It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2005, 07:23 AM   #1

BobK07 HB User
suggestions please

I just increased my weights and did a new tricept exercise (the one where you lay on ur back and bring the bar down behind your head and bring it back up). I am sore for the first time in a very long time because i usually do the same thing. I did this Thursday and its Saturaday and my tricepts are still sore. Would you guys recomend I take another day off from lifting upper body. Also Id like to hear what you guys think of some of my excercise.

I'm 6 foot 160 pounds.

These are just some of exercises (some time ill do more then ten reps)

Bicepts-1 arm curls 3X10 at 50 lbs
2 arm curls 2X10 at 90, 1X10 at 100

Bench-3X10 at 150 (max about 245)
dips- 16 dips X3
seated row-3X10 at 140
lat pulldown 3X10 at 140
overhead press machine 3X10 at 100
vertical chest 3X10 at 105-110

I do a few others as well. I also do cardio on the off days. I used to do about 12 miles a week on the treadmill but Ive scaled it down to about 7 as by bodyfat seems pretty low and I cant loose much more weight without loosing muscle. Ive always done 8 min abs but stopped because there seems so point anymore since im so lean. my abs are clearly visable even when sitting so I figure doing abs a lot would make them bulky. So I usually just work then once a week.
I'd be interested to hear what you guys think of my workout.

I'd like to hear suggestions

Last edited by BobK07; 03-19-2005 at 07:26 AM.

Old 03-19-2005, 02:37 PM   #2

BobK07 HB User
Re: suggestions please

Also, I have just recently started to do leg work in the past couple months

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2005, 05:16 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

...what are your goals?
There are no patently good or bad exercises (generally) so whatever you use that's working and/or different is fine. but again, whether what you're doing is ideal for the goals you're working toward is another issue. For general fitness and muscle maintenance, I'd say you're fine (with the addition of leg work). My only recommendation would be to do back and chest exercises before doing delt, triceps or biceps work. Pre-fatiguing your helper muscles on larger lifts might compromise form.

Old 03-19-2005, 05:44 PM   #4

BobK07 HB User

Thanks for responding. My goals are getting a little bigger without adding fat. I read that for someone as active as me I need like 2300 cals to maintain and like 3000 to gain. I'm not so sure this is true because all last semseter I only ate 2 meals a day along with working out 7 days a week and I didn't seem to loose weight. I also didnt gain anything either. The only time I gain weight is when I go home for college and I tend to eat more. like for christmas break I prob put on 6-7 pounds. I still wasnt heavy but just having a little flab on me drove me nuts. I came back I had a pretty strict diet and lost it all and now I'm a pound or two under what I've been. I admit its nice to have a low bodyfat but I'd like to be a little bigger. I dont wanna get big and bulky, I'd much rather have a lean model type look then a jacked up look. people have said I have the lean brad pitt type body (pre troy, he got bigger for that). So if youve ever seen fight club you know hes cut but hes really not all that big. I think I read he was 155-159 at a 6 foot frame. I'm just real confused about what I need to eat to gain without getting fat. have any suggestions?

Old 03-21-2005, 04:43 AM   #5

BobK07 HB User

I also lift legs after I do cardio for the most part, is this ok?

Old 03-21-2005, 11:12 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

I'd just increase your protein intake. It will increase your calories, but with content that your body can use for muscle (and will be much less likely to end up as fat). Do you have a post workout shake?
Don't worry about getting to bulky. That doesnt often happen on accident. That's like me worrying that I'll accidently end up with a six pack. It's a lot of work and you're really not lifting heavy enough to cause that kind of build.
What kinds of lifts? I'd do them before cardio, personally. After cardio, you're tapped of glycogen and lifts are ging to be much lower and possibly comprimising form.

Old 03-21-2005, 01:43 PM   #7

BobK07 HB User

I do drink a protien shake after I lift. This is why I run first. By lifting after a run I can drink my shake after my lift. After I run I really only do about 4 core leg excercises so I am able to do it (i recently stoped running in sundays and i lift legs instead, since I dotn run I can usually do a little more work). When I say bulky I dont mean those big gorilla's in the the gym. You could be cut and still look bulky. I've seen guys with a 6 pack but it bulges out and some guys lats look to big so that although they are trim they dont have that lean and athletic look. I have uped my protein intake. Heres what I ate today.
7:30 A bowl of golean kashi (13 g protien and 10 g fiber per cup) with skim milk and a bananna for breakfest
11:30-(schools caf) a couple scoops of egg beaters, an egg beaters omlet with a little bit of turkey sausage and a little motzerella cheese with one peice of whole wheat bread, an apple and a glass of skim milk
245-a protien shake w skim milk (after a run of over 2 and a half miles and some leg work)
4 pm (some chicken that I took from the stir fry section (about two scoops)

at 7 ill prob have chicken w a glass of skim milk and an orange (sometimes Ill have a baked pitato of some beans as well

after dinner I usually dont eat, if im hungry ill have some handfuls of kashi or a few prezels

(keep in mind It varies a little)

How does this diet look? Also I just measured my bicepts and my right bicepts is 14 and 1/2 while my left I just over 14. Any ideas on how to work my left arm better(I'm right handed in everything). basically I just wanna add a little more to my arms but don't wanna add any muscle to my midsection. I think I'm gonna cut down on my lat and back work (i'll prob stop doing lat pulldowns and reduce the seated row machine: I do dips and I dont like that big lat look. I'll do more tricept excercises instead. My bicepts are good size but the tris could be a little bigger. This look good?

Last edited by BobK07; 03-21-2005 at 01:51 PM.

Old 03-21-2005, 03:17 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

To even out Left and Right arms, try unilateral exercises (dumbells, single arm presses/extentions/curls etc). Then the arms are working independently with the same weight so one cannot compensate for the other.
Your diet actually looks quite good, although I'd stick a small snack in there between 7:30 and 11:30. 4 Hours is too long to go with no food at all. If nothing else, a handful of nuts or jerkey or whatever you can cram in your pocket and take with you. Might also have a small protein (not carb) snack a couple hours after dinner. I don't know what time you go to bed, but even if it's 9 or 10, you should have a little something else. Cottage cheese or tuna or something.

Old 03-21-2005, 08:12 PM   #9

BobK07 HB User

thanks for responding man i apprictate it. As for the left arm thing, I do isoate it with one arms curls. Doing 3 sets of 10 at 50 pounds isnt any more difficult then with my right arm. Now that I think of it it might not be the bicepts as much as the tricepts. I guess I'll have to work on that. I wanna get a little bigger in the arms, like maybe a half inch or so would be satisfying. Also I'd like to increase the legs as well. I know its gonna have to be gradual because I just cant bring myself to bulk. I've spoiled myself with beaing lean for to long. It would just be weird to have some fat on my stomach. I guess I shouldnt really complain, there could be worse problems to have.

Last edited by BobK07; 03-21-2005 at 08:17 PM.

Closed Thread