It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2005, 08:52 AM   #1
(male)

November HB User
checking bodyfat....lowering bodyfat

At the gym I go to I can have my bodyfat checked. I'm considering doing this, hopefully sans seeing the results, heh. I already know it's higher than it should be. So I would like to bring it to a better level. I know cardio helps you burn fat. Can anyone inform me on the deal with BPM. If your heart rate is too high, around 180, then you're just burning calories, building endurance and not necessarily burning fat? But if you keep it in a low range(130-140) you're burning fat and calories. This was explained to me by a friend. But it doesn't make much sense to me. Thank you in advance.

Nic
-ciao

Old 03-14-2005, 10:37 AM   #2

Jimmy King HB User
Re: checking bodyfat....lowering bodyfat

When you run your body has to get energy from somewhere, right? It can be fat, muscle, glycogen, etc. The general concensus is that steady cardio at about 60%-70% of your max heart rate (I think that number is right) causes your body to get most of the calories it needs during exercise from fat rather than other sources. This causes greater overall fat loss for some people, which is what you're really looking to lose when you try to lose weight. As with most everything involved with exercise I would recommend doing some more reading on this and experimenting for yourself, though, as everyone's body works a bit differently. In my reading up on this stuff some people see better results from going all out as that can help to build some muscle, which causes longer term calorie use after working out or just due to using more calories in total to go all out, causing an overall greater caloric deficit.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2005, 12:20 PM   #3
(male)

November HB User

I know that I do not do enough cardio to see a significant change, but, as well, I do weight training. I have noticed a difference in overall size of my muslces and I know I'm slimming down some. Obviously, that will not get rid of it all....meaning I need to increase my cardio. When I workout I play basketball for roughly 45 to an hour, it's not constant running though; and upstairs with my roommate we hit a tough 5 straight minutes, heh. I'm going to step it up, because I don't feel as relieved as I would like to. But I guess I should do around 15 to 30 for some decent results?

Old 03-14-2005, 12:40 PM   #4

Jimmy King HB User

Yeah, the general rule is 20-30 minutes per day of straight, close to non-stop, cardio and for most people, no more than an hour or so. At about an hour of hard physical activity your body starts to go nuts with the cortisol release which causes you to retain and gain fat. Again, experiment and find what works best for you. Anything you read on the web is at best a general guideline for what seems to be the case in the majority of people and there are very few hard and fast rules for "this will work everyone and this will not work for anyone" once you start getting down to specifics of exact amount of time, time of day, exact calories, etc.

Closed Thread