It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2005, 08:24 PM   #1
(male)

CARFAN HB User
Mid 40's sedentary ... how to begin?

I'm in my mid 40's and haven't exercised in over 5 years. How do I begin a running/walking program?

How quickly should I advance?

Old 03-17-2005, 02:45 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

ChappyBoy HB User
Re: Mid 40's sedentary ... how to begin?

Start slow. I would suggest that you start out by walking a mile (or any given distance depending on your shape) Do this 5-6 times for the first week - second week walk a lap (.25 of a mile ) and then jog a lap. third week jog 2 laps wal one then jog one. after you actually jog the whole mile start adding a lap every week. Before you know it you'll be in the Boston marathon

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2005, 04:48 AM   #3

phillydude HB User
Re: Mid 40's sedentary ... how to begin?

Start by picking a goal. For example, say "I want to be able to run X miles in Y amount of time on Z date." Be realistic given your own assessment of where you are now. It might help to look for a "competitive" event like a 5K or 10K where you can commit yourself to reaching your goal on that date.

{removed}. I think a beginner program for the 5k (3 miles) assumes you can run about mile to start. If you can't run that far, give yourself four additional weeks to get to that point, doing like Chappy said: running a bit, then walking a bit... the important thing is to complete the distance. Or there's a walking program which will let you get to the 5K distance too.

Good luck with it... let me know if you need any help or advice. I've been where you are now... and I've come a long way in the past six months

Last edited by Administrator; 09-05-2010 at 10:49 PM. Reason: do not post search instructions to find websites

Closed Thread