It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2005, 06:42 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

bluehen94 HB User
Free weights vs machnes....is one better?

I was wondering is one better than the other depending on your goals or is changing between the two every so often the key?

Old 03-22-2005, 07:16 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

ChappyBoy HB User
Re: Free weights vs machnes....is one better?

They both have their place and usually co-exist in a plan. Fee weights tend to be more multi-muscular and have the advantage of training the stabilizer muscles as well. Machines tend to be more targeted on certain muscles, isolating them and they often control range of motion. I believe a balanced plan will encompass both of these.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2005, 07:26 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

bluehen94 HB User

Usually I do most of my chest and back weights with machines, pully's with tri's, free weights with biceps and a combination with shoulders, machines for legs. Is it better to use machines for certain muscle groups and free weights for others?

Old 03-22-2005, 09:39 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

ChappyBoy HB User

I think the fastest results would be seen from free weights due to the multi-muscle mechanics of the exercise and the fact that you are not performing a movement along a controlled plane. I usually use core lifts as the foundation of any body part and add secondary exercises with machines and other free weight exercises.

In my opinion too many people avoid the basics - especially squats and deadlifts.

Old 03-22-2005, 12:51 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

bluehen94 HB User

Well, I never do squats, they absolutely kill my knees which are not great since surgery 5 years ago.

Old 03-22-2005, 01:00 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

ChappyBoy HB User

Thats a shame squats are the absolute best exercise you can do - unfortunately some people (like you) have injuries that prevent them. I am lucky! two knee surgeries (from football days) and I still manage a mid 500lb squat (RAW)

Old 03-22-2005, 01:23 PM   #7
(male)

DMN HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChappyBoy
Thats a shame squats are the absolute best exercise you can do - unfortunately some people (like you) have injuries that prevent them. I am lucky! two knee surgeries (from football days) and I still manage a mid 500lb squat (RAW)
A GREAT exercise if you are looking to get rid of fat too! Quads get developed.....big muscles that need energy. Hmmmmmm.....where to get energy. I know........fat!

I'm seeing all these builders who work their abs and upper bodies and have spindly legs. Where are their squats? Where are their deadlifts?

--
John

Old 03-22-2005, 01:25 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

bluehen94 HB User

Well, I am a woman and not a body builder, but many of us absolutely hate/dread doing leg workouts more than anything.

Old 03-22-2005, 02:12 PM   #9
Senior Veteran

DonutsNCoffee HB User

There's no question which is better. Free weights. I work so much harder when I use free weights, especially when I do exercises where my body is moving through space and I'm not resting against something. Squats are the single best exercise you can do. Don't avoid doing leg workouts, especially if you're a woman. It's a great way to really develop your legs and your glutes.

Old 03-22-2005, 02:56 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

bluehen94 HB User

I push myself to do legs once a week, I just hate the way it kills my cardio workout that day and for at least the next 1 or 2 days.

Old 03-23-2005, 09:42 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hitmen HB User

When I first got into working out I dreaded working legs. I thought hey my legs are fit enough, I don't need to waste my time on them so I just focused on the upper body. But then I started reading about how important it is to work legs and how squats are such a great exercise that I really started to concentrate on legs. To this day, I suffer the worst post workout soreness when I work legs. If I had a really good leg day im sometimes sore for three days!

Old 03-23-2005, 10:15 AM   #12
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

I favor free weights too, but do notice I can use alot more weight with machines...so I like to mix it up. Proper form is really, really important with the free weights too otherwise you defeat the purpose....

Old 03-23-2005, 10:19 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hitmen HB User

Well with free weights you're basically on you're own. Machines offer a bit of support and leverage. I mix it up but prefer free weights more.

Old 03-23-2005, 10:21 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

ChappyBoy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennita
I favor free weights too, but do notice I can use alot more weight with machines...so I like to mix it up. Proper form is really, really important with the free weights too otherwise you defeat the purpose....

You really aren't using more weight when you take into account the Cams and Pulleys.

Old 03-23-2005, 10:32 AM   #15
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChappyBoy
You really aren't using more weight when you take into account the Cams and Pulleys.
Whaaa? Don't ruin it for me! Too late.

Now I feel whimpy again, thanks...

Closed Thread