It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2005, 06:50 PM   #1
(male)

Spirit1971 HB User
Post Weight loss V. Fat loss v. Muscle loss

Hello all, I am a new member. My question is I read somewhere that if we don't eat enough food such as protein etc.. that when we exercise and/or work out that we can lose muscle instead of fat. My question is I exercise about 4-6 times a week plus I am also on Weight Watchers, which means I have a limited amount of food I can eat a day. I also take whey protein after I work out as well. So, here is the question, since I am on WW how can I eat enough food and still stay on the program without causing my body to burn muscle from lack of food or protein? Thanks in advance.

Old 03-16-2005, 06:46 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

DonutsNCoffee HB User
Re: Weight loss V. Fat loss v. Muscle loss

Exercise increases your body's protein requirements. If you don't take in enough protein or if you don't have it often enough, then yes you will lose muscle. Unlike fat, the body cannot store protein so you need to give your body a continuous supply. If your body doesn't get the protein often enough, it will break down muscle to get it. I generally try to eat protein every 3 waking hours and I eat the same amount of protein per meal.

As for whether the Weight Watchers plan gives you sufficient protein, only you can answer that by monitoring your lean body mass each week. Usually if a person is losing muscle, it's the result of not taking in enough calories, not taking in enough protein, or not eating it often enough. Personally, I would stop using the weight watchers plan. Any plan that doesn't take into account a person's body fat percentage and lean body mass is a bad plan. What you need to do is come up with a plan that suits you based on your goals, your body's requirements, and how it responds to exercise. Just base it on the principles that apply to everyone such as eating smaller more frequent meals, drinking lots of water, eating more protein, fiber, and complex carbs, less simple carbs and saturated fat, performing cardio and weight training, etc.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2005, 06:43 PM   #3
(male)

Spirit1971 HB User
Question Re: Weight loss V. Fat loss v. Muscle loss

I am taking some protein. After I get home from working out. I take a serving of whey protein. Then for dinner I do have some protein as well. I also before I go to bed. I have a Slim Fast drink which also has protein. So, I was wondering about how much protein should we take a day for normal weight loss/fat loss?

Old 03-17-2005, 12:36 PM   #4
(female)

missyaq HB User
Re: Weight loss V. Fat loss v. Muscle loss

You are supposed to have .8 g of protein a day per kg of your body weight. So take your weight in lbs if u don't know kg and divide it by 2.2 to get your weight in kg then mult by .8, and thats how many grams of protein a day you should be eating. If your working out pretty hard then eat a little more than that.

Closed Thread