It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2005, 05:48 AM   #1

lunachick03 HB User
running too much??

I've been running for about 3 years now. I average around 6 miles a day 4-5 days a week. I'm a bit concerned because I noticed lately that when I'm not running, I'm unable to relax. It's almost like my body wants to keep going. Also, I had my body fat measured last week and it's at 10%...is this too low?? I've never used weights before but I'm thinking about incorporating some sort of resistance training into my work out. I think running has burned away most of my muscle. Is it possible that I'm producing too much cortisol? My goal is to stay lean and have some muscle tone without looking bulky. What would you recommend?? Should I cut back on running and use more weights?? Do both at the same time?? Thanks in advance guys!!

Old 03-25-2005, 06:20 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

ChappyBoy HB User
Re: running too much??

I have seen this before. There was this guy Forest Gump who always felt like running ....

Ok. - Yes, that much running can burn lean mass off your body. here is the good news 10% is great and healthy, you can limit the amount of mass lost with proper diet and your goal is to not add too much lean mass. I would add some weight resistance training, probably starting at 3 days per week. As far as diet I would just make sure you are getting quality protein 6-7 times a day at about ( you need about 1G per pound/ divide that by the six or seven meals)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2005, 08:58 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hitmen HB User

A body fat percentage of 10% is not too low. A lot of people would kill to have a BF% of 10%.

Old 03-25-2005, 09:04 AM   #4

G2004 HB User

For a Female 10% Body Fat is low. I am pretty sure a good healthy range is 18-21( maybe a little higher than 21, not sure). DO you naturally have low bf or have you lost weight? but either way you could stand to have some more body fat. A good indicator if you have enough, is if you get your period every month. Alot of exercise can effect your cycle too.

Can you do other cardio exercise instead of running most days of the week? that way you can break up your running workouts if you feel it is too much. Lifting weights will defintaley help you gain some musclular tone. Don't worry about bulking up, women aren't able to get huge (not enough Testosterone). Like chappyboy said 3 days a week will be good, make sure you get rest in between for your muscle to recover. Make sure you are eating properly. If you feel like you have lost muscle mass it could be because you aren't eating enough for your activity level, so your body is feeding off of your muscles.

you said, you aren't able to relax when you aren't running. Do you mean on your days off from running, or just when you aren't running? YOu should be able to relax and feel good after workout.
I hope this helps
-Emily-

Last edited by G2004; 03-25-2005 at 09:25 AM.

Old 03-25-2005, 09:11 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

ChappyBoy HB User

Opps! I thought this post was from a guy! Yeah 10% is a little on the low side. I would probably bump up calories and carbs in the diet and get it a little higher. Id be curious to hear your age, weight and height as well.

Old 03-25-2005, 09:54 AM   #6

lunachick03 HB User

I really appreciate everyones response..you guys are great Ok, now to answer some of you. Yes I am female..hence the name lunaCHICK...lol. I'm 29 years old..I'm 5'6 I weigh 108 pounds, and my menstrual cycle is very regular. I've always been on the small side..I have a tiny body frame. Before I started running, I weighed about 115lbs. I'm not sure what my body fat was before I ran because I never had it checked until recently. I really want to tone up...I just don't know where to start or how much to do ect.

Old 03-26-2005, 06:56 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hitmen HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChappyBoy
Opps! I thought this post was from a guy! Yeah 10% is a little on the low side. I would probably bump up calories and carbs in the diet and get it a little higher. Id be curious to hear your age, weight and height as well.
same here, I have the problem of reading through threads a little too fast sometimes when im short on time.

Last edited by Hitmen; 03-26-2005 at 06:56 PM.

Closed Thread