It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2005, 04:17 PM   #1

rdj2006 HB User
Workout suggestions needed!!

Chest press 3x10 of 180lbs
Pull Bar 2x30 of 40lbs
45 degree row 3x10 of 100lbs
Dead lift
Curls 1x30 of 15lbs
Curl bar
Arm extension 3x10 of 105bs
Triceps 3x10 of 40lbs
Military Press
Lat Pull 3x10 of 100lbs
Shrugs 3x10 of 30lbs

That is my workout now, week 6. I do all of those mon, tues, thurs, and friday. Any suggestions? I ask, because I started with a bunch of buddies of mine and im not progressing as fast as i hoped. Help, please

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2005, 08:08 PM   #2

phillydude HB User
Re: Workout suggestions needed!!

Split your workout into two sessions... if you are training all of these body parts on back to back days, taking one day off, and then training them all again back to back, you aren't giving your muscles time to recover and grow.

Also, try decreasing the reps on your curls and upping the weight significantly. I'm curious how you are lifting 180 on the bench press and only 100 on the lat pulldown? I'm pretty much even on both exercises... actually a little heavier with the lats then with the chest. Finally, you seem a little light on the shrugs... and I'm not seeing a lot of leg work in there.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2005, 02:06 PM   #3

rdj2006 HB User

I was thinking I need to do something with my curls. How about going to 3x10 of 20-25lbs? Also, that 180 is chest press, not bench press. I dont bench actually at all. Should I? As regards to the shrugs, I was doing them yesterday and the owner came up to me and told me I was doing them wrong, and showed me how to do it and said I should drop my weight first so I get the motion down.

So, my optons are going to an arms and shoulders 2 days and chest and back another, or I can do the same thing except do legs Tues and Thurs. If I choose the second one, would I be able to curl everyday or what?

Old 03-15-2005, 10:16 PM   #4

phillydude HB User

I'm doing chest, back, and shoulders on Monday and Thursday, and biceps, triceps, and abs on Tuesday and Friday. I'm riding a bike or running just about every day, so I'm not doing any "formal" leg work. It works well for me, but your needs will be different.

Old 03-15-2005, 11:42 PM   #5
(male)

The Len HB User

What I do is chest and back on Mon and Thurs
biceps and triceps on Tues and Fri
shoulders and legs on Wed and Sat

Everyday I do the following:
I end every session with a half hour ab workout
I do a half hour of treadmill going 5 miles an hour
I also try to fit in a good forearm workout and some stretching

I try to eat 4 to 5 small meals a day. Example would be

10 am - 5 egg whites and one whole egg. Either hard boiled or scrambled using Pam. I would eat this with two slices of whole wheat bread and one banana. No toppings. Supplement with an 8 oz. cup of green tea and one B complex and fish oil tablet.

12:30 pm - Protein shake made from 8 oz of skim milk and 1 heaping scoop of Designer Protein. With this I would have one medium sized sweet potato and a cup or two of steamed broccoli. Washed down with a cup of green tea.

3 pm - grilled skinless chicken breast with plain brown rice and garbanzo bean mix. I eat this with a big salad that consists of collard greens, kale, spinach, carrots, one tomato, and some blueberries.

5:30 - turkey sandwich made from Healthy Choice turkey cold cuts, whole wheat bread, one slice of fat free cheese, and a green leaf lettuce leaf. I would eat an apple and a carrot stick with this.

8 pm - one cup of Roobios tea, 5 egg whites and one whole egg like in the first meal. 1 cup of Kaishi Heart to heart cereal, and some strawberries.

Anyways this is a typical set up that I do.

Old 03-16-2005, 08:19 AM   #6

rdj2006 HB User

That sounds like a really strict health plan. See, I am 17 and I cant eat 5 small meals a day. Plus, you workout looks like it takes longer than mine can.

Philly dude, I might roll with yours a while. You only do curls and stuff twice a week? What other exercises are there for biceps and triceps?

