It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2005, 07:24 PM   #1
(female)

haralda HB User
Question slim fast and fruit

I am having problem loosing weight. I do a all over body workout and lift free weights. 4 to 5 times a week. The scale is not moving. I drink a slim fast for breakfast. have a apple or grapefruit for a mid morning snack. then I have lunch. a salad and sandwich or chicken and veg. If I eat lunch, then I dont eat dinner. I'll just eat a salad and a piece of fruit. I alternate my fruit for a after noon snack. My clothes does fit better, But I really want to see the scale move. Can the sugar in the fruit have any affect on my weight lose. I am a 36 year old female

Last edited by haralda; 03-22-2005 at 07:25 PM. Reason: want to add age and wt

Old 03-23-2005, 07:53 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User
Re: slim fast and fruit

First, if your clothes are fitting better then you are getting results. **IGNORE THE SCALE** It is not a good gauge of progress, especially in the beginning. If the scale doesn't move, but you look and feel leaner, then you have gained some lean muscle (which is more dense than fat, so it weighs more) and lost some fat. This is exactly what you want. But it won't continue with your current regimen...

However, your diet is atrocious. You will not maintain lean muscle or lose much more fat this way. You definitely need more protein and you must NOT skip meals. If you don't eat dinner, you're adding several hours to the period that your body is going without food and nutrients including when you're sleeping. This puts you at high risk for losing lean muscle, which will actually slow your metabolism.
Your food choices could be much, much better. And though you didn't post your weight I'm almost positive you're not getting enough calories, which will put your body into "starvation mode" where it will actually hang onto fat and slow your metabolism even more because it isn't getting enough calories to function the way it needs to day to day. Here's a little bit of fitness diet basics:

Calories are the primary factor in determining fat loss. You must have a caloric deficit (burning more than you are eating) on a consistent, daily basis or you will not lose fat. Conversely, if you eat too little, your body will slow its metabolism and hang onto fat, so you have to find the right range for your body. General rule of thumb is 10-12x bodyweight in calories each day (higher in the range if you're working out). If you can, divide those calories into 4 - 6 small meals to eat throughout the day (every 2-3 hours). It will keep you from being hungry and keep metabolism up so that you will use the nutrients and burn fat more efficiently and even out blood sugar levels.
Once that is in order, check the content of your diet.
You need to be getting enough protein to build and maintain lean muscle mass (which keeps metabolism high) which is generally .8 to 1g per pound of body weight. This will also help keep your body from storing fat. Egg whites, chicken or turkey breast, fish, lean beef, even nuts, soy beans, tofu, various legumes and dairy.
Carbs should be complex. Avoid sugars and white foods when possible (white bread, white rice, pasta etc) because your body metabolizes them like it would sugar which increases likelihood of fat storage. Whole grain breads, oats, and brown rice and the like are burned more slowly and less likely to be stored. The key is to keep blood sugar levels fairly even. Vegetables and grains are always a good choice, fruits are ok, but don't overdo it (high sugar).
You must have fats. They are not the devil. But fat has 9 calories per gram (as opposed to 4 calories per gram for carbs and protein) so those calories can add up fast. A little healthy/unsaturated fat each day will help your body to use it's own fat for fuel (under a caloric deficit), as well as regulate hormones and various body functions. Olive oil, fatty fish like salmon and mackerel, nuts and seeds all have good fat.

Try to drink 1-3 litres of water a day. Sipping constantly throughout the day or 8-16 oz. with each meal should help to make the quota.

I hope that helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2005, 07:54 AM   #3
(male)

Nixona HB User

Chances are you are losing some fat and gaining muscle which weighs more. However I doubt if you've been at this 3 or 4 weeks that that's all that is going on.

The sugar in the fruit probably has nothing to do with it. If I were in your shoes, I would make a food log of what I eat in a typical day and get a rough ballpark of what your caloric intake is. From what you say, I'd venture to guess you are barely breaking 1000 calories if you are using lowfat dressing and wholegrain wheat bread.

Then find a website that will calculate your Base Metabolic Rate (?) or BMR. You'll probably see that you need 1300 or more calories per day just to be alive and breathing, not counting your daily workouts and such. If you take in far far less calories than you use in one day, it could slow your metabolism down and make it more difficult to lose weight.

Old 03-23-2005, 07:59 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

ChappyBoy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixona
Chances are you are losing some fat and gaining muscle which weighs more. However I doubt if you've been at this 3 or 4 weeks that that's all that is going on.

The sugar in the fruit probably has nothing to do with it. If I were in your shoes, I would make a food log of what I eat in a typical day and get a rough ballpark of what your caloric intake is. From what you say, I'd venture to guess you are barely breaking 1000 calories if you are using lowfat dressing and wholegrain wheat bread.

Then find a website that will calculate your Base Metabolic Rate (?) or BMR. You'll probably see that you need 1300 or more calories per day just to be alive and breathing, not counting your daily workouts and such. If you take in far far less calories than you use in one day, it could slow your metabolism down and make it more difficult to lose weight.

If you believe the poster is in a calorie defecit how would they be gaining muscle? I would speculate from the info posted that the body is perceiving thats it is being starved and it is holding on to weight.

Old 03-23-2005, 03:44 PM   #5
(female)

haralda HB User

thank you very much. I went to the library today. I think I am not getting enough calories. I weigh 184 lbs and I am 5'3". I started at 178lbs which. I was really discouraged when I found out I had gained. I have eaten very well,all of this started ash wednesday. I only eat wheat bread, and only 1 slice at a time. I snack on sunflowere seeds. I know I am not eating 1300 calories a day. I really watch. no white potatoe, I had 3 sweet potatoes in 35 days. no pasta, I have given that up also. I had very little, not even a serving, a taste of my childrens. This week I have not exercised once. I miss it, but I feel as if I am in a slump. I try so hard. I sweat until I am dripping wet, head to socks. But after no loosing a pound. I just can not get motivated. Everyday I say I am going to start today. This weather has taking the last bit of energy from me also. I use a light cesar vinegrette dressing, I carry every where with me. I drink about 60 to 80 oz of water per day with lemon. and occasionally I drink tropicana light lemanade. I drink coffee with splenda or just cream depending on the day. I know I have lost inches, because I did go down one pant size from a 14 to a 12. and some one I saw the other day, said are you loosing wt. and on yesteday, someone told me, I look good and I am coming down good. I am a nurse and I wear scrub daily, but yesterday I had no patients, and I wore street clothes and someone noticed I looked smaller. Well I am not going to give up, I was just wondering if my fruits were slowing my progress down.

thank you for your replys...

Closed Thread