It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2005, 08:04 AM   #1
(female)

lad77 HB User
Need help with shaping up after illness...

Do to a recent 6 month long illness, I lost a lot of weight. At 5'5" I was slightly overweight (150 lbs.) and am now 110 pounds. I look in great shape with my clothes on but I lost fat and a lot of lean muscle along with it. So, I have a lot of loose skin and want to build some muscle back so I'll be toned.

I had major surgery 4 weeks ago and was cleared last week by my physician to begin walking on the treadmill. I have started slowly to begin building endurance. I will not be cleared to do any resistance exercise for another 6 weeks--no ab work, weights, etc. I am cleared for walking only.

I want to work on my flabby thighs since the one thing I can do is walk on the treadmill...so my question is: what is the best way to begin to tone and build thigh muscles on the treadmill. What would be the most effective?? Should I increase distance, speed or incline? I know the treadmill is not ideal for building muscles but more for cardio but it's my only option for now and I don't want to wait another 6 weeks to begin shaping up. Thanks for your suggestions!

Old 03-19-2005, 05:19 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User
Re: Need help with shaping up after illness...

Keep it at a fairly slow pace and kick up the incline. It will work calves and thighs (and butt) without being too high intensity. Keep it at a speed that you can maintain for 20-30 minutes (or more if you can) and it will be decent cardio as well as a bit of toning.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2005, 07:23 PM   #3
(female)

lad77 HB User

An increase in incline is what I thought I needed to do...thanks. For the past few days, I've done 30-35 minutes at 3.3-3.5 mph...at least 20 minutes of that is at a 5 degree incline. Will that be effective? How is that speed? Do I need to increase speed since I can easily do 30-35 minutes at that speed or consentrate on increasing incline? Is 6 days per week okay? I don't necessarily need to burn calories/fat since I really don't have much fat...just excess saggy skin. Sorry for so many questions & thanks for your help...

Old 03-19-2005, 09:38 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

I'd just increase the incline. As high as you can comfortably go. Increasing speed just makes it more of a calorie-burning exefcise, which isn't your goal. 6 days a week is a lot. 5 maybe, or every-other day so you get a day of rest in between sessions.

Closed Thread