It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2005, 04:58 AM   #1

sleeper43 HB User
Will this combination of supplements work??? I hope so!!!!

3 Different weight loss supplements that have 3 completely different functions. I am buying a month supply of all 3 as the dealer said they are safe to use together. Its gonna cost me about $40 for the one month supply, on the bright side though, I get a free bottle of the 2nd supplement, and if it works, I won't have to order it in month #2 of my diet.

Supplement #1
Hoodia Gordonii
This is supposed to be the ultimate appetite suppressant. The ingredients for this are
Chromimum Polynicotinate (insulin regulator, aids metabolism, lowers cholesteral),
Guarna seed (energy booster),
Gymnema Sylvestris (regulates blood sugar),
Hoodia Gordonii (the appetite suppressant).

Supplement #2
Carbozyne
This is a fat blocker and a carb blocker all in one, or so it says. That means you can eat some of the bad stuff and it will pass right through you without being absorbed. Its ingredients are
Phaseolous Vulgaris extract (a starch blocker),
Gymnema Sylvestris (a sugar regulator-ballance blood sugar and curb cravings),
Chitosan (the shellfish extract that bonds to fat).
-- I get a free bottle of this stuff.

Supplement #3
Metabo Extreme
This is a thermogenic fat burner. It contains
Guarana (natural caffeine, boosts energy level),
Bee Pollen (boost energy and stamina),
Ginseng root (increase energy levels and reduce appetite),
Lecithin (combination of 2 B vitamins that regulate protein and fat metabolism),
Damiana leaf (A natural lift-me-up),
Sarsparilla root (increase metabolic rate and hormone production, energy booster),
Golden Seal aerial part (herbal detoxifier),
Nettles leaf (Increases metabolic rate),
Gotu Kola aerial part (herbal energy booster, enhances metabolism of carbs and fat),
Gymnema Sylvestre aerial part (sugar killer)

I figure if these supplements do half of what they promise, weight loss shouldn't be as hard as it seems to be.

I will be taking these along with my multivitamin, cranberry pills, and garlic pills. I had some concerns over diabetic issues with this combination since they all have ingredients to regulate blood sugar, the dealer said it couldn't make me diabetic and not to worry.

Sorry about the extremely long post, but I wanted to give all the info possible hoping to get some good feedback, whether it be positive or negative feedback.

What does everyone think? Will it work?

I will keep you updated.

Last edited by sleeper43; 03-07-2005 at 06:15 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2005, 05:56 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

bluehen94 HB User
Re: Will this combination of supplements work??? I hope so!!!!

I know your not suppose to post the same thing twice, but I honestly think the veterans on the exercise board would better answer this. There are a few certified exercise physiologists there that I'm sure would be more familar with these supplements. My philosophy is if it seems to good to be true it probably isn't.

Old 03-07-2005, 08:00 AM   #3

sleeper43 HB User

Well, I was hoping for a little information and feedback before I went ahead and placed the order.

No such luck I guess, I just placed the order.

I will let everyone know how I progress.

Please post any successes or failiurs any of you have had with these problems, I would love to know as much about them as possible.

Old 03-07-2005, 02:01 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

#1: it's okay, but expensive and not as effective as the claims tout. I got some and tried it just to see if it actually did anything but I didn't really notice any difference at all. Maybe at a higher than recommended dosage or in raw form it's better, but I think the supplement is basically useless.

#2: carb/fat blockers are basically blatant lies. The few medical studies performed on these show through analysis of input and output of fat/carb, noting passes undigested.

#3 The caffeine is the main ingredient here and the only thermogenic. The rest plays minor supporting roles. It's unfortunate, but there are no magic pills to make you lose fat faster. They may make you fuller If you are eating CLEAN and EXERCISING, they may provide a small push along the way, but please, please, please don't think that you can continue to eat crap and these supplements will magic away the effects.

Old 03-07-2005, 05:44 PM   #5

sleeper43 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naxis
Maybe at a higher than recommended dosage or in raw form it's better, but I think the supplement is basically useless.
The one I ordered has 500mg of hoodia per serving. Is that a significant amount?

Also, as far as continueing to eat crap... I am hoping these appetite suppressants help out with that.

Last edited by sleeper43; 03-07-2005 at 06:17 PM.

Old 03-07-2005, 10:19 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

The bottle I have has 200mg per cap and the "serving size" is 2 caps, so.. I don't know. You'll have to see.

