It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2005, 09:32 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

frustrated35 HB User
Want to reduce body fat% quicker...how?

I've a few injuries and 1 knee surgery within the past 3 years, but managed to get in the gym once released. I started with a 39% BF w/ 87 lbs lean mass and weighed 145 lbs. Over the past 18 months, I slowly reduced my BF to 27% w/ lean mass of 98 lbs, but haven't lost a lot of weight. I am 5'5, 35 yrs old and weigh 138. I realize this is probably muscle weight, but want to make sure I continue to lose body fat. I've dropped 2 sizes, but have found that clothes are fitting a little different. Guess things being "lifted" have an effect on how everything fits. Please give me any advise on how to get the body fat % down to my goal of 22%. I'm on an 1700-1800 calorie/day meal plan and just booted up my protein last week. I didn't realize that I wasn't eating enough. I'm in the gym 3x/week resistance training and cardio (2 different effiptical machines) 5x/week. I don't eat sweets and have limited my alcohol intake to a cheat night on the weekend. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Last edited by frustrated35; 03-19-2005 at 12:22 PM. Reason: incorrect

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2005, 09:39 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

ChappyBoy HB User
Re: Want to reduce body fat% quicker...how?

Quote:
Originally Posted by frustrated35
I started with a 39% BF w/ 87% lean mass and weighed 145 lbs. Over the past 18 months, I slowly reduced my BF to 27% w/ lean mass of 98%, but haven't lost a lot of weight.

39% + 87% = 126%

27% + 98% = 125%

Am I to believe that you are 1 and 1/4 people? To lean out you may get that extra 1/4 person removed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2005, 09:43 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

frustrated35 HB User

Ok ChappyBoy, I am blonde, so you're going to have to explain that one...

Old 03-18-2005, 10:00 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

ChappyBoy HB User

If you are at 39% body fat you must be at 61% lean tissue. the total must equal 1.00 or you are actually larger than one person. Somewhere these numbers went funky. My guess is the lean mass is off. I highly doubt you have 98% lean mass. That would leave 2% body fat - just me being a smart a@%.

As far as your goals, looks like you are on track and getting good results. I would stay the course. Stick with what is working and be patient - you could tweak the diet to higher value foods (better carbs, protein, fats etc.) If you feel the results are too slow .

Old 03-18-2005, 11:53 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

frustrated35 HB User

Maybe I have the lean mass wrong, but I thought that's what they said which I do understand that it would be weird to have that much. I did look at the chart again just a second ago and 18 months ago it was 87 lean mass, 55 fat mass making it 39% body fat. Now I'm at 98 lean mass, 38 fat mass making it 27% body fat. Hopefully I'm understanding this better and thanks for the advise to tweak the diet. I've added protein to every meal like egg whites in the am, tuna at lunch with my salad or sandwich. Can't wait for my next weigh in.

Thanks!

Old 03-18-2005, 11:58 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

frustrated35 HB User

OH!!! The lean mass and fat mass are pounds....98 pounds of lean mass and 38 pounds of fat mass. Told you I was blonde.....that makes more sense. When did getting in shape be so hard to figure? UG!

Old 03-18-2005, 06:26 PM   #7

phillydude HB User

How long are you doing your cardio for? Keeping the same pace/resistance or changing it up during your workout? I'm thinking that adding some intervals might help quicken the pace, but you are doing a great job as it is!

Old 03-18-2005, 08:07 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

bluehen94 HB User

Hi Frustrated35, I posted with you on the weight loss board. Just wanted to say I'm glad you posted here, the people on this board are much more helpful at looking at your diet/exercise routine and helping you tweak things. Again, doing great, keep up the good work, maybe we'll both hit our goals by summer .

Old 03-19-2005, 12:14 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

frustrated35 HB User

Hey phillydude, I'm doing cardio 30 to 45 min 4-5x/week(sometimes the knee just can't take more than 30). Can't go over level 6 resistance (knee starts popping) I know, I'm limited. Not only did I tear my MCL & LCL, I dislocated my kneecap 3 years ago. Surgery went well, but it's been a lonnnnnnng recovery with complications along the way as well as other stupid injuries along the way too. I did try running, knee was ******, so I mix it up between the 2 ellipticals and did the stairmaster interval level 3 today. That change kicked my butt this morning and I even listened to my doctor and made sure I was focusing on my heels (working the butt) and not my toes since that irritates the knee. My workout partner and I made some changes and even went to a different gym (different location). Thanks for the advise and support!

Old 03-19-2005, 12:20 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

frustrated35 HB User

Hey bluehen94, great to hear from you! You are soooo right, this board has helped. I don't think the weight loss board people are really interested in body fat, lean mass etc, they are interested in losing weight. I might have intimited some people. As I mentioned to phillydude, I did make some changes this morning and man I'm beat! I am so looking forward to my cheat day. My trainer allows me to have one, but I usually don't cheat all day, just enjoy and nice girls night out with a couple of drinks. With the support I have already received I know we both can achieve our goals! Best of luck!! Keep me posted on your progress!

Old 03-19-2005, 12:38 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

bluehen94 HB User

Your absolutely right. The weight loss board I find is people looking to drop weight and not improve overall fitness and body composition. The people who posted here for you seem to know what there talking about and can back what they say with scientific research. I'm beat too from my AM workout, only because I did it on 5 hrs sleep, twins kept me up all night!!

Closed Thread