It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2005, 11:15 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User
Pyramiding for muscle building or fat burning?

Hi, ok, there is a very cute trainer/manager at our gym, that my daughter and I can't help looking at while we work out because it seems his workout schedule is at the same time of day as ours. Now, a few times I've been guilty of also not just watching him but his workout as well, sort of like when the character Grace from Will and Grace spied on a personal trainers' routine for free training. That's naughty of me I know, but I do have my own workout though.

But I noticed he does is what I think I read about was called pyramiding, where you build up the weight each set then go back down to the lightest weight.

Is this better for building muscle or burning fat? I'm fairly strong muscle wise, but need to get off that last 20 pounds. I prefer to be muscular and lean; right now I'm muscular but too bulky and have some visiable fat still around my stomach and thighs, so it's not my imagination that I need to lose some more weight!

Anyone here know if pyramiding is good for the leaner look? That cute trainer is very muscular but doesn't have the bulk look at all like the typical body-builder so it's working for him, but I'm not sure if it would work for me.

I know diet has alot to do with fat burning but I'm slowly learning to eat better although I still have a vice with sweets.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is, how does pyramiding develop the muscle vs. regular sets, does it develop a leaner muscle or bulkier muscle??

Last edited by Jennita; 03-20-2005 at 11:18 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2005, 08:53 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User
Re: Pyramiding for muscle building or fat burning?

Pyramiding is an advanced technique for muscle building, not "toning" or fat loss. Diet is the biggest factor in fat loss, followed by cardio. The *best* thing is you can do is to clean up the diet and you will see changes, especially since it sounds like you already have enough lean muscle so you probably have a higher than average metabolism. Relegate sweets to once a week (so you don't feel you have to give them up altogether) and eat clean.

Old 03-20-2005, 10:05 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naxis
Pyramiding is an advanced technique for muscle building, not "toning" or fat loss. Diet is the biggest factor in fat loss, followed by cardio. The *best* thing is you can do is to clean up the diet and you will see changes, especially since it sounds like you already have enough lean muscle so you probably have a higher than average metabolism. Relegate sweets to once a week (so you don't feel you have to give them up altogether) and eat clean.
Well, I'm not advanced but wouldn't mind keeping my muscle up. I guess you are right, though. Guess pyramiding won't help me shed the fat.

Damn, I thought you were going to say I can have my cake and eat it too.

Well, looks like I don't get chocolate or the cute trainer either. Life sure sucks it.

Thanks for your insight, Naxis I like reading all your advice here!

Last edited by Jennita; 03-20-2005 at 10:07 PM.

Old 03-21-2005, 05:28 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hitmen HB User

I like to use pyramiding and reverse pyramiding just to switch things up every once in awhile.

Old 03-21-2005, 08:01 AM   #5

phillydude HB User

<< I guess I don't get chocolate or the cute trainer either...>>

Why not? If you want the chocolate, you CAN have it... in moderation.

One ounce of chocolate is about 150 calories. I THINK that's the size of one Hershey's kiss. If you let it melt in your mouth as opposed to chewing it, it'll probably last for a couple minutes, and you'll be surprised how satisfying it will be.

You can burn that by running on the treadmill for an extra 15 minutes at a 12 minute/mile pace. Just think... that's an extra 15 minutes you can spend checking out the trainer. And the more time you spend getting in shape, the better your chances of getting the trainer. How's THAT for motivation?

Old 03-21-2005, 10:54 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillydude
<< I guess I don't get chocolate or the cute trainer either...>>

Why not? If you want the chocolate, you CAN have it... in moderation.

One ounce of chocolate is about 150 calories. I THINK that's the size of one Hershey's kiss. If you let it melt in your mouth as opposed to chewing it, it'll probably last for a couple minutes, and you'll be surprised how satisfying it will be.

You can burn that by running on the treadmill for an extra 15 minutes at a 12 minute/mile pace. Just think... that's an extra 15 minutes you can spend checking out the trainer. And the more time you spend getting in shape, the better your chances of getting the trainer. How's THAT for motivation?
Ha!! I'm going to go get some hershey kisses today!! Will not get crazy with them. Love the idea of checking out the trainer more...actually, sometimes my daughter and I will do extra sets if he lingers. This is good/bad because some days we can't move the next day

Yep, motivation is a powerful thing...

Nope, I'm too old for the trainer but I'm hoping my daughter might snag him someday

Oh well, I'll just make love to the hersheys....

Last edited by Jennita; 03-21-2005 at 10:54 AM.

Old 03-21-2005, 11:22 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillydude
You're definitely not a woman. A whole Hershey bar is 250 calories. And a single Kiss (tm) is about 25 calories. So it's not THAT bad, but still it adds up fast and is nutritionally barren.

Old 03-21-2005, 12:08 PM   #8

phillydude HB User

Yep... definitely NOT a woman. Only 25 calories, hmm?

Old 03-21-2005, 08:43 PM   #9
(male)

senoflys HB User

when I think of pyramiding I do increasing reps with a partner. I do one then my buddy does one, they I do two etc...up to 6 and then back down. We dont add weight on. Is this wrong or is this more for toning? We are both looking to add muscle so if there is a better way of doing pyramids any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Old 03-21-2005, 09:52 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naxis
You're definitely not a woman. A whole Hershey bar is 250 calories. And a single Kiss (tm) is about 25 calories. So it's not THAT bad, but still it adds up fast and is nutritionally barren.
Ok, Naxis, but I AM a women and nobody attacks my chocolate and gets away with it. Nutritionally barren, eh??? Now you've gone and done it!! Hang on, it's going to be a long ride....

a report published in the February issue of the Journal of the American Dietetic Association says that chocolate is good for your heart. Researchers at the University of California at Davis reviewed a number of recent studies on chocolate – particularly dark chocolate – and its health benefits. They found that flavan-3-ols, the main flavonoids found in cocoa, are associated with a decreased risk of cardiovascular disease.

"Cocoa contains the same nutrients found in other plant foods, including minerals and specific antioxidants that help ward off diseases such as heart disease," says registered dietitian and *** spokesperson Althea Zanecosky. "In addition, oleic acid, a monounsaturated fat also found in olive oil, makes up one-third of the fat in chocolate and has been shown to be beneficial for heart health.

"What’s more, researchers reported that Europeans living in the 17th century praised chocolate for its healing powers. They believed that chocolate 'comforted the liver, aided in digestion and made one happy and strong,'" Zanecosky says.

"Chocolate was also used for stimulating the kidneys and treating anemia, tuberculosis, fever and gout," Zanecosky says. "It was also viewed as a way to strengthen the heart and relieve heart pain."

While many of us would love to stand in the shoes of Lucille Ball working the assembly line at the chocolate factory, nutrition experts advise consuming chocolate in moderate amounts and incorporating a wide range of phytochemical-rich foods including fruits and vegetables, teas and red wines.

Studies have found that people who eat antioxidant rich foods tend to have lower rates of heart disease and cancer.

A bit of chocolate now and then can enhance your health and well being. When you do need a little reward, have a bite of this tasty, plant-based food without guilt. Do avoid chocolates that are high in sugar. High quality, darker and more bitter chocolates are the ones to choose.

Derived from the cacao bean, chocolate contains flavonoids, similar to those found in berries, red wine and green tea. Flavonoids are strong antioxidants, important for their ability to help protect tissues and cells in the body from the harmful effects of free radicals. Researchers suspect that free radicals are a contributor to age-related chronic diseases.

One study found that cocoa reduced the stickiness of platelets (the smallest red blood cells) in the blood stream, working much the same way as baby aspirin. At least one other study has discovered that the phenols from chocolate prevented oxidation of LDL cholesterol as well as did red wine.

It gets even better. The major fat found in chocolate is stearic acid. Although a saturated fat, stearic acid does not raise blood cholesterol levels the way many other saturated fats do. Stearic acid is the same fat that is found in butter and beef.

Although chocolate can be a “good thing”, indulge in moderation. Include a nice balance of other antioxidant rich foods in your daily diet: colorful vegetables, fruit and berries, green tea, and even a bit of red wine.

Old 03-21-2005, 09:55 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

Myths and Truths about Candy
MYTH:
Candy contributes to a large percentage of the fat and sugar in the American diet.
TRUTH:
In fact, less than two percent of the fat and ten percent of the sugar in our diets are supplied by candy. Most of the fat actually comes from the high-fat animal products we eat. The main sources of sugar in America's diets are sugary beverages, baked goods and frozen desserts.
MYTH:
Foods high in saturated fats raise cholesterol levels.
TRUTH:
Contrary to popular belief, not all types of saturated fats raise blood cholesterol levels. Stearic acid, the primary saturated fatty acid found in chocolate, has been shown to have a neutral effect on blood cholesterol levels.
MYTH:
An ounce of milk chocolate contains about as much caffeine as a cup of coffee.
TRUTH:
Actually, a one-ounce piece of milk chocolate contains about the same amount of caffeine as a cup of decaffeinated coffee. There is an average of 6 mg. of caffeine in both an ounce of milk chocolate and a cup of decaf, while a cup of regular coffee contains between 150 and 655 mg. of caffeine.
MYTH:
The sugar in candy causes hyperactivity in children.
TRUTH:
Sugar does not cause hyperactivity in children, despite wide-spread belief to the contrary. Recent studies conducted at Vanderbilt University and the University of Iowa College of Medicine found no evidence that sugar has an adverse effect on children's behavior.
MYTH:
Candies like jelly beans, gum drops or hard candies are high in calories.
TRUTH:
Not at all. One butterscotch disc has only 20 calories. Eight gum drops or eight jelly beans (the equivalent of one ounce) contain 115 calories. Even better, most of these candies are fat- and cholesterol-free, making them a healthier treat than many people realize.
MYTH:
Chocolate is addictive.
TRUTH:
Although it's true that many people love the taste of chocolate, it is not an addictive food. An addiction is a serious medical condition with specific physical and psychological symptoms. However, the desire for sweet tasting food is a strong biological drive, and it can be satisfied by eating any naturally sweet food or product made with sugar.
MYTH:
Candy is responsible for most tooth decay.
TRUTH:
Not so. Any food containing fermentable carbohydrates, such as starches or sugars, can contribute to tooth decay. It all depends on how often we eat and drink these foods and how long they remain in our mouths. Good dental hygiene and regular fluoride treatments are the best ways to prevent cavities.

Nutrient Value of Chocolate

Chocolate milk is a good source of many nutrients. Adding two tablespoons of Hershey's chocolate syrup to milk increases the calorie and carbohydrate content, not the fat. Chocolate milk, made with 2% fat milk, has less fat than whole milk.

A sundae made with fat-free frozen yogurt, Hershey's chocolate syrup and whipped topping contains 180 calories and 2 grams of fat (3 percent of the Daily Value).

Most of the calories, fat and saturated fat in the American diet come from dairy, meat and baked grain products.

Five butter-flavored crackers (one serving) contain approximately 4 grams of fat.

Chocolate candy contributes less than 2 percent of total calories, fat and saturated fat in the American diet.

One serving of vanilla cookies (seven cookies) contains approximately 7 grams of fat.

Five mini-muffins (one serving) contain approximately 16 grams of fat.

Caffeine and *****romine

The level of caffeine in chocolate (6 mg per 1 oz milk chocolate) is extremely low when compared to the level in coffee, tea and some soft drinks. The small amount of caffeine present in chocolate is naturally occurring in the cocoa bean, unlike the caffeine in soft drinks which is added during the manufacturing process.

Old 03-21-2005, 09:58 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

I'm ok now. Had two hershey bells.

Old 03-21-2005, 10:24 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." Sorry, but show me one average person who Hershey bars have saved from heart disease. Im not denying that there are some small amounts of healthy material in there somewhere. These nutrients, fats and such are so minor in the grand makeup of The Chocolate Bar, the negatives infinitely outweigh the purported benefits, which is why it is a denizen of the Junk Food Aisle. Don't get me wrong, I am all for a little guilt-free dietary pleasure with moderation, but justifying it as a health food is too much. IMHO.

Old 03-22-2005, 05:30 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

ChappyBoy HB User

So you been eating the chocolate and defend it and you are working on the LAST 20 pounds? I think Dr Phil puts it best " so how's that working out for you?"

Candy and chocolate is crap and has no place in lean mass/fat loss diet. At best it should be used as a rare treat.

Old 03-22-2005, 09:31 AM   #15
(male)

senoflys HB User

Can anybody answer my question?? it has nothing to do with chocolate...hehehe

Closed Thread