Old 03-16-2005, 03:53 PM   #7

phillydude HB User

I do two exercises per body part... one exercise for biceps and one exercise for triceps on "Strive" machines... the bicep machine replicates a preacher curl, and the tricep machine pretty much does the reverse motion of that exercise (pushing the weight rather than pulling it). Three sets with the same weight, setting the machine to focus the exertion throughout the range, then focus on the end of the range, then finally on the beginning of the range. After that, I do "concentration" curls for the biceps with dumbbells, and then tricep pushdowns using the lat pulldown machine.

Old 03-16-2005, 08:20 PM   #8

rdj2006 HB User

What is a strive machine? and a preacher curl? Sorry for my ignorance. Tomorow I am going to try out a new thing, hopefully I can get something down. I wana have noticeable biceps real bad

Old 03-16-2005, 08:59 PM   #9

rdj2006 HB User

Also, does this workout work well philly dude? I am looking to have toned arms along with strength. What are you going for?

Old 03-17-2005, 06:06 AM   #10

phillydude HB User

A preacher curl is a curl done with a barbell or a curl bar, where you are seated in front of a slanted pad that supports your upper arms from your armpits to your elbows. Strive is a manufacturer of those weight training machines using a weight stack and mechanical pulleys to replicate the motion of free weights.

If you are really wanting to build your arms, I would recommend adding a third exercise for the biceps and triceps to each workout. For the biceps, perhaps seated dumbbell curls or standing curl bar curls? For the triceps, maybe "skull crushers" with a curl bar or an overhead press using a dumbbell.

Check the web... there are a few good sites which show you how to do all kinds of exercises. Or ask Chappy... he's the weight training guru on here.

As far as my goals, I'm building a toned and muscular body, similar to a runner or cyclist in terms of body type, but with the kind of definition and muscle structure you typically see on basketball players. I want to be able to take my shirt off and look "good," not like "Wow, that guy must be a bodybuilder," but more like "Wow that guy is in great shape."

I'm happy with my progress so far, but I have to say that DIET actually plays a much bigger role in the process than exercise does. You have to be pretty lean to see the muscles... for example, when I flex my arms, I can really feel that the muscles are there... hard and definitely bigger than they were before... but I still can't really SEE them yet... I've still got too much body fat for them to really pop out and say "Look to these arms Louie."

Old 03-17-2005, 06:25 AM   #11

rdj2006 HB User

Alright, thanks a lot. I am a skinny guy, about 6'1 180 lbs. And of course, all my stuffing is in my *** and stomach, but its not overfflowing. My arms are skinny, and are toning slowly, but I heard it was good to switch up workouts every 6 weeks. Plus, mine right now is no good. The way Im looking at it now, I have 5 exercises for chest, shoulders, and back and 5 for triceps and biceps day. I dont know if I should throw some legs in or find more exercises for the category it is

Old 03-17-2005, 11:13 AM   #12

phillydude HB User

If you want to do legs and are using my splits as a guide, I'd put them in on Wednesdays as follows:

Monday - Biceps, Triceps, Abs
Tuesday - Chest, Back, Shoulders
Wednesday - Legs, Abs
Thursday - Chest, Back, Shoulders
Friday - Biceps, Triceps, Abs

Try to do two exercises for Chest, Back, and Shoulders on Tuesday and Thursday (and bump your weights up on Thursdays).

Try to do three exercises for Biceps/Triceps on Monday and Friday (and bump your weights up on Mondays).

Try to do four exercises each session for Abs (Crunches, Leg Lifts, Obliques, and another of your choice). And five exercises on Wednesday for Legs (Squats, Seated Leg Press, Leg Extension, Leg Curls, and Calf Raises)

Old 03-17-2005, 05:23 PM   #13

rdj2006 HB User

Is there a reason you bump the weights up on a certain day? Also, why split the arms days so far apart?

Closed Thread