It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2005, 02:40 PM   #1
DMN DMN is offline
Registered User
(male)
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Florida
Posts: 172
DMN HB User
New Ab Exercise I'm Thinking About

Before I start nailing 2X4s to my wall to build this piece of equipment, I would like to get your thoughts about this exercise....especially Chappy and Naxis. What do you two think about the "Captain's Chair" for an ab exercise? I have heard that of the total gamut of ab exercises that it ranks right up there in the top three with the reverse crunch and the bicycle. I plan on doing 3 sets of 15, 3 times per week with ankle weights, moving from 1 lb each ankle up to 10 lbs per ankle as my strenth develops.

Keep in mind that I am now a skinny middle aged guy who used to be fat.

So..........whatayathink??

Thanks.

I await your responses with breathless anticipation.

--
John

 
Old 03-16-2005, 11:31 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Northeast US
Posts: 675
ChappyBoy HB User
Re: New Ab Exercise I'm Thinking About

I am assuming that its the same as Roman Chair? My personal approach to abs has always been crunches and different variations on crunches. I think the chair can put great strain on the hips and may not isolate abs as effectively.

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 03-17-2005, 02:28 PM   #3
DMN DMN is offline
Registered User
(male)
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Florida
Posts: 172
DMN HB User
Re: New Ab Exercise I'm Thinking About

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChappyBoy
I am assuming that its the same as Roman Chair?
I believe that's another name for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChappyBoy
My personal approach to abs has always been crunches and different variations on crunches. I think the chair can put great strain on the hips and may not isolate abs as effectively.
Ok. I'll play with it for a few weeks and report back.

--
John

 
Old 03-17-2005, 06:58 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 294
phillydude HB User
Re: New Ab Exercise I'm Thinking About

Hmmm... I thought the Captain's Chair was where you start standing, support your weight on your elbows, and lift your legs by crunching your abs... and the Roman Chair was where you are lying face down bent over the apparatus and then lifting your upper body to parallel (as if you were arching your back)... also called a Back Extension? Am I wrong about these names? From your description of nailing some boards to a wall I'm thinking you are talking about the former and not the latter...
__________________
PhillyDude
from Philly, dude.

 
Old 03-18-2005, 02:07 AM   #5
DMN DMN is offline
Registered User
(male)
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Florida
Posts: 172
DMN HB User
Re: New Ab Exercise I'm Thinking About

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillydude
Hmmm... I thought the Captain's Chair was where you start standing, support your weight on your elbows, and lift your legs by crunching your abs... and the Roman Chair was where you are lying face down bent over the apparatus and then lifting your upper body to parallel (as if you were arching your back)... also called a Back Extension? Am I wrong about these names? From your description of nailing some boards to a wall I'm thinking you are talking about the former and not the latter...
Now that you mention it philly.......I believe you are correct. The Captain's Chair was originally done by supporting the body on the elbows between parallel bars. The body hung between the bars. Then the legs were slowly lifted to be parallel to the ground, and slowly dropping back to a perpindicular position. That would be one rep. To take some pressure off the lower back the exercise can be done without the legs completely extended. To increase the intensity of the exercise a weight can be held between the ankles, or ankle weights can be used.

BTW..........My abs are firing like I have never felt them before with this exercise. I bet I will be sore for the weekend.

--
John

 
Old 03-18-2005, 04:35 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 294
phillydude HB User
Re: New Ab Exercise I'm Thinking About

Yeah, I added those to my routine this week too... so that and the fact that the "regular" ab instructor at the gym returned from her maternity leave and basically ripped us up in class last night will have my midsection growling for the rest of the weekend. But that's what it's all about, right?
__________________
PhillyDude
from Philly, dude.

 
Old 03-18-2005, 10:39 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Northeast US
Posts: 675
ChappyBoy HB User
Re: New Ab Exercise I'm Thinking About

You know after 20 years and advanced degrees I would have heard of that but, I have never known that was called Captain's Chair. Now that I know- Yes, that is a good abdominal exercise.

 
Old 03-18-2005, 01:52 PM   #8
DMN DMN is offline
Registered User
(male)
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Florida
Posts: 172
DMN HB User
Re: New Ab Exercise I'm Thinking About

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillydude
Yeah, I added those to my routine this week too... so that and the fact that the "regular" ab instructor at the gym returned from her maternity leave and basically ripped us up in class last night will have my midsection growling for the rest of the weekend. But that's what it's all about, right?
Hehehehe. Yup...it sure is.

What I like about the exercise is the fact that you can add resistance. But I think that form is really important. If you find yourself rocking from the elbows then I think you can end up straining your back. I'm taking my last set of three very, very slow. Its killer! lol.

--
John

 
Old 03-18-2005, 02:02 PM   #9
DMN DMN is offline
Registered User
(male)
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Florida
Posts: 172
DMN HB User
Re: New Ab Exercise I'm Thinking About

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChappyBoy
You know after 20 years and advanced degrees I would have heard of that but, I have never known that was called Captain's Chair. Now that I know- Yes, that is a good abdominal exercise.
It used to be called, (and probably still is) the "Vertical Leg-Hip Raise". I guess it's one of those things that has been renamed over time. Something like "the Core" which I posted about a few days ago. Oh.....now I'm hearing that the abdominals are not just the "core" but also the "Powerhouse". What I know today is that they are the things that are sore the day after you do the Captain's Chair/Vertical Leg-Hip Raise.

--
John

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
good exercise? jma1024 Exercise & Fitness 3 04-19-2010 11:05 PM
Exercise?? lynn41 Fibromyalgia 6 04-25-2008 09:30 PM
Stepper---Bosu Exercise equipment question osteoblast Osteoporosis 18 03-11-2008 12:30 PM
Recovery and Exercise? Daniella28 Eating Disorder Recovery 8 03-09-2007 01:08 PM
Do i have exercise induced asthma??? me19875 Asthma 1 03-01-2007 04:20 AM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added








TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



diamond839 (17), janewhite1 (8), lenvegas (8), tjlhb (4), Titchou (3), bdrunner79 (3), sam 23 (3), Bexiesbruv (3), JohnR41 (3), james079 (3)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1166), MSJayhawk (1000), Apollo123 (898), Titchou (833), janewhite1 (823), Gabriel (758), ladybud (747), sammy64 (668), midwest1 (665), BlueSkies14 (610)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:18 PM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!