Old 03-08-2005, 02:33 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

ChappyBoy HB User

I have to agree with Nax and if you are a coffee drinker, you probably wont even notice the caffeine on the third stack. Invest in a good multi-vitamin and mineral and a diet that has been put together by a RD or a nutritionist.

Old 03-09-2005, 05:31 PM   #8

sleeper43 HB User

no more feedback from anyone here?

Old 03-09-2005, 07:30 PM   #9

phillydude HB User

I'm just anxious to see if you get any results...

I don't know about any of the specific products you mentioned.

Old 03-10-2005, 06:08 AM   #10

sleeper43 HB User

Well, just to update, I have been dieting since Monday night, and I have lost one whole pound. But this is without the supplements. They should be here any day. I will update you again after a week taking the suplements, keep your fingers crossed for me.

Old 03-10-2005, 06:46 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

ChappyBoy HB User

I'm gonna go out on a limb here. If this stuff really worked don't you think this would be the hottest selling product on the market, TV reports would be doing reports, studies would be cited, Giambi would give up roids and take this stuff? Not to mention, Merck, Pfizer and the Pharms would be doing whatever they could to get this stuff labeled a drug so they could reap billions off it?

But hey I tend to be a cynic ( in the 80's I actually fell for the cybergenics crap)

Old 03-10-2005, 08:54 AM   #12

phillydude HB User

I'm with you Chaps... it's probably nothing which will change the world. On the other hand, who's to say that if the person taking ANY kind of supplement gets the "psychological" benefits of the product, is it worth the price (unless it is truly a harmful substance).

Take the "fat burner" category of supplements. If everything was equal except for the addition of this supplement to the nutrition mix, and the subject did not lose any additional fat, you might consider this a failed experiment. But in a typical person, the act of taking the supplement is USUALLY done in combination with other changes: in the case of the original poster, they have already started a "diet" which will affect the results.

So lets's say Subject X loses one pound in the first week of their "diet." During the second week, they start the supplement and continue the diet, and they lose two pounds that week. It could be argued that the supplement was responsible for 50% of the weight loss, but we know that might not be true. Subject X probably lost the two pounds PRIMARILY because of the "diet." But psychologically, the subject BELIEVES that the supplement is helping the effort, so they continue to take it and continue to see results. And as they see progress, other behaviors will change which will again modify the source of the results. And so on... and so on... and so on.

Of course, NO supplement of this type will do anything if there are not other changes made in the lifestyle. Consuming more calories than you expend will put on weight no matter what the "miracle" pill claims. If science could find that pill... everything you said about it's marketing and profit margin would be true. But I don't have a problem with these other supplements if their "mental" value is worth the price of the pill.

Old 03-10-2005, 09:02 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

ChappyBoy HB User

Hey philly-

My problem is with the supplement companies, they prey off the uninformed masses. These companies are vulchers and it makes me sick. One of the largest out there, no names mentioned - the owner started off as a steroid dealer and made the switch to legal supplements. I think he was more honest as a drug dealer!

I do agree with you about the psycosomatic aspects of the products but I hate to see unethical companies profit. ( Now if I could get a piece of the action that would be different) .... Kidding!

Old 03-10-2005, 10:56 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

The worst is that they propagate the public's desire to continue to eat like your average American, but look like your average fitness model. Even in the ads, they have to include that "with a sensible diet and exercise program" you too can lose weight, but it's a hushed side note while they pretend to be so amazed at the miracles the supplement performs. At its worst, it holds up that hope that others have done it and when you fail, there must be something wrong with you. No wonder so many people erroneously blame their lack of success on "slow metabolism", "thyroid problems", and "body type". It's sad.

Old 03-10-2005, 02:20 PM   #15
(male)

DMN HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naxis
The worst is that they propagate the public's desire to continue to eat like your average American, but look like your average fitness model. Even in the ads, they have to include that "with a sensible diet and exercise program" you too can lose weight, but it's a hushed side note while they pretend to be so amazed at the miracles the supplement performs. At its worst, it holds up that hope that others have done it and when you fail, there must be something wrong with you. No wonder so many people erroneously blame their lack of success on "slow metabolism", "thyroid problems", and "body type". It's sad.
But......it's not just the supplement companies. Check out some of the infomercials for exercise equipment like the "cardio Cruiser", "Ab Lounge", and many of the others. "You can have a body like this with only 20 minutes a day, three days a week!!!" Then, they put the caviate in there about their "diet" plan. Marketing people. Marketing. The one I really love is the "Six Second Abs". Hehehehehe. "I CAN REALLY FEEL THE BURN MAN!!!!"

--
John

Closed Thread