

****. I ate a lot of salt today. Like 3000-4000 mgs. Is this gonna make me fat? I mean, I go day by day. So have I not lost weight because of the salt today?:s Hmpf...no more salt.

Old 01-18-2005, 02:10 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

Salt will not make you fat. It might cause temporary bloating - water retention-, but if you drink a lot of water, you can flush that out. Stop going "day by day". That is going to set you up for failure every time. You need to look at your progress weekly, or even bi/tri-weekly. If you stay focused for the whole of that week or two, you'll be so surprised at the real progress you can make. Daily changes in actual fat loss are small and hard to notice, but *weight* changes (water retention) can go up and down easily and make you discouraged, so please reconsider your gauge of progress.

Old 01-18-2005, 02:31 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

justanothagirl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naxis
Salt will not make you fat. It might cause temporary bloating - water retention-, but if you drink a lot of water, you can flush that out. Stop going "day by day". That is going to set you up for failure every time. You need to look at your progress weekly, or even bi/tri-weekly. If you stay focused for the whole of that week or two, you'll be so surprised at the real progress you can make. Daily changes in actual fat loss are small and hard to notice, but *weight* changes (water retention) can go up and down easily and make you discouraged, so please reconsider your gauge of progress.
Oh yes. I do that too. I mean I go day by day. Every day has to go right. But then I keep a diary and I compare now with like 2 weeks ago if you get what I mean. So what do you think of my training schedule and diet?

Old 01-18-2005, 05:06 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

bluehen94 HB User

Well, I'm not naxis, but I think you need to add a little bit more weight training into your schedule. I see you take some sort of a body pump class, but I think you need to focus on building some lean muscle this will help you lose the fat you want to and shake up your routine a bit. If you've been doing the workout schedule you posted for a while your body will adapt. I give you credit for your efforts, at 17 exercise was not even a thought in my mind.

Old 01-18-2005, 06:32 PM   #10
(female)

lazedays HB User

the knee pain doesn't sound right since you're so young and seem to be quite healthy. when you spin, you should always dig through your heels. As my old instructer said, let your legs and butt do the work. by digging in with your heels you are making a fuller rotation, that makes your quads and hams kick in.

dumb ? what type of shoes are you wearing? they make all the difference. like when i was in the treadmill, my cross trainers made my feet fall asleep, so i had to wear runners. but cross trainers were better for spinning, not so heavey in the toe, so i was less likely to lead into the rotation toe first.

oh, before cardio, about 1 hour before, eat about 150 cal of carbs and protien together. post, eat another 150 cal of the same. for instance, half a snack bar before, and half after. or a turkey sand. with lettuce and tom. half before, half after. you will have excellent energy, and yes, you will still have maximum burn

Old 01-19-2005, 05:03 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

justanothagirl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluehen94
Well, I'm not naxis, but I think you need to add a little bit more weight training into your schedule. I see you take some sort of a body pump class, but I think you need to focus on building some lean muscle this will help you lose the fat you want to and shake up your routine a bit. If you've been doing the workout schedule you posted for a while your body will adapt. I give you credit for your efforts, at 17 exercise was not even a thought in my mind.
Hmmm yes so my body will adapt hmm... Well I'll try to mix my schedule up a bit then? About more weightlifting. As I said... I dont want to bulk up. :s I mean...I think 1 class of bodypump a week made me pretty big already. Is this, and one hour of pilates not enough for me to maintain my muscle? I also do some crunches, leg-lifts, whatever while I'm watching tv sometimes lol. So thats sorta strength training.
Thanks thats really nice... My parents are very supportive they pay for my gym membership and let me buy expensive healthy foods lol. My sister used to exercise like 15 hours a week. Not to lose weight obviously she was built athletically. But she encourages me too into exercising.

Last edited by justanothagirl; 01-19-2005 at 05:04 AM.

Old 01-19-2005, 05:07 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

justanothagirl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazedays
the knee pain doesn't sound right since you're so young and seem to be quite healthy. when you spin, you should always dig through your heels. As my old instructer said, let your legs and butt do the work. by digging in with your heels you are making a fuller rotation, that makes your quads and hams kick in.

dumb ? what type of shoes are you wearing? they make all the difference. like when i was in the treadmill, my cross trainers made my feet fall asleep, so i had to wear runners. but cross trainers were better for spinning, not so heavey in the toe, so i was less likely to lead into the rotation toe first.

oh, before cardio, about 1 hour before, eat about 150 cal of carbs and protien together. post, eat another 150 cal of the same. for instance, half a snack bar before, and half after. or a turkey sand. with lettuce and tom. half before, half after. you will have excellent energy, and yes, you will still have maximum burn
Hmm...I know. I'm gonna stop wearing high heels they only put pressure on them dont they? Okay so when I'm spinning ill make sure I do that thanks. Well...my shoes. Theyre like 2 years old. But good sports shoes are so expensive and my mom doesnt want to buy me any new ones untill the old ones are completely worn out. I don't know...they're aerobic type of shoes. You know, the black colored ones. Thanks for the tip on what to eat before and after my work outs.

Old 01-19-2005, 07:01 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

bluehen94 HB User

Its a myth that you will bulk up by doing weights. Women do not have enough testosterone to get big like men do, thats why we will just tone. Research it on the internet, that's one of the oldest myths. It is important to weight train to keep your muscles strong, you will appreciate it 10-15 years from now that you started so young. You said your sister is an athlete...then I'm sure she can tell you how important it is to incorporate some weight training into your routine. About 30 mins 3x a week, making sure you work all the muscles. The exercises you do at home are just OK, they don't really challenge the muscle. When you lift a weight you want to be able to do no more than 15 reps and that last rep should be a huge struggle. Just be careful with that knee and make sure you get a supportive sneaker for your next pair. New Balance, Asics make some good ones with support. I don't know if you have flat feet, but that also contributes to the knee pain if you are not wearing a proper sneaker.

Old 01-19-2005, 08:00 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

justanothagirl HB User

lol Well she didnt do weighttraining. She did sports. Gymnastics (especially, 7 hours a week), badminton, martial arts, swimming. But I think thats where she gained her muscle from. Because she is pretty muscular. But I do 60 mins once a week... I mean, if I see these weights are helping me now and I'm not like losing muscle. And besides, cardio training does train some muscle dont it? Like from steps last night my *** hurts lol. Anyway. Thanks. I know this girl though who is really muscular. Its really not pretty. She looks manly and the way she walks is like she's not flexible at all. :s Really dont want to end up like that.

Old 01-19-2005, 09:04 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

justanothagirl HB User

Naxis do you think my diet and training schedule are good enough to lose this stubborn weight? Do they need improvement?

Closed Thread