It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2005, 07:14 AM   #1
(female)

troubled_teen12 HB User
How much weight should I try to lose?

I'm 16 years old, 5'5", and my weight fluctuates from 125-127 lbs. I feel really fat all the time, so I've slowly started eating healthier, and exercising, but not like all of a sudden eating only healthy foods and exercising everyday. It's like I'm trying to get into it, not just rush.. if that makes any sense.

Anyways, I'm not happy with my body and the way i look, and I want to lose weight. But I'm not for sure what a reasonable amount is, and how long will it take me to lose a certain amount of weight. For my age and height, how much should I weigh?

I've taken sodas out of my diet, no chocolate, desert or candy, I have decreased my portions of food, and I don't eat snacks after school anymore. And now, I have been walking more around my neighborhood, and gradually increasing the length of walking up to over a hour. What else would you recommend? Oh and I've also been counting calories and weighing myself regularly.

What kinds of exercises are not to difficult, but effective? One of my problems is the whole time thing, so.. something that could be like, less than an hour, and not something that is too difficult to discourage me. My "problem areas" are my thighs and my lower stomach.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by troubled_teen12; 03-27-2005 at 07:16 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2005, 02:14 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Ding HB User
Re: How much weight should I try to lose?

hey there. my advice, is to focus not on losing weight and calorie counting, but on getting fit. there's a difference between them, and once you've got your fitness level up then you should be able to lose weight quite easily. #

I'm 17, so not much older than you. the way i found worked for me, was to firstly to try and forget about calorie counting for a start. i joined an aerobics class 3 times a week, and found that it was a way of working out that i really enjoyed. over time, this improved my cardio vascular strength, and i felt more happy and healthy, and this made me want to continue. i also found that because i was doing regular excercise, i was burning off what i was eating pretty efficently.
now i've added some weight training and running/swimming into my weekly routine, and it's still goung well (started 7 months ago). i've lost some weight, and feel that i look better. i certainly feel more healthy and alive.

i try not to count calories or weigh myself, just stick to healthy limits and common sense i.e. nothing in excess, and stop when you're full etc. i think thats a much better way to look at things, because its achieveing a long term goal that will last, rather than just looking for a quick fix. i've learnt that there is no magic way to lose weight, unless you want to put yourself at risk. take things slow, and introduce things gradually and i'm sure you'll be fine.
you don't sound overweight by the sounds of your stats though.
good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2005, 07:13 AM   #3
(male)

splicier HB User
Re: How much weight should I try to lose?

yeah you really dont sound overweight to me, im 16, 5'6 and weight like 140 pounds but im not overweight and im in pretty good shape. i go to the gym 3 times a week (mon, wed, fri) and do weights and stuff and i can tell a difference after only 3 months. hope this helps

Last edited by splicier; 03-30-2005 at 07:14 AM.

Closed Thread