It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2005, 09:26 AM   #1
(female)

Amycvcc HB User
Home workouts??

Was wondering if anyone has had good results without the gym? I am meaning with workout videos and some inexpensive equipment...(all for under 200). Running, biking, swimming....
With all of these can I assume I would be ok without the gym?
ANd with around 200(or less preferably) what would be the equipment to buy? I ama female and would like to do some strength training but not o bulk up....I am in the military and really need to work on my run, push ups and sit ups..Thanks..
Amy

Old 03-21-2005, 11:17 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User
Re: Home workouts??

Absolutely. With plyometrics, running, pullups, pushups, dips etc, the gym is not necessary at all. It's nice for variety, but you can absolutely stay lean and fit at home. Resistance bands and/or removable plate dumbells are good space-friendly, fairly inexpensive equipment to have around.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2005, 11:26 AM   #3
(female)

Amycvcc HB User

I am sorry but I am not sure what plyometrics is. Can you give me some info? Thanks.
Also do you have any ideas on setting up a no gym routine to maximize the benefits and to work the total body?
Amy

Old 03-21-2005, 11:35 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

Plyometrics are just explosive type exercises using only bodyweight. There are many of them listed online with descriptions and pictures if you do a search.
Ideally, you just need to have some sort of cardio routine (even just running a couple times a week) and a resistance workout that hits every muscle group so you can keep a balance of strength and symmetrical build. Chest, back, shoulders, arms, legs and abs. Peruse a bookstore exercise section for a ton of ideas for exercises to do (and if you get something like resistance bands, they often come with a little booklet of exercises that you can do with them.)

Old 03-21-2005, 11:55 AM   #5
(female)

Amycvcc HB User

I just did a search and found some info. I do not yet really understand what exactly it is. I get the opinion that it does not sound safe. But I guess I jsut need to know more about it.
Amy

Old 03-21-2005, 03:20 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

It's plenty safe. They are generally more advanced moves, a bit tough for beginners, but not at all dangerous. no more than any exercise. Examples are pushups with a clap, jumping down from a chair or box and immediately jumping back up as soon as you hit the ground, that sort of thing. But that's just one option. There are plenty of other exercises you can do.

Old 03-22-2005, 10:04 AM   #7
(female)

Amycvcc HB User

Thanks for the info..I am not opposed to trying it. I will see if I can find a book on it at the library.
Amy

Closed Thread