It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2005, 12:11 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Howitt44 HB User
Heart Rate and Fitness

I am overweight and relatively new to the work-out world. I've worked out sporadically over the years , but now I am determined to be consistent. I think that is really the only way to see results. My question is my heart rate. I can walk on the treadmill at 3.5 miles per hour and my heart rate will go up to 140 bpm if I swing my arms and go down to 125 or so if I hold on. I've been told that at my age my heart rate should stay around 130 and 140. I get real discouraged thinking why are other people able to jog and still not get their heart rate up? Well, I know its because they are in shape and I'm not. But is my case common for someone overweight and out of shape? I have people tell me , you need to incline or jog, but shouldn't I work out at my target heart rate and not worrry so much about what I'm doing as long as I keep my heart rate up there for at least 30 minutes? I've been going everyday. I walk for 30 minutes and keep my heart rate at 140. Then I lift weights which also keeps my heart rate up. So my total time at the gym is about 50 minutes all the while keeping my heart at 140 bpm. I hope in time my heart rate will come down and I can do more. Thanks for any suggestions.
Cindy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-23-2005, 01:40 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

ChappyBoy HB User
Re: Heart Rate and Fitness

yes, you dont get out of shape overnight and you don't get in shape over night. Sounds like you have a good grasp on a program, now just stick with it - don't worry about what anybody else is doing and before you know it you will be running to get to that 140 mark! Stay the course and you'll see great results.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-23-2005, 02:01 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Howitt44 HB User
Re: Heart Rate and Fitness

Thanks for the encouragement!

Closed Thread