It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2005, 07:12 PM   #1
(male)

tidus 007 HB User
i hate squats

are there any other leg exercises to do to increase leg muscle cause i lift alone at home, and i suck at squats, plus i hate them, so are squats essential, cause my legs naturally look big anyways, so cant i just ride my bile/other exercises. my favorites are curling, and bench press, they are easy for me.

Old 03-24-2005, 08:18 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

frustrated35 HB User
Re: i hate squats

I hate squats too and would love to know the answer to tidus's question. Because of my knee surgery, squats and lunges have been a big problem. Each time I attempt, the knee gets irritated, pops, buckles and finally gives out. I'm always leaving the gym with a swollen knee because I did them. We even tried doing them without any weights and still a problem. I had to see my orthopedic and he said to quit doing them. I was soooo happy to tell my trainer that he can't make me do those anymore, BUT what else can I do to build/tone? I know by doing the squats and lunges you should be working your butt and I do, but it really does irritate the knee. I don't have a probem with the knee that hasn't been injured. I can do single leg extensions but raise up only 45 degrees and a single leg press but not going all the way down in a squat position. I know this is a start, but any other suggestions as more than welcome here! My trainer won't push me hard with lower body stuff because he doesn't want to be responsible for hurting me. We've pushed it too much with the squats and lunges and I had to get an MRI since the swelling wouldn't go down.

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2005, 08:30 PM   #3
(male)

alexthegreat HB User

If you can do them then go ahead and stop being a wuss. But if you have an injury and they hurt(like frustated35) then I would stop doing them. Theres no substitude for squats but its better than not getting re-injured. Frustated35 take squats out of your routine and do presses,extensions or maybe hack squats if they don't give you a problem.

Last edited by alexthegreat; 03-24-2005 at 08:30 PM.

Old 03-24-2005, 08:50 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

frustrated35 HB User

Alexthegreat, What are hack squats? I'll try anything, unfortunately the knee makes the final decision. The 2nd knee surgery was such a stupid injury and has complicated my life or should I say "challenged" my life. At least the MRI I had last month that showed a lot of abnormalities, was acutally normal for someone who has had 2 knee surgery's. I was sort of glad when my ortho said that basically what I have is a ****** off knee and quit the squats, lunges and running. But I would like to try the hack squats if you will describe them. Thanks!

Last edited by frustrated35; 03-24-2005 at 08:57 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 03-24-2005, 09:11 PM   #5
(male)

yaddayadda3 HB User

yea my football coach stressed squats like all the time so i dont really know other workouts to work your legs mabe dead lifts? if your knee is bothering you i dont think you can domuch for your legs

Old 03-24-2005, 09:26 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

frustrated35 HB User

I hate to ask, but can you please tell me what dead lifts are? I've learned so many new things in the gym that I've made up names for everything to make it easier on me.

Thanks!

Old 03-24-2005, 09:46 PM   #7
(male)

alexthegreat HB User

these are hacksquats

[url]http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Quadriceps/SLHackSquat.html[/url]

Old 03-24-2005, 09:56 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

frustrated35 HB User

Thanks for the info...looked up both. I have done the hacksquats, but only with help. I might be able to try again, just not add any weight.

The deadlifts might work again, but I know I won't be able to squat that low, so will a little squat work? I'm trying my best to rebuild my quad. It shut down after the sugery and it's still smaller than the good leg, but I've come a long way.

Old 03-24-2005, 10:33 PM   #9
(male)

alexthegreat HB User

Deadlifts aren't that good for legs. There a whole body exercise but for me they hit the back more. Just train smart. If i were you I would stick to presses(maybe hack squats) and extensions, you should be fine with those. Train smart and take it slow.

Old 03-25-2005, 05:31 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

ChappyBoy HB User

Squats are the absolute best exercise you can do period. Nothing replaces the squat. If you cant do them do to injury that is one thing but if your goal is to get large and you dont squat - you will never reach your potential.

While on this topic - the 2nd best exercise that way too few people do is deadlift. The dead is an amazing lift.

Curling and Bench press???? I read your posts about low body fat and you stress curling and bench press!!!! The Gold's gym beach work out. If you want to talk the talk you gotta start walking the walk.

Closed Thread