HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Exercise & Fitness (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/exercise-fitness/)
-   -   Personal Grooming Question for Chappy (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/exercise-fitness/264419-personal-grooming-question-chappy.html)

phillydude 03-18-2005 04:46 AM

Personal Grooming Question for Chappy

Here's a rather awkward question, directed to ChappyBoy since he's a competitive bodybuilder and he would know such things.

I'm thinking about removing all my body hair at some point in the next few months. I was think about doing it in stages, starting with my legs (a lot of avid cyclists shave their legs, so it wouldn't be THAT much of a stretch to start) to avoid completely freaking myself out.

I'm wondering what the best way to handle "defurring" would be, however... something like Nair, or waxing, or a trimmer and electric razor, or shaving cream and a regular razor?

Also, what do you do about the less visible parts of your body, i.e. the underarms and the butt? Shave those too? How far in "advance" of a competition or photo shoot would the hair removal normally be done? I'm guessing I should do this before I start tanning... but since I'll probably start that four weeks out, how long does the hair removal process usually last before it needs to be "touched up"? Any other advice or tips for a first timer?

ChappyBoy 03-18-2005 05:28 AM

Re: Personal Grooming Question for Chappy

My first grooming question! I shave the bulk of the hair with an Oster head razor. This works on the entire body just be VERY careful around areas (how should I say) that are more sensitive then others. After that I use dove soap and a Mach three to remove the remaining. I have tried nair - led to rashes, waxing - Im just not that macho ( how do women do this) and it led to rashes.

You have to shave the underarms and butt- otherwise looks like you are in a mohair speedo! I used to stay shaved year round - now I shave 2-3 months out but, I would start shaving when tanning starts - you will actually tan better. And yes the first day is a little freaky but, you will save time when toweling off after a shower! Plan on shaving 1-2 times per week in the shower.

I do have one horror story of hitting a nipple with the Mach three. Now they come to a point!

As for tanning - try 2-3 coats protan and day of coat of Clinique face bronzer.

phillydude 03-18-2005 07:00 AM

Gotcha... shave the first pass with a clipper-type electric razor, then the second pass with a regular razor. Shave everywhere, then be ready to keep up the regimen once a week or so. Sounds simple enough... provided it doesn't freak the wife out too much. I'm fine with it, really I am. :rolleyes:

I'm going to go the tanning bed route for about a month to give myself a base... remember, I'm heading out on a cruise, so I'll be outside most of the day in the sun (with sunscreen of course). But I'll have a head start on everyone else for the summer! I'll end up looking like this guy! --> :cool:

ChappyBoy 03-18-2005 07:18 AM

You are going to be amazed at how much leaner you look de-furred!

Naxis 03-18-2005 08:19 AM

If you can stomach/afford it, go for waxing for as much as you can. Less maintenance during the vacation (for your wife's sake - stubble is worse than sandpaper). :)