It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2005, 11:18 AM   #1
(female)

Greenteaeffect HB User
Exercise? What's that?

I'm a seventeen year old female. I had a moderately active childhood, but I've become very idle in the past several years (since 13 or so). I think the main reason why this has happened to me is because of stresses from other aspects of life (school, family problems) and the fact that, well, I have a pretty "ideal" body type. In fact, I haven't gained any weight since I was 13. In short, I'm rail thin. I'm not complaining. I'm very happy with the way that I am, but I would like to be more in shape and maybe have some defined body parts (I don't show my arms or legs ever).

I've always wanted to be a runner. For the past two days, I've been walking around my neighborhood (roughly 1.5 miles). It takes me about 25 minutes, but at least I'm walking. But I am very sore in odd places. Like the top part of my ankle (that faces the tongue of my shoes). I usually wear high heels, so I think it could be because I'm not used to walking flat footed? Is this normal? And the area of my leg from the back of my knee to my thigh. Am I walking "wrong"? Is there anything I can do to alleviate this?

Is walking like this even going to do anything for me? My family is not very active with fitness so I don't really have a role model, so to speak, to base anything off of. I don't even know where to go from here, other than the fact that I'm actually moving my body. Haha.

Advice?

Old 03-13-2005, 08:55 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User
Re: Exercise? What's that?

It's a great start. Anything is better than nothing. A little soreness is not unusual but get a good pair of running shoes for good support and cushioning. It may take a few weeks for the soreness to stop, but it will dissipate as you get more conditioned.
If you want to tone your body, you need to work all of your muscles. Resistance bands are great to start. They take up almost no space, they're fairly easy to use, and you can actually get a full body workout with them at home. Or the obvious gym membership if you'd prefer.
In addition, adding some more protein to your diet will help you maintain lean muscle mass so you can look more toned, less skinny... if this is something you're going for. Hope that's helpful.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread