It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2005, 01:30 PM   #1
(female)

Kayrey HB User
Can't seem to lose weight even though I am exercising

I started using a treadmill two years ago, but have only started "running" on it since October. I am diligent about using it four to five times a week and have increased my distance capacity to 2 miles. Sometimes I only run a mile, but do it at a faster pace so basically, I am going from 8 1/2 minute miles to 12 minute miles when I am shooting for a longer run. I have also recently added five pound dumbells to my workout using them for various arm exercises in hopes of creating some definition on my upper arms. My problem is that I have not lost one single pound since I started this whole regimen and it is getting extremely frustrating. I also have been carb conscious for the last year and try to avoid the "bad" carbs. I am 5'8" and currently weigh 135 pounds which is actually a gain for me of five pounds. I also seem to be going up in clothes size. What am I doing wrong?

Old 03-20-2005, 04:40 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rita HB User
Re: Can't seem to lose weight even though I am exercising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayrey
I started using a treadmill two years ago, but have only started "running" on it since October. I am diligent about using it four to five times a week and have increased my distance capacity to 2 miles. Sometimes I only run a mile, but do it at a faster pace so basically, I am going from 8 1/2 minute miles to 12 minute miles when I am shooting for a longer run. I have also recently added five pound dumbells to my workout using them for various arm exercises in hopes of creating some definition on my upper arms. My problem is that I have not lost one single pound since I started this whole regimen and it is getting extremely frustrating. I also have been carb conscious for the last year and try to avoid the "bad" carbs. I am 5'8" and currently weigh 135 pounds which is actually a gain for me of five pounds. I also seem to be going up in clothes size. What am I doing wrong?
At 5'8 and 135 pounds I really don't see the need for weight loss. If anything, you may be underweight. Of course, that doesn't mean that you are physically fit. Your workout is not reallly top notch, just treadmill and very light weights are not really enough to build any muscle mass and that's what you should do. Since I doubt very much that your muscle mass has increased then the ONLY explanation for your weight gain (or lack of weight loss) is your diet. To lose weight you must consume fewer calories than your body needs to maintain its weight. You say that you have been "carb conscious" but just because you eat healthy carbs doesn't mean you can eat as much of them as you want. Portion control is the ultimate key to successful weight loss. So, my suggestion is to increase the intensity of your cardio, perhaps add some interval training, and also add some more weight training with heavier weights. As far as diet, I really don't believe in any "diet". Simply eat mostly healthy foods (we all know what they are, I am sure) in moderation and permit yourself a daily "treat" without any guilt.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2005, 09:05 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

One other thing to note: much of the low carb products contain higher fat content which is often higher calorie, so beware of that pothole. Lean protein, complex carbs, veggies and such within your caloric needs will get you right on the road to a fitter body. And I definitely second the recommendation to start on a resistance regimen, even if it's just with resistance bands or body weight alone. Lean muscle increases metabolism and is excellent for general health.

Old 03-21-2005, 07:43 AM   #4

phillydude HB User

On the exercise side of the equation, I hate to say it, but you are basically doing next to nothing when you workout on the treadmill. Let's do the math.

If you run for one mile at an 8.5 pace, that would mean you are exercising for 8.5 minutes, right? Geez, you have time to add "8 Minute Abs" and still be in the shower before you've reached the 20 minute mark. As far as calories go, you burn 15 calories a minute running at an 8 pace, so giving you the benefit of the doubt, we'll say you burn 120 calories during your workout. That's about equal to about 8oz of apple juice, just as a point of reference.

Even when you go on your "long" runs of two miles, you are still only exercising for 24 minutes at a 12 pace, correct? You only burn 10 calories a minute at that speed, so your total is 240 calories. That's about equal to a standard size yogurt with a sprinkling of granola on top, for example.

Generally, the guideline to lose one pound a week is to create a 3500 calorie a week deficit. That's 500 calories per day. So if you split it down the middle, you need to do 250 calories worth of exercise EVERY DAY and lose another 250 calories a day EVERY DAY from your typical diet. Take that into consideration as you evaluate your eating habits (which is 80% of the battle for most people) and good luck as you continue to monitor your progress.

Closed Thread